Game-Labs Forum

Love letter to the devs

I would like to thank the dev team for their effort. I enjoy the game very much with almost all the changes. Things like 1 dura ships and less/more expensive lineships are reasons im still playing. I've never had this much fun in the game. So despite all the whiners i love it. Thank you for your hard work. I'm not a fanboy and i realise this patch took quite a while for deployment but credit where credit is due. I really hope to see some way to get ship paints again and some fix for the crippled pirate nation ( raid mechanic ) soon. I advise you to not make the game any more grindy tho, since its a killer for casuals - i think it is in a pretty sweet spot right now. What is really just BAD is the communication from the devs to the community about their plans. One of the devs was active in global chat earlier and i asked him what happened with rattlesnake blueprint/crafting but i was just ignored even tho he responded to someone else just before and nobody else was chatting... I have to say this very clear.. if you want respect from the community or anyone really, you have to respect them, too. Even if the answer is just honest and simple like " I don't know...".

I'm not apple-polishing here. I just see all this whining and had to get some positive feedback out there. Good day and fair winds, gentlemen.

Edited by Captain Lust
  • Like 10

Im feeling love too!  Much love to the devs!  Keep up the good work!

Edit: I am revising my post after getting some more time in and seeing some of the directions the devs seem to be set on going.  I am hopeful they will figure things out but also alot more nervous about that than I was when I made my original post.

Edited by Stardog765

If it was global chat most likely he was a Moderator and not one of the Staff/Devs.  They don't know every thing, they are players just like the rest of us for the most part.  If you want answers it's best to get them on here.  Though I have to keep reminding some one about the Ship Knowledge Tree, but I'm not getting pissy about it. I'll just keep reminding folks would like this data.  Over all I'm happy with the patch other than the fact I think part of the problem a lot of folks are having was caused by lack of start up money or cannons and the grind right now.

• Like 3

For a player to lose a ship with guns, other play will win a ship with guns. There's a symbiotic element now that we didn't have before.

Again ( as I did in testbed ) starting completely from 0. It is a bit of a struggle but can be managed. Keeping a stash to cover full loss is a must IMO.

Overall a great patch to test. Thanks the devs the opportunity for testing some of the mechanics that were being suggested since first iteration of OW including 1 durability and map plotting.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

If it was global chat most likely he was a Moderator and not one of the Staff/Devs.  They don't know every thing, they are players just like the rest of us for the most part.  If you want answers it's best to get them on here.  Though I have to keep reminding some one about the Ship Knowledge Tree, but I'm not getting pissy about it. I'll just keep reminding folks would like this data.  Over all I'm happy with the patch other than the fact I think part of the problem a lot of folks are having was caused by lack of start up money or cannons and the grind right now.

Nope, im fairly positive he was a dev. The one with the name from an japanese ninja movie actor. He asked whether he should increase AI ships in certain regions. Doubt a mod can do this...

I tried on forums, too. No answer whatsoever from a dev.

Edited by Captain Lust
  • Like 2

Just now, Captain Lust said:

Nope, im fairly positive he was a dev. The one with the name from an japanese ninja movie actor. He asked whether he should increase AI ships in certain regions. Doubt a mod can do this...

Yah I think I know who, we think it was Admin by the questions, but you never know. The only Dev's or mods I know for sure use the same names here and there.

35 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Yah I think I know who, we think it was Admin by the questions, but you never know. The only Dev's or mods I know for sure use the same names here and there.

He said things like "We plan to put more AI fleets at x and y..." and "Where should i put more AI [...] ?" So 99% a dev... Why would one of the mods ( that don't even get paid by GL ) talk like he is part of the process of changing game mechanics?

Yeah, my Love Letter to the Dev’s…

Admin you are a Genius with a bad habit, oh I never listen unlike you…

[Captain Lust]

Am sure you mean Kenji Motomiya. Pops up around Carlisle. His ship just appears middle of the Bay and the name is kjhjhgfgfdxs like this then re-verts to the above mentioned. A programmer but testing all the same.

The one word of advice to confused players about direction of the game. Only Read the OP on [Developer news and announcements] by [Admin] or [Ink]. Make sure when opening the Dev News thread that its sorted in Start Date order. Its default is Recently Updated. Here the author will explain the ideas and rollouts for near future deployments. 

Apply the same rules as above to the next thread called [Patch notes]. The patch notes and Hot Fixes is what was deployed into the game via STEAM. Past tense and actual.

Next never read the follow up comments by players or Moderators. From time to time you need to re-read the OP on the [Developer news and announcements]. Admin I think is a Genius (polishes apple) and like all Geniuses they come with bad habits. His is Editing his OP which can become out of sync if a previous post was popular. Recent case was the Global Chat Ban. 

Most players never read fully the OP before continuing on down the thread to posted comments by friends or rivals. They simple don’t take in the information. Now I’m going to show you something amazing that shows the Dev’s if poor communicators then we the players are poor listeners…

Go grab a good glass of French red…

Task to complete. I bet less than 50% of you that start the task won’t complete it. YOU will fail.

On the Forum page go to Developer news and announcements thread. On the right of the page where it says [SORT BY] click Start Date. Now go to the post-dated January 19 by Admin “Content plans for first half of 2017”.  

Now only read the Opening Point made by Admin, nothing else. Then read in order all the posts up to May 6 by Ink “PvP One EU server issue”. Same thing only read the OP. Now you may need to re-read some of the post because they are detailed and complex in operation.  

I believe if you are one of the few to complete the exercise you might not be so harsh. The replies dilute OP and confuse other readers that snowballs… “Chinese Whispers”.

This hard lesson was learned for me reading Dev threads at EvE Online. Bad Communicators… Main language not English, false dates and mis-led players…. Any of this sound familiar?

Moderators like [The Red Duke] are badly needed. But remember when asking them questions don’t open end yourself. Explaining a situation and making an ill-informed view that turns into a loaded question will never yield you the right results you wanted…

I think Admin, Ink and the rest of the small team put large Dev Houses to shame. The rollout is working and tweaks and things will be changed. But you are getting there. Stick at it and never change your Bad habits….

Norfolk nChance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Yeah, my Love Letter to the Dev’s…

Admin you are a Genius with a bad habit, oh I never listen unlike you…

[Captain Lust]

Am sure you mean Kenji Motomiya. Pops up around Carlisle. His ship just appears middle of the Bay and the name is kjhjhgfgfdxs like this then re-verts to the above mentioned. A programmer but testing all the same.

The one word of advice to confused players about direction of the game. Only Read the OP on [Developer news and announcements] by [Admin] or [Ink]. Make sure when opening the Dev News thread that its sorted in Start Date order. Its default is Recently Updated. Here the author will explain the ideas and rollouts for near future deployments. 

Apply the same rules as above to the next thread called [Patch notes]. The patch notes and Hot Fixes is what was deployed into the game via STEAM. Past tense and actual.

Next never read the follow up comments by players or Moderators. From time to time you need to re-read the OP on the [Developer news and announcements]. Admin I think is a Genius (polishes apple) and like all Geniuses they come with bad habits. His is Editing his OP which can become out of sync if a previous post was popular. Recent case was the Global Chat Ban. 

Most players never read fully the OP before continuing on down the thread to posted comments by friends or rivals. They simple don’t take in the information. Now I’m going to show you something amazing that shows the Dev’s if poor communicators then we the players are poor listeners…

Go grab a good glass of French red…

Task to complete. I bet less than 50% of you that start the task won’t complete it. YOU will fail.

On the Forum page go to Developer news and announcements thread. On the right of the page where it says [SORT BY] click Start Date. Now go to the post-dated January 19 by Admin “Content plans for first half of 2017”.  

Now only read the Opening Point made by Admin, nothing else. Then read in order all the posts up to May 6 by Ink “PvP One EU server issue”. Same thing only read the OP. Now you may need to re-read some of the post because they are detailed and complex in operation.  

I believe if you are one of the few to complete the exercise you might not be so harsh. The replies dilute OP and confuse other readers that snowballs… “Chinese Whispers”.

This hard lesson was learned for me reading Dev threads at EvE Online. Bad Communicators… Main language not English, false dates and mis-led players…. Any of this sound familiar?

Moderators like [The Red Duke] are badly needed. But remember when asking them questions don’t open end yourself. Explaining a situation and making an ill-informed view that turns into a loaded question will never yield you the right results you wanted…

I think Admin, Ink and the rest of the small team put large Dev Houses to shame. The rollout is working and tweaks and things will be changed. But you are getting there. Stick at it and never change your Bad habits….

Norfolk nChance.

Not sure what you are trying say. And his name was Sho Kosugi not Kenji Motomiya.

7 hours ago, Captain Lust said:

Not sure what you are trying say. And his name was Sho Kosugi not Kenji Motomiya.

Have also seen Kosugi, there maybe a pattern.

OK this is what I'm saying... I don't think like you the Dev's are actual BAD communicators... And maybe I'm one of the few who think this. Fanboy or not I myself for one believe its more a case of the community unable to "Listen".... 

Did you actually finish the Task asked? Remember I believe most won't even be able to do it. This proving Bad Communication in my opinion the Wrong Assumption.  

14 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

OK this is what I'm saying... I don't think like you the Dev's are actual BAD communicators... And maybe I'm one of the few who think this. Fanboy or not I myself for one believe its more a case of the community unable to "Listen".... 

Did you actually finish the Task asked? Remember I believe most won't even be able to do it. This proving Bad Communication in my opinion the Wrong Assumption.  

If i ask a question politely and get no answer ( as in straight ignored ) its safe to say there isnt even communication at all.

• Like 1