Game-Labs Forum

Perk for Fleets provides unfair advantages

With cargo being of little value to the PVP player the fact that those involved in trading for whatever reason on the PVP player having to use Perk slots to carry a fleet puts an extraordinary boarding Card advantage in the attacking players side.  The PVP player does not need your cargo so he will carry additional boarding perks to provide for a boarding card game advantage.  I suggest a level playing field in the boarding card game as well as an move to have the entire suite of ships to make use of the same defensive cards.

The game is naval action.  If the player wants to kill your ship and sink it do it in the beautifully crafted naval instance shooting.  The mini card game with a 1 to 3 boarding card advantage due to fleet perk requirement has made a ruse of the entire transport action.  DLC ships like the LeReq or Herc with large crews can take ships two and three classes above without the worry of defensive cards in the boarding game if there is a fleet.

All fleets ships should benefit from a card such as a marine card, in the defensive players side.  If you are going to create a card game instead of some skill activity then it should be rendered on a even basis chosen before you leave.  The disadvantage of taking a fleet should not jeopardize your ability to function during some side card game suddenly.

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

Sorry to say it, because I assume you're relatively new, but almost everyone will carry Fleet 1 around, and almost none of us would carry boarding perks over repair or ammo, etc.  So it's not the fleet perks that's affecting your boarding results its almost assuredly your mods on your ship and your boarding skill.

Carry barricades and another mod that increases disengage time... Get Book of the Five Rings if you can, etc.

I think you are mistaken.  Maybe you carry a fleet1 but those rabid LeReq do not.  I change from two fleets to none depending on my actions.  This is currently very expensive in Doubloons so limits my play in the latter fit out.   If you carry no fleet perks the 1 to 3 perk slots filled with boarding items certainly slants to battle against the newer players.  

The suggestion is to remove the perks from this counter to give the newer defensive players a fighting chance and maybe something a bit more competitive for the regular players.  Right now the winning of a boarding battle in less than a minute is the norm. 

48 minutes ago, angriff said:

The suggestion is to remove the perks from this counter to give the newer defensive players a fighting chance and maybe something a bit more competitive for the regular players.  Right now the winning of a boarding battle in less than a minute is the norm.

Nothing to do with perks.

1 hour ago, angriff said:

I think you are mistaken.  Maybe you carry a fleet1 but those rabid LeReq do not.  I change from two fleets to none depending on my actions.  This is currently very expensive in Doubloons so limits my play in the latter fit out.   If you carry no fleet perks the 1 to 3 perk slots filled with boarding items certainly slants to battle against the newer players.  

This has nothing to do with perks, you are confusing them with upgrades and skill books.

Generally people have the fleet perk because it can be better to capture a ship instead of sinking it.

Get some boarding upgrades and books if your worried about boarding. Perks won't help you.

Or learn how to board...

VN0OmcI.png

Edited by Kawazz

@angriff as some veterans stated: don't switch perks. Fleet 1 is one of the most necessary perks. It provides flexibility sufficient for  at least 90% of your playtime. Exceptions for re-perking could be port battles or occasions where you move lots of stuff (e.g. new main warehouse), some use carronade master occasionally. 

• Like 1