Game-Labs Forum

DLC in the future?

4 hours ago, jodgi said:

Imagine if crafted ships had four or five perm slots while imported ships always had three; Crafted ships would always be preferred but imported ones could be used for their convenience without "destroying" ship crafting eco?

This might work.  Particularly if the DLCs included a mutually exclusive option to either 1) spawn ships as they currently do (but with three slots) or 2) grant a permit to allow crafting from a blueprint.  Which the crafter could use to make market-competitive ships.  Doesn't address PB balance issues but it might protect the market side of the game.  The devil is all in the details as to how it is balanced.

I suspect, though, that there is likely something in the DLC agreement with Steam that could prevent big changes to existing ones.

Edited by John Jacob Astor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Jacob Astor said:

Having watched the lower tier of the Charleston market pretty much go into the toilet after the Le Req and Herc were added I will have to disagree with that.

DLCs (as currently structured) in a high enough concentration WILL result in the collapse of the shipbuilding economy in whatever class range they compete against.

Can't have it both ways.  It's just math.  Either have a DLC ship game or a craft economy game.  Pick one.

The only way this mixed system works is if there are SIGNIFICANT advantages to using crafted ships, which are NOT available to a DLC.  Then DLCs would not be using up market oxygen required for crafted ship sales.  This is not currently the case.  And the new insurance is not a big enough driver.

The economy may change. The number of players will. The DLC ship stats may be fine-tuned. Too early to assess the economy.

btw there are at least 3 economic realities in NA : that of clans, that of lonely players that have time to play, that of the casual players that have no time to deal with the Economy ; not to mention lots of PvE players who certainly rarely lose a ship, thus rarely need the market and would be happy to sail shiny DLC ships without being a big loss for the economy.

42 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

The economy may change. The number of players will. The DLC ship stats may be fine-tuned. Too early to assess the economy.

btw there are at least 3 economic realities in NA : that of clans, that of lonely players that have time to play, that of the casual players that have no time to deal with the Economy ; not to mention lots of PvE players who certainly rarely lose a ship, thus rarely need the market and would be happy to sail shiny DLC ships without being a big loss for the economy.

Which is fine.  So IF there is going to be an economy, let's not be adding DLC ships until it is capable of absorbing them.

Unlike the last time.

Either that, or be done with the economy altogether and push it over the side.

Won't be my game then, but the game itself will be fine either way.

17 hours ago, John Jacob Astor said:

Which is fine.  So IF there is going to be an economy, let's not be adding DLC ships until it is capable of absorbing them.

Unlike the last time.

Either that, or be done with the economy altogether and push it over the side.

Won't be my game then, but the game itself will be fine either way.

To say so, you really must be interested in virtual economy ! 🙂

Aren't you also a bit interested in seeing amazing ships in game that could only be funded by DLCs ?

Edited by LeBoiteux

45 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

Aren't you also a bit interested in seeing amazing ships in game that could only be funded by DLCs ?

The discussions about DLC ships should actually be avoided by everyone  (for big ships)

we all believe i think, that we don't need NA legends in the first place.

the NA legend type of game can ruin this one (building ships and rvr and economics)

lets be smart and focus on other DLC features.

just an opinion and you are all entitled to scream on other ships DLC,  but i believe they have to come in the game in a natural birth manor and not as DLC ufo,s

to make an exception is the 7 and 6 rate, and  some more specific (DLC 7~6 ) ships but that's it...i would rather see some more unusual DLC 6 rates [ yachts~fluits ~fishing vessels  ~cutters~aken and other transport vessels~ row boats ~sampan~ ]

i also believe that the current Ships DLC is already too strong on the game,   and has a to big impact on the current economy...(we need fine tuning on spawning time )

my 2 cents on DLC

@admin bronze foundry ( DLC) 

to make bronze guns in the game {just a feature to make the ship lighter, nothing more} 

ps. DLC is completely a matter of the decisions of the developers to implement or not to implement.

Edited by Thonys

31 minutes ago, Thonys said:

just an opinion and you are all entitled to scream on other ships DLC,  but i believe they have to come in the game in a natural birth manor and not as DLC ufo,s

Excuse my poor English but what do you mean by "natural birth manor'. You mean when Daddy Surprise meets Mummy Niagara and... well... ? 

I am not talking about DLC ufos but about DLC 'plain' ships as a way to finance the implementation of new ships in game. 🙂

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

Excuse my poor English but what do you mean by "natural birth manor'. You mean when Daddy Surprise meets Mummy Niagara and... well... ? 

I am nit talking about DLC ufo but about DLC ships as a way to finance the implementation of new ships in game. 🙂

agreed 

on natural birth, i mean;   ships made by shipbuilders in the game by players [time factor]

✝️ every ship need to be baptized don't you think  :) its Sunday after all

Edited by Thonys

1 minute ago, Thonys said:

on natural birth, i mean; made by shipbuilders in the game by players 

I knew it. Just a joke.

It's natural from an in-game economic point of view. 

But from an IRL economic point of view, NA devs have an economic choice to make when they want to implement a new given ship :

• implement her directly in game. Free.
  • make her a paid DLC 
  • (+ crowdfunding but then the devs are not entirely free to choose the ship)

And one of the selection criterion is : can we finance her without extra funding.

My view : I wish as many 'plain' ships as possible, whatever the source of financing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeBoiteux said:

No.

As currently structured a DLC ship game and a player-to-player economy game are fundamentally incompatible.  There are probably ways to do it but as the DLCs currently are deployed, NO.  As the number of DLC ships in the game increases that necessarily means fewer players buying ships in the markets.  Or crafting their own and buying resources in the markets.

It's just math.

What hooked me on the game early last spring was the player-to-player economy.  The DLC impact on that was not pretty.  Adding line ships as DLCs should about completely kill it.  Might be a fun game but it will be time for me to find a different one.

Having said that, the developers need to pick what sort of game they want to deploy and go with that.  Ships that players buy for real money, or ships from players.  Ships for real money (as currently deployed) breaks ships from players.

Right now it looks like they are trying to have it both ways.

Edited by John Jacob Astor
clarification