Game-Labs Forum

Identities in the OW: A more realistic approach

Devs and folks alike, regarding player identification in OW: Why not supress it completely?

You wil not know who the other guy/gal is until he/she decides to show ID (i can hear "Hoist the Colours!!!)  or approaches within let's say 1km. Friends and foes alike, with maybe one sign in case he/she belongs to your clan. Maybe also with an interface to agree or not agree to show IDs simultaneously.

And ships and fleets recognizable only by visual/spyglass is great.

Only in battle groups and battle instance you know who are the other guys involved with or against you, what ship they are in, and the rest we already have now.

Would love to hear from you all guys!

• Like 5

Why not stay incognito in battle aswell then? No names, anywhere ingame? Also, no names in the market, we don't need to know who we are bidding against?

We'll only fight nameless pixels ... only ships and br are visible, only npc's get a nametag.

Because, if it doesn't make a difference in OW, then we don't need to know in batlle either?

Yeah I thought about that too. But you would always have to reveal your identity first in order to tag someone. Considering false flags, I thought about some very rare loot (and I mean very rare) that you come by and which consist of the code books of a nation. So you can set the flag of that nation and give the right signal in return to fool a ship of the same nation that is hailing your ship. The process of the return signal is automated and runs in the background so that the real signal is never presented to the player. With that the devs don't have to design or implement some kind of flag mechanic (although nation flags in OW would be really nice ;)) and no one really knows what they look like and thus it prevents the miss use by alts. Additionally the signal is changed every few days.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eyesore said:

Why not stay incognito in battle aswell then? No names, anywhere ingame? Also, no names in the market, we don't need to know who we are bidding against?

We'll only fight nameless pixels ... only ships and br are visible, only npc's get a nametag.

Because, if it doesn't make a difference in OW, then we don't need to know in batlle either?

I could agree if in the battle you are always able to identify friend from foe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Dragon 13 said:

Devs and folks alike, regarding player identification in OW: Why not supress it completely?

You wil not know who the other guy/gal is until he/she decides to show ID (i can hear "Hoist the Colours!!!)  or approaches within let's say 1km. Friends and foes alike, with maybe one sign in case he/she belongs to your clan. Maybe also with an interface to agree or not agree to show IDs simultaneously.

And ships and fleets recognizable only by visual/spyglass is great.

Only in battle groups and battle instance you know who are the other guys involved with or against you, what ship they are in, and the rest we already have now.

Would love to hear from you all guys!

1km in OW means ontop of your ship. Dont get fooled by ow distance. Tag circle is 20km. Did anyone else not wonder why a SOL is as long as a town? ;-)

Edited by z4ys

4 hours ago, z4ys said:

1km in OW means ontop of your ship. Dont get fooled by ow distance. Tag circle is 20km. Did anyone else not wonder why a SOL is as long as a town? ;-)

20 km is only 12.4 miles.  So for an observer on ground level that stands 5'7" (1.7m), the horizon is at a distance of 2.9 miles (4.7 km).  For an observer standing on a hill or tower (crows nest) 100 feet (30 m) in height, the Horizon is 12.2 miles (19.6 km).  While I'm sure not much details can be seen at this distance, but if you pass closer you should have an optoin to get the info and decide if you tag them or call off the attack.  I'm fine with not seeing details at a distance, but there should be some means in game to get that info instead of pulling some one into a battle ever time.

Folks have to remember this is a game after all not a simulator.  Games are meant to be fun for the majority of the players, not just for a select few.

• Like 2

Just a prospective of distance from about 300-400 up in the air on top of a drilling rig.  While over caste you can honestly only see so far, but that is our tag circle distance they are saying, but the actually distance inside when pulled isn't that far off.  Canary Islands is the location of the picture. I was trying to find the ones of another rig being towed out of a shipyard in Brazil, it was a location very popular used by pirates to hit gold ships.  

makOSrD.jpg

• Like 1

This thread sparks some interesting thoughts.

I have agree with with Sir Texas Sir, he is well informed.  The game is not a simulator.  It is meant to be fun for players who think "fun" is fighting.

Naval Action is focused on combat, fast action, with limited waiting.  The realism, in the description of the game, must refer to graphics and a limited amount of physics for sailing and ballistics.  Realism is not a favorable word if it detracts from access to lots of battles Fighting is key with only a little delay between combat.    Suggestions get more traction if they are focused on improving fighting.

But ...

I like sailing and these ideas could make sailing more interesting. In OW, it would be fascinating to see sails only at a distance,  and wait to identify the nation by the paint scheme or a static flag from a closer distance, and details of the ship's name or captain's name would be limited.  These type of details would make OW sailing much more interesting than the instant display of text  in the magic UI.    But because none of this realism would increase the number or frequency of fights, it is highly unlikely that any of them will be considered.

From a realism point of view, how feasible is it that ships can be recognized on sight?  Consider the number and differences of ships that were historically in the Caribbean compared to the number of ships and their cloned similarity in Naval Action.  I image that there were less ships back in the day, but perhaps there were more.  In the age of sail it took much longer to build ships, and they were destroyed much less often.  It seems that large ships might become well known and many sailors could tell you where she was from at a glance.  But so many vessels might be unknown. I imagine that there were lots of ships that sailors had no idea where they were from and absolutely no clue who was in command until they were within shouting distance.

I digress.  These ideas are moot.  They have nothing to do with the Action in Naval Action.  These ideas would provide more content, and more to do, while sailing, but sailing is not a key focus in the open world of Naval Action.  Sailing is a distraction between opportunities for other interests. 

tall+ship.JPG

Edited by Macjimm
grammar

1 hour ago, Red Dragon 13 said:

Maybe we could have mods or books called "Enhanced spyglass" or "Old Seawolf" or the like, that could help recognize at longer distances what ship you have spotted and/or who her captain is.

Even though I'm more in favor of having the info show when your within tagging distance.  If your that close to each other and most the time it's not skirting the circle your prob about to find out any way in battle who they are.  This just means you can hail each other per say at that range.  Devs said they had a function like this before in game.  @admin could the Hail function be coded to only work within a range of a ship (say within the tag circle?)  You are still risking being tagged to make contact with the ship and either way it's to late to do other wise if they have bad intentions.  Remember many ships did sail under false colors until right before attacking, it wasn't just a pirate thing.  Privateers used it all the time and waited until the last moment before shots are fired to show who they where.  This is more what we are asking for in game to have on the OW and not having to tag and pull them into battle very time to do so.

• Like 1