Game-Labs Forum

Galley?

The lack of popularity in the poll may be due to the poll having lots of more known ships like agamemnon etc which are then voted for. The result may actually be different if the poll was about certain types of ships eg: Would you like more frigates, sols, corvettes, galleys. Personally I do not really need or want galleys since they should be obsolete in pretty much every scenario except when they luck out and there is next to no wind on the map... however I would guess that this would rarely happen since my gut says developers would limit wind to slow as a minimum to keep overall gameplay possible. A battle with 2kts of wind would be a real pain.

I would like to know that Galleys were planned even if they don't make Alpha.

The reason is that particularly the shallow sea regions all had a healthy number of galley fleets, both for commerce raiding during calms (Think barbary style pirates) as well as fleets of galleys forming a decent proportion of some nations naval might.

Ottoman Empire, Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Mediterrranean and black sea fleets, of various nations. I believe the British, Spanish and French maintained galleys particularly for coastel work in the Mediterranean. They should not be overlooked in the long term to maintain a historical feel to the game, even if they don't show well in the current Poll

• Like 2

The disadvantages in maintenance and crew as well as sea keeping should be apparent though. 

Rowing mechanics and tactics to defeat them are a whole new ball game. Raking etc Missing a row of guns to have sweeps etc.

I can confirm the french had a few galleys. Large ones called frigate galleys

15520443864_d94a844136_o.png

It does depend on the type of galley. A galley frigate still had broadsides, its crews either manned the oars or the guns. For normal occasions the oars would only be deployed in a calm or for navigating against the wind to enter or exit ports etc.

(This type of vessel were pretty much as the classes of ship we have in game now Cutters, Sloops, Brigs, Corvettes, Frigates) with the option to use sweeps.

Other galleys had a rowing deck without guns, but did have several very heavy calibre forward firing cannon, as well as poop and forecastle decks for beam targets.

For instance at the middle of the time period for Naval Action the Swedish and Russian fleets had heavy galley numbers.

(1741) Swedish naval forces consisting of 10 ships of the line and 4 frigates under Admiral Tomas von Rajalin and 20 galley strong rowing fleet under Admiral Abraham Falkengren moved on 20 May 1741 to the islands near the border.

#

(1742) The main Swedish fleet arrived on 3 June from Sweden under Admiral Sjöstierna and consisted of 15 ships of the line and 5 frigates. The fleet sailed to Äspö (Finnish: Haapasaaret) (25 km SSE from modern day Kotka). A week later, a galley fleet commanded by Admiral Falkengren joined the main fleet, bringing 25 galleys and some support ships. However, unlike in the previous year, the Russian fleet was also active with a galley fleet of 45 galleys under General Vasily Yakovlevich Levashov and an open sea fleet of at least 12 ships of the line under Admiral Zahar Danilovich Mishukov.

So you can see that the Galley was still in heavy use during the mid 18th century and to exclude them would in my opinion ignore history and deny us the opportunity to have some Galley fun :)

• Like 1

well i dont really have the "plans" i just have the idea that a galley type or galleass type in a sailing game is kinda good too.. some of "us" are galley enthusiasts. well it might not be as popular like vaisseau or those frigates and first rates but i think its a good ship too :)

The biggest difference between the true galley and the 'oared ship' is their speed, nimbleness and ability to maintain that speed. The oared ship coming a distant second in capabilities in those departments when under oars/sweeps.

• 4 weeks later...