Game-Labs Forum

True Economy: An Experiment and Vote

Remove European Trader: Yea or Nay?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Remove European Trader: Yea or Nay

32 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Do I think that solo players have the right to exist and play the game they want? Absolutely. Should they adjust their expectations about how they can do so given certain types of economic shifts? Perhaps.

That is an interesting question, and one that has caused quite a bit of shouting here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Victuals will spoil, wood will rot, metal will rust, ropes will get brittle, salt will get rock, ... given enough time sitting forgotten in a corner of a warehouse...

Quoting cnet discussions...."Turns out, sugar takes the cake when it comes to extended shelf life. Granulated sugar can last up to two years in the pantry after opening. Technically, sugar never spoils. While it's recommended that granulated sugar be discarded after two years, chances are it will still serve its baking purpose even beyond that. The same guidelines apply to brown sugar and confectioner's or powdered sugar."

Why should my sugar go bad?  Should stay in my hold for at least 2 years.  Cnet says so.  :P

4 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

Why should my sugar go bad?  Should stay in my hold for at least 2 years.  Cnet says so.  :P

Heh, have you ever lived in the tropics?  Everything disintegrates at an alarming rate.  Everything. 

I would hate any mechanic that diminishes our warehouse and stores.  Farming, hauling and crafting is already too much of a chore and distraction from "naval ACTION" without having to farm and haul the same resources multiple times because they have a limited shelf life.  The rich would get richer, and the poor would get poorer. I don't want to sell things anyway - I just want to use what I have acquired to go about the ACTION part. 

Edited by Barbancourt
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Wraith said:

But that's sort of the point. There's demand. It's being met, but by the Euro trader.

Without the Euro trader mechanic, demand would go up, prices would go up... Enterprising individuals would start producing and selling said products.  

Which is the kind of stuff that keeps me interested in the game.  I am actually still attempting to be one of those enterprising individuals.

10 hours ago, Wraith said:

The problem, is that the dev's have shown zero inclination towards making this side of the economy work through a proper analysis, simulation, and detailed look at the flow of base products through ship production, and balance that with some idea of how much cost/time it takes to keep players in ships vs. keeping production and inflation in check.  THIS IS HARD, and requires significant development resources and specialization.

And in consequence I find myself smacking into game mechanics that seem designed to throttle growth in player-to-player transactions.  Or designed for something else and Econ 101 is an afterthought.  It's hard to tell.  This is my first MMO and I really have nothing to compare it to.

Still in the game, but we'll see what happens with the economy re-balance.

13 hours ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Victuals will spoil, wood will rot, metal will rust, ropes will get brittle, salt will get rock, ... given enough time sitting forgotten in a corner of a warehouse...

And ships sailing or sitting in docks is not affected or becomes slower and less sturdy due to age and weather?

If you wish to propose a decay mechanism then please see the logic in using it on all things in game.

2 hours ago, Niagara said:

And ships sailing or sitting in docks is not affected or becomes slower and less sturdy due to age and weather?

If you wish to propose a decay mechanism then please see the logic in using it on all things in game.

I did, in many other threads. Let me be. Not going to post the entire folder of ideas in every single thread.

I dream of the day when not only is there no Euro trader but all trade goods and mods are produced by players and consumed by ports or players. Ports need whiskey or violins or jewels to be happy and functioning. I dream of the day when sinking a trader costs the enemy, not just a player, when a vibrant economy benefits the warrior and the trader. But I have impossible dreams...

• Like 2