Game-Labs Forum

Urgent Repair

9 hours ago, Intrepido said:

Dont know but being teorically able to pen a mast at 250m looks a bit too much.

Personally I would also decrease cannon accuracy which can go quite high due to some mods and books.

cannons were actually not that inaccurate as you would believe on a stable platform and a static target that is, the problem is when the ship is moving the heel and waves has nothing to do where the cannonballs go.

Example: you start rolling frontfire, a wave hits the ships which makes it heel abit more, the aim at the end of the broadside isnt affected. Same if a broadside is started, the ships that fires crashes into an other ship, the aim section is still the same but in real life the cannons would aim all over the place because of the sudden stop

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, admin said:

Structure helps to hold the masts together (rig integrity so to speak). When structure goes down damage delivered through raking can pass onto masts. So in lower structure scenarios it is becoming more beneficial to rake to demast than to shoot masts directly. Because if you shoot masts directly you still have to work through thickness. But when raking you bypass the thickness as you also attack the holding structures themselves. 
This effect was not noticeable on live servers because the structure had a 25% hard limit to damage by raking. On testbed this limit is drastically lowered, which allows you to demast by raking more consistently.

Does it matter if you hit the actual mast in the structure or is mast HP and structure combined?  @rediii dismasted my victory with 1 stern rake with double balls a year ago. I always had a very difficult time recreating this so I assumed you need to hit mast inside the ship hull. 

5 hours ago, admin said:

the current model on testbed is the following

• we made it easier (slightly) to destroy mid sections and top sections of masts (lowering HP and thickness).
  • we made it harder to destroy lower mast sections if you fight against ships of the same class. 

As a result when fighting the ship of the same class it is much harder to demast the ship at lower sections, unless you are laying down raking fire from bow and stern. Mods enforce this paradigm as structural damage ignores mast thickness mods. If you are raked consistently on low structure you will get demasted. Gamble - due to mods and asymmetry of information on mods- is reduced and you can expect more consistency with this model. 

I hope so. Tommy Shelby and Mr Doran always said mast balance is easy. I personally don't think it can be done to make everyone happy. As long as it is not impossible to dismast but also not meta I am happy. I think if top a mid section dismasting is easier it could be to easy. It is not that hard to dismast them right now if you want. A bit easier could lead to people kiting downwind again. I guess we should wait and see. 

Testbed does not have the players to test it. I have tried but against AI there is no point. 

Edited by HachiRoku
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Palatinose said:

Imo mid sections should be the target of demasting. If their values were changed proportionally to the new DM that would be okay. Lower sections needed a buff for sure. As Hachi said kiting and spraying into masts should not be a thing.

Increasing gun dispersion as elevation increases would also help with that, or 75 - 100m center mast sniping will still be very viable if as Admin says those hp and thickness values are reduced. More difficult to make a ship dead in the water, but still crippling. 

On 2/18/2019 at 7:56 AM, Wyy said:

cannons were actually not that inaccurate as you would believe on a stable platform and a static target that is, the problem is when the ship is moving the heel and waves has nothing to do where the cannonballs go.

Example: you start rolling frontfire, a wave hits the ships which makes it heel abit more, the aim at the end of the broadside isnt affected. Same if a broadside is started, the ships that fires crashes into an other ship, the aim section is still the same but in real life the cannons would aim all over the place because of the sudden stop

I preach about battle sails having more use over and over.  Not only should this effect repairs so you can't do full repair while at full sails.   YOu shouldn't get full accuracy.  YOu should be in battle sails to get any bonus on your aim.  This will make battles more about that state than folks going full sails running balls to the walls while shooting super accurate laser (fix the stern guys to be same as all) and full repairs on sails/hull.

• Like 1