Game-Labs Forum

Tag time

the time in the current game which is 15 seconds

is to long.....

with the current speeds and upgrades, you can t even tag a ship when it is possible to attack 

example :

it saw a home fleet slowly sailing and in the distance I saw a pirate enemy

he sailed towards me(me +home fleet were sailing slowly 100 meters from  each other )

so if i could attack the enemy as soon as i could have a  big fight, but what happens, as soon as the attack circle said i could engage attack i pressed the button attack

the timer of 15 seconds went in a countdown, but i could not get him into battle he just sailed to the other end of the tag circle and  passed me without any concern

the tag timer need to be changed from 15 to 5 second to get even a fast ship into battle 

ps:what is the use of a home fleet is you can just ignore it???     its useless then to have a home fleet and becomes an obsolete feature what eats graphical power 

also the defender gets the circle (what has changed recently ) that increases the distance between engagement as well 

that is also a feature that has to be undone as well (it does not work for pvp possibility) 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also there is a possibility to have a new skill book on this subject or perk(what reduces tag timer time)

Edited by Thonys

36 minutes ago, Rychu Karas said:

how about NO?

If you are not able to keep someone enough close within 15sec, probably you will not be able to keep him also in battle. why do you want to waste time for all of you?

how about yes ?

in this case the homefleet is not listening to your commands (it is the homefleet AI NPC)

you seems not to be able to read  enough

also "keep in battle "what are you talking about.... thereis no battle at all, its about getting someone in battle at all

Edited by Thonys

11 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Instant tag and instant battle close.

That will work... both ways.

agree on the instant battle tag 

instant close is a bummer for your group mates, than every battle is 1vs1(probably)

Edited by Thonys

3 minutes ago, shaeberle84 said:

More like battle always open. Would also solve the ganking and revenge fleet problem we have in the other topic. ^^

that has been discussed on other forum topics allready 

my verdict on this one was, keep it open for 15 minutes but that feature was to "hot"  (it ended up by having a perk for that )

but keep it OT this is about the Tag TIMER

Edited by Thonys

Well.....

has to work both ways or what ? 

PvP is both willing and unwilling, the risk of being on a bad spot and the reward of closing on the enemy while sailing in a squad.

Cannot only be willing, right ? Because when one player is willing to tag you you will be unwilling to be tagged ( unless there's a 99% guarantee you will have the upper hand ) and when you are willing to tag the other player will be unwilling to be tagged...

... and goes on and on and on...

I will vouch for battle always open on a real time region instance ( optional and can be bypassed if not interested in what's going on there ).

But back to the subject.

Timer can be reduced according to join timer reduction as well. Reckon we have a opportunity here to return to the best RoE we had. 2 minutes, big circle. And the 20 seconds tag, technically making a "warning" timer up to 3 minutes - 1 minute of spotting, approach and tag and 2 minutes to join.

6 minutes ago, shaeberle84 said:

Yes, at least get rid of the positional spawn circles.

and spawn where ? how ? why ? please justify it correctly to level gameplay, both willing and unwilling situations :)

2 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

and spawn where ? how ? why ? please justify it correctly to level gameplay, both willing and unwilling situations :)

The OP is right, we should focus on TIMERS here.

Problem is:

We have non-positional circles to jump missions and positional circles for PVP fights. WHY?

Pirate gankers can chose their spawn location on the open world when they jump missions. But the revenge fleet will have to do a 'perfect tag' in order to catch them, because the majority of players will have to use the spawn circle WAY DOWN from the tag location. WHY?

15 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Yep, 5 seconds tag timer. 90 seconds join timer. Just for fairness sake, wherever in the world the encounter might be.

"Protected waters reach as far as the guns"

well if you have a big ship and have to turn into the wind(overshoot) to go back, you are not going to make the 90 seconds 

so make the 90 seconds>> , 180 seconds (that works better (bad winds)also 180sec,  is also 90 seconds from further away from  the target  also (further distance in battle )

ps also do not forget the distance to the joining circle takes time (especially heavier ships)

Edited by Thonys

1 minute ago, rediii said:

With a 5 second timer no ship can ever be catched sailing away from you in the OW.

You will be at maxrange in the battle and Either chase the other ship for about 40 min or he escapes before that.

defencetag should not be possible. tag behind you shouldnt work. Circle has to be smaller.

True

also, you need to be closer than to have a "good"tag

and that need skills aswell 

but that should be the skill of the tagger (in the fleet)

Heavier ships won't have the closure rate hence the prolonged timer will simply shift early advantage to the fast ship anyway, won't change a thing :) 

Would be like flying a bird which not so good of a climber trying to chase a zoomer... will never ever work.

I never understood why the tag timer is 15 sec.. IMO it is a way to high and the way this tag timer works is just a clumsy game mechanic that is preventing good PvP.  

The battle should happen instantly when the attack button is pressed. The tag circle could be made a bit smaller to aid the defender and als o ensure better tags in general. Then we all get to waist less time on bad tags.

14 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

I never understood why the tag timer is 15 sec.. IMO it is a way to high and the way this tag timer works is just a clumsy game mechanic that is preventing good PvP.  

The battle should happen instantly when the attack button is pressed. The tag circle could be made a bit smaller to aid the defender and als o ensure better tags in general. Then we all get to waist less time on bad tags.

- If someone is sailing an 8 knot Vic and a 15 knot reno is trying to catch them they can get a max range defensive tag instantly and escape with ease. Sounds like you're gonna be wasting a whole lot of time on bad tags.

As Heth said, it works both ways.

3 minutes ago, Aegir said:

- If someone is sailing an 8 knot Vic and a 15 knot reno is trying to catch them they can get a max range defensive tag instantly and escape with ease. Sounds like you're gonna be wasting a whole lot of time on bad tags.

As Heth said, it works both ways.

Don't be so negative, just read thoroughly: "The tag circle could be made a bit smaller to aid the defender and also ensure better tags in general. Then we all get to waist less time on bad tags". The defensive tags is already an issue with the current mechanics, so it would only speed up the process.

1 hour ago, Tiedemann said:

Don't be so negative, just read thoroughly: "The tag circle could be made a bit smaller to aid the defender and also ensure better tags in general. Then we all get to waist less time on bad tags". The defensive tags is already an issue with the current mechanics, so it would only speed up the process.

Ah, my bad.

2 hours ago, Otto Kohl said:

Tag timer is ok. 15 sec is enough to position yourself with good wind.

Tag timer is not okay, it is to long. And as the pray you should not have time to position your self. You either spotted the enemy ship in time or you did not..

The way the tag works now there is no way to intercept successfully from another direction than what the target is traveling because the tag timer is to long. So you will always overshot and have to turn around and chase. This is just bad game play.  

Scenario: Super fast enemy Suprise sailing towards 90 degrees at full speed. I'm coming from the opposite direction and I'm headed straight for the enemy Surprise at full speed. When I'm able to tag the enemy ship the tag timer will be to long for me to successfully engage in combat. So this type of interception will not work. How short the tag timer needs to be for this to work I'm not sure but that time window is very short. IMO those type of interception tags should work!

So I want to propose a new tag feature: "The apex tag". Very simple if you  manage to get very close to your target in OW while you have an active tag on your target, the battle instant starts! It just skips the count down. Like a arrow hitting it's target, your in battle. 

• Like 1

Still the example you give is at best a "out of the sun" situation. Opponent is either blind or afk or maybe actually means to fight.

But cool beans. Worth a test.

Apex tag + what you see is what you get RoE.

Success !

3 hours ago, Tiedemann said:

I dont understand it either.

Think about it from a neutral position not beeing used to tag timers that have always been there. When i have OW and battle instances and the question is when the instance should open, why should i do timers at all? A real battle would start at a certain distance when atleast one ship is willing to fight. So why not just do it like this.

39 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

But cool beans. Worth a test.

You should really be able to explain why timers are there. Or do you want to tell this mechanic is in the game for years now without any reasoning? So why is it better than a distance based system, or possible further alternatives? Youre refusing realism/the most plausible solution, so there should be a good gameplay or coding related reason. 

Then similar ideas got proposed already. I also proposed to base the whole RoE on distance some time a go already. Got ignored ofcourse.

31 minutes ago, rediii said:

What you get with a smaller tag time is that defencetags are stupdly easy and gankers which dont have to fear anything right now will laugh even more in future.

Dont be so short minded. Reduce the spawn distance, and defensive tags are no problem anymore, no matter how the tag mechanic looks like.