Game-Labs Forum

while i love the game already in its current state, i feel like some famous ships that have markedly different designs from others could be added to improve variety and add an ability to improve on historically (in)famous ships. For instance:

-Dunkerque hull and superstructure: this hull would have a raised middeck, relatively light armor  and focus the primary armament forward, allowing for a different playstyle where the focus would lie on keeping the bow of the ship pointed towards the enemy, and avoiding being flanked. 

-Scharnhorst hull and superstructure: this long, slender hull would allow for great speed and good armor at the cost of less heavy armament. what you can't outgun, you can at least outrun. its look is also markedly different from other ships in game, with even british sailors having to admit she looked "like a battleship should look". the atlantic-type raked bow could add a bonus to perhaps accuracy in heavy weather.

-Bismarck hull and superstructure: at the risk of sounding like a wehraboo, if you're gonna add two famously large and powerful battleships from the US and Japan, at least add this german beauty. while her design had some major flaws, she had the same concept as Scharnhorst and the same raked bow, but being wider and better armored. she also looks very different from the Iowa and Yamato, and had plenty of room for secondaries on both her deck and superstructure. 

-Modern Heavy cruiser hulls: baltimore, atlanta, admiral hipper, deutschland, myoko, you name them. if we have modern battleship hulls available, why do we not have modern cruisers? (that being, 1930's?) moar tiny guns!

i submit these suggestions because they would have either a sufficiently different playstyle, would add flavour to the game or allow for more freedom in placement of primary and secondary armament; especially the german ships have interesting secondary arrangements that could add to customizability. besides, who would not want to build a super bismarck? 

let me know what you think!

• Like 2

On 12/4/2019 at 2:35 PM, Cdodders said:

I'm sure these designs will come forth, when the game matures. Remember, this game is in Alpha, and it has a Dev team of 4

Having worked in the field of game dev for a while and having participated in QA testing for a number of games, I firmly agree here. Already the point of progress is impressive for such a small team, but they will need time to implement more hull forms and so on. Additionally, I suspect for the immediate future they will be focused on core game features and mechanistic refinements.

Dunkerque Hull - Quad barrel and all guns forward designs are slated for inclusion at a later date. 

German Hulls - The Scharnhorst and Bismarck hulls are actually very similar, in game we have the dreadnought long and dreadnought wide hulls already, these two are like a 1930's version of those. This will probably translate to the tech for Hull number *x* researching both of them and you the player getting to choose which one you want to use. 

Heavy cruiser hulls - The hull of the Pola is being added today. She's a Zara class cruiser laid down in 1931, and about equivalent to the French Algerie, German Hipper, Spanish Canarias, British York, American New Orleans, Japanese Myokou and Argentine Vinticinco de Mayo. She was the most modern of Italy's heavy cruisers and actually survived the war. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For battleships, some all forward hulls (Dunkerque, Richelieu, Nelson) would be really neat.

For end game UK I'd also love a Vanguard hull. That transom stern and flared bow combo would be really distinctive. Inability to fire forward at close ranges could be compensated by really good seakeeping or something.

Edited by Grims
  • Like 2

Firstly, I'd like to say well done! I found this game yesterday and it is getting very close to what I've been looking for for years! There really is the potential for this to be great! The naval combat that Total War can't deliver, and the realism that World of Warships truly lacks. The Flexibility to build your own designs within the constraints of reality and without being completely messy (From the Depths) really make this good fun. I can't wait for the campaign to be released. 

Some thoughts on ship design...

The Royal Navy produced some really interesting designs battle ship designs between the wars to conform to the various Washington Naval treaties to get as much as they could into a given displacement, one of the more crucial parts of the game. All the other countries just cheated more or less. Obviously the Japanese super battleships and the Iowa's are great but there are some other great designs out there too. 

As such, more flexibility to position the superstructures fore and aft (Like the Nelson Class), quad cannons (like the King George V class and the French Battleships of the era). 

Battlecruiser Hulls (like the MIghty Hood) were long and narrow, I can't tell much difference between the battleship and battle cruiser hull visually or available space wise.  

The Royal Navy had some very cool "Queen Anne's Mansions" superstructure designs which are missing from this game. They are a very cool design that allow a lot of flexibility due to their size and height. (See HMS Warspite, Nelson etc).  

As for secondary guns, the british also had the very effective (latterly) and very cool looking (important for games!) QF5.25 dual purpose guns - they would make a fine addition. 

Lastly, really excited to find a game that I can invest some real hours in. Happy to help if desired (expect not). 

It would be nice to have the hulls come with the option to have casemate mounts present or absent. Sometimes I have empty mounts because I've opted for turrets and sometimes I'd like to see what would happen if casemates stayed on into the 20's and 30's. Ideally casemate mounts would be auto-generated procedurally when you place a casemate gun, like people are asking for with barbettes. Until then, having an A and B option for hulls would be an expedient solution.