Game-Labs Forum

Tutorial Exams: How to Pass

Anolytic

So I know there are a couple of other topics and guides about this, and a fair number of videos and walkthroughs on Youtube, but having been repeatedly questioned by different players on how to pass the tutorial exams I got tired of trying to explain without visuals, or simply suggest searching Youtube for videos. 
So I decided to make my own guide. 
The videos are not commented. I don’t think they are more helpful than other guides/walkthroughs by other players. They simply show my simplest approach to each exam.
These were not speed-runs or attempts to solve the exams in fancy ways. I tried to make it as simple and replicable as possible. 
Apart from the final exam I did them all in one go, without restarting. For the final exam I wanted to find a way that was more reliably effective than boarding the first as I previously have done, without demasting which will be difficult for most, and without spending too much time just running and repairing.

Feel free to add to this thread your alternative videos on how to pass the tutorials. Or discuss what are the best methods.

Exam #1: Destruction
Exam #2: Demasting
Exam #3: Boarding
Exam #4: Endurance
Exam #5: Finale
  • Like 14

I always was shitty at demasting. Took a look at the demast video, first attempt was 2.53. 

If I should give you an advice @Anolytic it is to put some text in the videos. A new player will not know why you succes. He might, But it would partly be based on luck. Take the final exame, you use that AI, don’t shoot when you are close, but you also use that it don’t pull you in to  boarding, when the Ai has less Crew.

With some text and they will be the best guide for a new guy.

Edited by staun

On 1/27/2019 at 4:37 AM, Anolytic said:

For the final exam I wanted to find a way that was more reliably effective than boarding the first as I previously have done, without demasting which will be difficult for most, and without spending too much time just running and repairing.

Final exam is pretty routine if you chain down the sails on only one of them and quickly run off to repair and get the other to follow you away from its partner so you can single them each out. AI will always prefer to play "sit-and-spin" so it isn't difficult to find the right time to make a break for it while the fast one is spinning to change broadsides and then string them out. (of course, this plays a lot on the AI's predictable shortcomings rather than actual skill and strategy)

Demasting is pretty much spray and pray for me.  I have better luck doing full stern rakes than aiming individual shots

Edited by Barbancourt

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, The Fox said:

Nice video on final exam but its a bit dated.  Since I noticed the ships are larger in the lates exam and the battle interface is the old one.  Just saying.

to be fair to these videos. the exam ships only just changed a few days ago.