Game-Labs Forum

Combat Medals PvE-farming

Combat Medals in my mind, are supposed to be the PvP-currency/-reward. As in, the one reward in this game that can only be attained through PvP participation, and that should encourage players (on the War server) to try out and participate in PvP. Why else would we have so many currencies if not to serve unique purposes.

Lately the age old concern about alt-/friend-farming has resurfaced regarding Combat Medals, as we had before with every attempt  at a PvP currency.

Yet it is ignored that, assuming the premise that Combat Medals are actually supposed to be a PvP-currency and reward players for getting into PvP, alt-farming and friend-farming are minor issues right now. The BIG issue is PvE-farming of Combat Medals.

Anyone right now who tried to exploit by farming his alt for Combat Medals would be an idiot. It is a waste of the ship that is sunk, the cannons on it, and not least of time. It is much more efficient and rewarding to farm PvE Search and Destroy Missions for Combat Medals (I guess you could farm your alt to complete non-PvP Hunt-missions). In fact, actively doing legitimate PvP cannot even compare in profitability to doing a couple of hours of PvE per day. I know of players who have amassed more Combat Medals doing only PvE than any normal PvP-players in their nation.

I approve of the decision to remove Combat Medal rewards directly for kills, and instead give combat medals only for missions. I have suggested this before - with some added modifications I would hope to see also. And the tracking of Steam IDs in counting kills should, depending on the parameters, efficiently prevent rewards for most exploit farming, as well as occasionally deny rewards for some legitimate PvP (this is probably a fair price). We have after all a limited number of active PvP-players on this server, and they tend to run into each other with some regularity.

However, the best way I see to discourage farming, or reduce the consequences of it, is to change the rewards. What is the point of having so many currencies if they are all earned interchangeably? PvP-players are going to be happy with PvP-rewards that let them A. show off that they proficient PvP-players by displaying special flags, paints or other cosmetic items purchased only from PvP-currency, i.e Combat Medals, and B. gives access to some convenience features such as PvP-upgrades that are comparable in strength to PvE-upgrades only acquired through trading and PvE. Also some ship-notes for common ships, but without the need for crafting, including the ship-notes we can now get for DLC-ships.

The reason people farm Combat Medals, whether through alts or now through PvE, is because they must. Combat Medals are used for «everything» and everything is very expensive. Several days are needed in the patrol zones, or doing PvE-missions to pay for a first-rate which an active RvR-environment we are hoping to have after release would require you to use it and risk it daily. The same with all the upgrades for it. Lineship permits need to again be purchased for Victory Marks, or we are going to have nothing to spend our Victory Marks on after we have upgraded all of our ports in a few weeks. It also would mean we had to be strategic about what to invest in first, ships or port upgrades.

The Combat Medal economy needs to be deflated, so that we earn much less Combat Medals than now, but also all prices in Combat Medals are slashed significantly. Make Combat Medals a bonus, a reward for PvP, and a way for PvP-players to show off their proficiency. But take them out of the PvE and RvR-economy. Doubloons and Victory Marks are more than enough for ensuring that we need to grind to upgrade our port facilities.

And please make assists count towards Combat Medal mission rewards. In a fleet-battle you could be the most important player in ensuring a good outcome, by tanking the most damage and finishing off damaged ships, as well as protecting friends. And yet if your own damage output was spread around to where it was most needed, you could be left with no rewards after.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

And please make assists count towards Combat Medal mission rewards. In a fleet-battle you could be the most important player in ensuring a good outcome, by tanking the most damage and finishing off damaged ships, as well as protecting friends. And yet if your own damage output was spread around to where it was most needed, you could be left with no rewards after.

its already being worked on. Assists will be counted for PVP hunt missions. 

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

Combat Medals in my mind, are supposed to be the PvP-currency/-reward.

If CM's are supposed to be the PvP only currency reward, where is the PvE only currency reward and the trading only currency reward? 

If PvP'ers receive an exclusive reward that all need to get ships, books etc. then why shouldnt PvE'ers also receive an exclusive reward that all players need and traders receive similar.

Maybe PvP should only give CM's, PvE gives doubloons and trading gives Reals, that way each group have their own reward and can exchange between themselves to get the ones they do not have.

• Like 1

Just now, Archaos said:

If CM's are supposed to be the PvP only currency reward, where is the PvE only currency reward and the trading only currency reward? 

If PvP'ers receive an exclusive reward that all need to get ships, books etc. then why shouldnt PvE'ers also receive an exclusive reward that all players need and traders receive similar.

Maybe PvP should only give CM's, PvE gives doubloons and trading gives Reals, that way each group have their own reward and can exchange between themselves to get the ones they do not have.

Please read my whole post. 

Especially this part:

20 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

PvP-players are going to be happy with PvP-rewards that let them A. show off that they proficient PvP-players by displaying special flags, paints or other cosmetic items purchased only from PvP-currency, i.e Combat Medals, and B. gives access to some convenience features such as PvP-upgrades that are comparable in strength to PvE-upgrades only acquired through trading and PvE. Also some ship-notes for common ships, but without the need for crafting, including the ship-notes we can now get for DLC-ships.

My point is that players should be able to survive and thrive on the War-server without ever earning a single Combat Medal.

• Like 1