Game-Labs Forum

Show an animation when a ship is pumping.

In real life, you could tell if a vessel was making a lot of water because you could see the jet of water coming from the pumps and going over the leeward side.  At some point in the future, I'd like to see this in the game as well.  When a ship is in survival mode and is actively pumping water (there's still blue in the compass/wind indicator), there should be a jet of water going over the side that is visible from other ships.  This would be another step towards a more realistic understanding of how damaged another ship is without having to use gamey indicators.

• Like 3

In real life, you could tell if a vessel was making a lot of water because you could see the jet of water coming from the pumps and going over the leeward side.  At some point in the future, I'd like to see this in the game as well.  When a ship is in survival mode and is actively pumping water (there's still blue in the compass/wind indicator), there should be a jet of water going over the side that is visible from other ships.  This would be another step towards a more realistic understanding of how damaged another ship is without having to use gamey indicators.

I like this idea but wouldn't most ships in a fight be pumping water out throughout the battle? I like the idea as long as its a realistic indication but wouldn't you have to have a change of volume being pumped shown between normal pumping and survival mode pumping in order to make it realistic. I do like the idea overall. I just have these questions concerning it.

• Like 1

You can tell how much water is taken by how low the ship is riding.

I don't think its about knowing that the ship is taking on water but that the ship is in survival mode which would be nice information to be able to glean from looking at the other ship.

• Like 1

I don't think its about knowing that the ship is taking on water but that the ship is in survival mode which would be nice information to be able to glean from looking at the other ship.

F information get money

money money.. something money

I like this idea but wouldn't most ships in a fight be pumping water out throughout the battle? I like the idea as long as its a realistic indication but wouldn't you have to have a change of volume being pumped shown between normal pumping and survival mode pumping in order to make it realistic. I do like the idea overall. I just have these questions concerning it.

Manning the pumps took a fair number of people if I understand it correctly.  This wasn't a little hand pump, but a large pump which took a lot of men to service.

That said, while I'm using realism to back up the argument, this is also a gameplay suggestion.

just make sure it only shows when they are actually pumping water. I have already been tricked once by someone who was sitting low cause they were holding water so I over extended to make sure they were finished and after shooting and moving on to the next target who had moved to engage me only to look behind a few seconds later to the same ship that looked like it was going down riding  high on the seas again with almost full armor lol.

A valid point, but remember some ships were so prone to take on water pumping was almost a 24/7 operation. It was also good practice for ships going into battle to pump out all of its bilge water to give carpenter an empty hull in order to better judge new leaks and make the ship more manouvrable.  When did they finish pumping this water out ?

I think it would be a nice touch to add this, but as mentioned in posts higher up, perhaps not an urgent use of developer time whilst so many more mechanics are being worked on.