Game-Labs Forum

Ship Crafting RNG, Good or Bad?

Well here it is folks … ship crafting RNG, good or bad.

My opinion is that the ship in game should be a platform to build off of... if we are randomly limited for upgrade slots to install upgrades for said ship by RNG how can we obtain a truly balanced game? If we were to let go of the RNG in ship quality when crafting and simply make it so that the ships when crafted have 5 upgrade slots, how would this be a detriment to the game and what is your position on this.

I like the random factor in crafting, but in the long term I really feel that the capacity to make a ship really good should be more up to the players than by random in game RNG factors. After all, if players knew they had the same quality of ship as other players could have, would they not be more prone to attack in open world? The balancing factor would be the fact that all ships of a certain design would share the same statistics aside from the implications of crafting said ship out of different materials. The number of upgrade slots would be the balancing factor.

I think it also worthy to note... a ship that has 3 upgrade slots when crafted costs the same as a lucky 5 slot build, the value of said ship goes sky high because of the extra upgrade slots, were we ever restricted historically by upgrade slots to give our own navy men swords to fight with... or an extra gun? I feel that the in game fights would be better if we got rid of RNG in ship crafting and simply made it so that all ships got the 5 upgrade slots, no more ridiculous RNG in ship crafting, it just seems redundant when there are so many upgrades available.

This was a simple players opinion, any replies that contribute to the points in this post are welcome, any replies that combat the points in this post are welcome... I look forward to reading every ones point of view on the matter of RNG in crafting ships, is the RNG good or bad.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Slim McSauce said:

It's really arbitrary and adds nothing to the game.

The guy who gets lucky is happy to sell his 5/5 fast trinco. That's how I understand it's worth.

Don't underestimate the slot machine effect.

The satire writes itself...

• Like 2

Just now, Wyy said:

imo you should be able to build in the ship "upgrades" from the drydock, only interchangeable would be stuff you really could interchange

I like this, replace what is currently luck with no player input into a system revolving on crafters working on their ships to improve them, not just a random number telling them "hey good job you earned this bonus" when they didn't have any part or say in how the quality of the ship would turn out (even though they're the ones literally building it from the ribs up)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jodgi said:

The guy who gets lucky is happy to sell his 5/5 fast trinco. That's how I understand it's worth.

I see what your saying... and the slot machine effect is fun, I just fail to see how that is needed in a game like this one... Perhaps an RNG perk would be ok... but not the upgrade slots in my opinion.

If I had to consider it further I would say... no RNG and build the upgrades into the ship design from the frame up as quoted by Wyy

Edited by LIONOFWALES
  • Like 1

Just now, jodgi said:

Don't underestimate the slot machine effect.

The satire writes itself...

slot machines with cosmetics usually works well. I think the opposite is what people complain about (talking about the whole EA scandle of loot box-progress)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LIONOFWALES said:

Yes I agree... how do you feel about RNG in ship crafting?

its shit, rng is always shit. Its not like if they made a Victory v2 at the same era it would be extra sturdy yet you used the exact materials and plans :P 

2 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

slot machines with cosmetics usually works well. I think the opposite is what people complain about (talking about the whole EA scandle of loot box-progress)

Yes... for sure, I think I know what you are suggesting... 

I like the idea of having craftable cosmetics also...

Just now, LIONOFWALES said:

Yes... for sure, I think I know what you are suggesting... 

I like the idea of having craftable cosmetics also...

the only rng i could live with would be for chest drop and the loot from chests

1 minute ago, Wyy said:

its shit, rng is always shit. Its not like if they made a Victory v2 at the same era it would be extra sturdy yet you used the exact materials and plans :P 

Yes... the ship in my opinion, should be a platform to build off of for a particular purpose, please no more RNG in ship crafting, it seems so unrequired.

2 minutes ago, LIONOFWALES said:

Yes... the ship in my opinion, should be a platform to build off of for a particular purpose, please no more RNG in ship crafting, it seems so unrequired.

i could live with resources would have separate grades, for instance "fresh oak" or "aged oak" and crafting from those would chose if it would be sturdy or fast build, and these resources would be rng from the lumberyard, just to think out loud. 

9 minutes ago, Wyy said:

i could live with resources would have separate grades, for instance "fresh oak" or "aged oak" and crafting from those would chose if it would be sturdy or fast build

This would be really cool to add in game... we could then build the Constitution out of Live oak and oak and it could be historically accurate regarding its speed.

Live oak/Oak and 13 knots capable... equals awesome. I got this info off of Wikipedia research USS Constitution.

Edited by LIONOFWALES

How about keep the crafting RNG for ships, but add the ability to refit your ships at a shipyard to add more upgrade slots. How would this work?
You craft a ship, 3/5 slots. Instead of that being the end of it you can put your ship under refit, add some materials for for some lh you add 1 slot to the ship and you can do this as many times up to 5 slots.

Why would this be good? With enough effort from crafters, you can take a captured POS and turn it into a fairly decent combat ship over time.
You capture the ship with 1 slot out of 5, you work on it until it gets 5 slots. Boom, crafters are rewarded for their efforts (REAL efforts, not luck)

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

RNG evens out over time so stop crying and start crafting! :P Bonus here is that you'll end up feeding your nation with cheap ships in good wood quality, get some competition in the ship selling market, keep the consumption rare resources high, make port ownership mater some what and keep our fragile economy spinning.

Go RNG Jesus! 🙏