Game-Labs Forum

Payment Model

We can't afford to be F2P

We want to make a smaller niche group of people happy and want to cut those who are just chasing one game after another. Those free players will require more servers, more support and will not be invested in the game like you are. 

We are using Guild Wars 2 mode. Buy to play with a store. 

There will be premium ships like our yacht. 

I would not mind a monthly fee at a moderate rate, too. But a monthly fee means good hardware and perfect support. ;)

• Like 1

Here's my favorite model...., I give an agreed upon portion of money to game labs and they give me a first rate. I have fun they make money. They take said money and after drinking a copious amount of vodka and enjoying many many hookers they reinvest into the game some of the money I gave them. Its a win/win that keeps the game alive and being that I'm married at least the single devs can enjoy my money like I use to.....

Edited by Joe
  • Like 1

Subscription model, give those who paid for the game x month for free. Shop only for cosmetic stuff. This is the only way servers gonna stay up and Dev keep on working on new content.

I am not sure this is a good suggestion when viewing todays market. 

Its been proven that buy the game, free to use with a 'Gold' store that doesn't provide Pay to Win are making more income than subbed games. Subs are old hat, and someone slamming £4 a week on odds and sods will gain the developers £16 a month rather than the std £6 - £10 as a sub. also player base would suffer in volume if subbed as casual players would be put off and you need volume.

I am not sure this is a good suggestion when viewing todays market. 

Its been proven that buy the game, free to use with a 'Gold' store that doesn't provide Pay to Win are making more income than subbed games. Subs are old hat, and someone slamming £4 a week on odds and sods will gain the developers £16 a month rather than the std £6 - £10 as a sub. also player base would suffer in volume if subbed as casual players would be put off and you need volume.

Don`t forget that this will be a niche game... same as is EVE which is now running strong since ?9-10? ( with sub payment ) years, one time payments will not keep the servers running and the Devs paid forever.

Cosmetic shop is limited ( if you dont add pay2win in it ), as a paintjob for your cannons or sails is not really something that gets the masses hyped.

NA is not a game that will bring in the masses of 12-18 year old super nerds that spend big bucks from moms CC on fast paced games like Planetside 2. Just check the thread with the average age of the NA players and you will see that Game Labs will be better off with a payment model that aims for the "mature" gamers with an income that can fund a monthly subscription to get their relief from the days in the office.

Edited by MesserJocke

I'm not so sure about that.

Subscription model games have lasted for years.

"Free to play" games usually die off or lose most of their players rapidly.

I think a big problem with cosmetic purchase models in particular is that since the devs need money, they will spend a lot of time inventing new cosmetics.........rather than spending their time working on better gameplay. And as the devs start running out of "realistic" cosmetic options to offer, they start offering sillier and sillier things -- especially silly things that bring in a wad of initial cash but ultimately ruins the flavor of the game.

Like pets.

Would you pay $10 for a pet monkey? Or a parrot on your shoulder? Lots of people would. And after this sort of thing gets offered, the game is going to look like a zoo with parrots, monkeys, rodents, etc, all over the place, following people around. And the game will bring in a wad of cash with this but now the game looks stupid and is going to have a harder time bringing in and keeping new players.

GW2 is actually a great example of this. On release the game had a serious if slightly cartoony aesthetic. Now it's just ridiculous with people wearing really stupid looking cosmetics that have ruined the look of the game.

4 years from now you will find yourself fighting a clown ship with a monkey on the prow that shoots candy canes at you and makes "WHEE!" noises every time it fires because that's what pay-for-cosmetics as an income model always seems to come to.

Edited by Slamz

I don't mind paying a monthly fee and have done that with EQ and EQ 2 with several accounts in my household but once it went F2P with the store it was never the same. GW 2 wasn't bad when I played since nothing in the store was more than cosmetic.

I've just today started looking at this game and maybe I'll come back later. Paying for ships with real money and all this talk about EVE like hopes has me thinking twice. If this game ends up with a monthly fee and no P2W I'll come play otherwise see you all in some other game.

• 3 months later...