Game-Labs Forum

The protractor

Please give consideration to having the protractor display the distance, in k, between the center of the protractor and wherever the mouse is when drawing out the line, keeping a value displayed when the line is finally drawn.  It will help in understanding whether ports A or B are further away from where you  are, how much further, and the final value after the course is set can be used to estimate how long it will take to get there.  The later point would facilitate course changes in OW sailing.

Thanks for listening.

• Like 3

If they did this then they may as well bring back GPS position. Your position can be fixed too accurately using distances. If they want to simulate some form of navigation they have to leave in some form of uncertainty regarding vessel position when out of sight of known landmasses.  

Yes do this. You could measure distances at a map so we should be able to do that too. And giving a position like "i am now 15 seamiles south from kpr" is not *that* exactly that it could break any game mechanics, it's a very good proposal!

5 hours ago, Archaos said:

If they did this then they may as well bring back GPS position. Your position can be fixed too accurately using distances. If they want to simulate some form of navigation they have to leave in some form of uncertainty regarding vessel position when out of sight of known landmasses.  

I mean, it makes me laugh when people don't want "GPS" because...of what? it's not historical? it's not supposed to be accurate? yet, the trader tool gives you commodity prices live and the exact distance to every single port?

So, you are saying a little GPS is ok, but not too much though!

Anyway, since the trade tool gives us the distances it would not be unrealistic or game breaking to replace the heading on the protractor with distance, and it doesn't have to be accurate, instead or single increments, make it like 5-10-15-20 km, which gives you a 5 km margin, or make it a 10 km margin like 10-20-30 km, to add even more inaccuracy,

But for God's sake, stop with the GPS BS!

EDIT: Oh, one more thing, if this is a game breaker on the PvP server, the majority of PvE server players would like some sort of improved location finding.

Edited by AngryPanCake
  • Like 2

Just now, AngryPanCake said:

I mean, it makes me laugh when people don't want "GPS" because...of what? it's not historical? it's not supposed to be accurate? yet, the trader tool gives you commodity prices live and the exact distance to every single port?

So, you are saying a little GPS is ok, but not too much though!

Anyway, since the trade tool gives us the distances it would not be unrealistic or game breaking to replace the heading on the protractor with distance, and it doesn't have to be accurate, instead or single increments, make it like 5-10-15-20 km, which gives you a 5 km margin, or make it a 10 km margin like 10-20-30 km, to add even more inaccuracy,

But for God's sake, stop with the GPS BS!

I do not mind which way they do it. But it is obvious that they wished there to be some uncertainty regarding your position hence the reason they removed the GPS position. So until they change their minds on that there is no point asking for a system that will give you your position to the same accuracy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Archaos said:

I do not mind which way they do it. But it is obvious that they wished there to be some uncertainty regarding your position hence the reason they removed the GPS position. So until they change their minds on that there is no point asking for a system that will give you your position to the same accuracy.

if you put your mind to it, there are dozens of ways to give you a location without the same accuracy.

2 minutes ago, AngryPanCake said:

if you put your mind to it, there are dozens of ways to give you a location without the same accuracy.

Admin has already directed people to third party sites if they really want to know their position. So I guess they dont want to have it in the game to satisfy the people who want to do some dead reckoning navigation and for those that want more accurate positioning they let you use third party sites.

I personally find that the current in game tools are enough for me to estimate my position so I dont mind either way.

2 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Admin has already directed people to third party sites if they really want to know their position. So I guess they dont want to have it in the game to satisfy the people who want to do some dead reckoning navigation and for those that want more accurate positioning they let you use third party sites.

I personally find that the current in game tools are enough for me to estimate my position so I dont mind either way.

what sites?

I run an outside map program, like the ADMIN suggested, and I use the protractor.  But I can easily find my way around just using the protractor.   I set the protractor at landmarks then set a course to the next large or easy landmark, then adjust course and set a new mark and go from there.   I have been using that to get to my shipwrecks and coming within sight of them every time now.  

39 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I set the protractor at landmarks then set a course to the next large or easy landmark, then adjust course and set a new mark and go from there.   I have been using that to get to my shipwrecks and coming within sight of them every time now.  

This is the safest way to navigate at the moment without using a third party map.

I would like to see the devs implement the ability to take a noon position; similar to that in the TDA map. For those unfamiliar with the TDA map, taking a noon position lets you know approximately where your location is on the map, not a pinpoint, gps location.