Game-Labs Forum

setting a date for flags in the age of sails

there seems to be some issues with the flags on ships <<< (click)

normaly speaking the age of sails is;

The Age of Sail (usually dated as 1571–1862) according to wiki

lets put the date for the flags right in the middle to get that problem sorted out.  year 1717 , or a other datelike 1777

Edited by Thonys

Why though? 

Why is it a "problem" to sort out?

Why constrict the devs, or us, to a specific year? Why not let devs, and us, pick and choose what we like and what fits their/our vision from the entire age of sail period?

The 1717 date doesn't fit very well with the ship selection in the game. Afaik almost all ships we have were built later. The Ingermanland I believe is one of the oldest ships we have in game and was launched in 1715. 

Lots of people roleplay in this game. It was suggested to have a standard for the dates used. To take today's date minus 200 years. For obvious reasons this doesn't work for all of us. In 1817 there was no Danmark-Norge. Norway was part of Sweden. France had just lost the Napoleonic Wars.

I know that a lot of brits use 1817 as their role-play date, but there was a US Nation newspaper last year that used 1806 as its date (current date minus 210 years), and Danes typically use a system of current date minus 220 years.

In 1717, Sweden didn't have a colony in the Caribbean yet, and Danmark hadn't yet purchased St. Croix (Christiansted and Fredricksted).

• Like 1

Seems very arbitrary;

Given the many changes during that time, and the interesting various flags, i would be for letting players choose their own flags and switch it at will from an in-game database to suit their RP, historical and personalisation needs.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

Seems very arbitrary;

Given the many changes during that time, and the interesting various flags, i would be for letting players choose their own flags and switch it at will from an in-game database to suit their RP, historical and personalisation needs.

Agreed agreed agreed.

1 hour ago, Thonys said:

there seems to be some issues with the flags on ships 

normaly speaking the age of sails is;

The Age of Sail (usually dated as 1571–1862) according to wiki

lets put the date for the flags right in the middle to get that problem sorted out.  year 1717

Maybe you can go to USA players with this great idea. I would like to know their "feedback" when they realize that in 1717 USA didn't exist.

44 minutes ago, Siegfried said:

Maybe you can go to USA players with this great idea. I would like to know their "feedback" when they realize that in 1717 USA didn't exist.

There is nothing wrong with being a loyal subject of the crown. Better to drink tea than to throw it away...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anolytic said:

Why though? 

Why is it a "problem" to sort out?

Why constrict the devs, or us, to a specific year? Why not let devs, and us, pick and choose what we like and what fits their/our vision from the entire age of sail period?

The 1717 date doesn't fit very well with the ship selection in the game. Afaik almost all ships we have were built later. The Ingermanland I believe is one of the oldest ships we have in game and was launched in 1715. 

Lots of people roleplay in this game. It was suggested to have a standard for the dates used. To take today's date minus 200 years. For obvious reasons this doesn't work for all of us. In 1817 there was no Danmark-Norge. Norway was part of Sweden. France had just lost the Napoleonic Wars.

I know that a lot of brits use 1817 as their role-play date, but there was a US Nation newspaper last year that used 1806 as its date (current date minus 210 years), and Danes typically use a system of current date minus 220 years.

In 1717, Sweden didn't have a colony in the Caribbean yet, and Danmark hadn't yet purchased St. Croix (Christiansted and Fredricksted).

While I disagree with 1717 and my previous statement in another post about 1813, We need to have some sort of historical accuracy with politics. I think we base POLITICS around the Napoleonic era

58 minutes ago, Aventador said:

While I disagree with 1717 and my previous statement in another post about 1813, We need to have some sort of historical accuracy with politics. I think we base POLITICS around the Napoleonic era

well its  just a suggestion it can be any date

but i like the idea of more flags for the dutch the states flag and the prince flag

Edited by Thonys

Just now, Aventador said:

Why do we need to have historical accuracy with politics? The politics are player made, aren't they? 

8 hours ago, Sir Joseph Blaine said:

Well 1862 is for obvious reasons.  First ironclad battle in the US civil war.  Not sure I'd consider that the end however.  

1777 seems to be the earlyst date for the first union flag220px-Star-Spangled_Banner_flag.svg.png

left upper corner is 1777

1280px-US_historical_flags-United_States_of_America.jpg

USS Constellation

Scene depicting the action of 9 February 1799, when the USS Constellation (left), commanded by Captain Thomas Truxtun, captured the French frigate L'Insurgente (right).

see also :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States#First_flag

for me as a European i would say the 1777 flag is the closest identity for the (real) Americans flag  (but thats just my opinion)first official salut is from 1776 at sint Eustatius

Edited by Thonys