Game-Labs Forum

Motivate to do PVP

1 hour ago, Sento de Benimaclet said:

When did I say that? Of course the main thing is the great talent they have. But if the gap between veterans and novices grows more and more, people will not leave the green areas. That's why I suggest PVP Marks as an incentive for people to be encouraged to do PVP. Not charity, but incentive. Greetings !!!

The gap gets bigger and bigger because there is no duell room anymore.  When we had it, we all went in just to try out new meta-gameplay. Now you can't. Practicing real pvp is just expensive as hell right now (not the ship but the perm upgrades) but with enough dedication you will eventually learn it too.

2 hours ago, Never Surrender said:

The gap gets bigger and bigger because there is no duell room anymore.  When we had it, we all went in just to try out new meta-gameplay. Now you can't. Practicing real pvp is just expensive as hell right now (not the ship but the perm upgrades) but with enough dedication you will eventually learn it too.

This is so silly. Basic upgrades are dirt cheap. Mercurys are dirt cheap. A quarter of the map is a shallow zone. Go roam the shallows in 6th rates at no cost.

But wait, this won't happen because your wrong about why these people are risk adverse. Even if ships and upgrades were free, some players are too afraid lose. 

I can't help but eye roll at the arguments here. I've seen superior numbers and firepower turn tail and run at the smallest signs of aggression because a lot of players are fundamentally risk adverse no matter what you do. 

4 hours ago, Flinch said:

This is so silly. Basic upgrades are dirt cheap. Mercurys are dirt cheap. A quarter of the map is a shallow zone. Go roam the shallows in 6th rates at no cost.

But wait, this won't happen because your wrong about why these people are risk adverse. Even if ships and upgrades were free, some players are too afraid lose. 

I can't help but eye roll at the arguments here. I've seen superior numbers and firepower turn tail and run at the smallest signs of aggression because a lot of players are fundamentally risk adverse no matter what you do. 

I suspect that overall, you are correct about many players: the fear of losing is stronger than the desire for competition. Since the merge I have tried to do more PVP but even tho I can fairly easily replace any ship I lose except 1st rates, I still hesitate to use my best ships and perma mods. I'm working on this shortcoming.

I still do agree with the gist of the OP that giving a PVP Mark or two to the losers who fight valiantly (deal significant damage) would have a positive effect. It may not motivate alot of players, but the game (our nation) would be recognizing our efforts to fight for its cause.

Edited by Farrago

18 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

A seal is whatever can't fight back in any effective sense. 

Seal clubbing is a term comming from when " hunters " would walk along the breeding grounds of seals and " club " the babies to death with sticks because babies where newborn and weak. Therefore seal clubbing refers to killing new born players aka noobs and does not mean killing stupid or weak players because they are stupid or weak.

5 hours ago, Flinch said:

You are correct.  Some people are just cowards and fearful of a fight, even a pixels one, and will always complain about it as being unfair. 

I used to capture players in 1st rates with a rattlesnake and was told i was being unfair and picking on people.  It was so bad on the US coast all you had to do was attack any ship and they would just surrender. 

4 hours ago, Mrdoomed said:

Seal clubbing is a term comming from when " hunters " would walk along the breeding grounds of seals and " club " the babies to death with sticks because babies where newborn and weak. Therefore seal clubbing refers to killing new born players aka noobs and does not mean killing stupid or weak players because they are stupid or weak.

There's no difference in terms of potential difficulty, and that is what matters not semantics.  The game needs to promote and reward relatively even fights, so people are encouraged to create good battles for the benefit of everyone's enjoyment and the game's survival, instead of the easy-mode farming of small ships which should not pay out PVP marks because nothing was risked.  Losers who spend 30-45 minutes in a battle instance chasing empty toothless trader ships for "PVP" marks detract from the game.  5-on-1 ganks detract from the game.  Let's have warship battles, and ones that are enjoyable for all involved. 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)