Game-Labs Forum

Are these type of players hurting the Tame

I think these type of players are hurting the game, it seems like the devs have been listening to them more and more. Thoughts?

From another discussion from another forum

You will  also notice that most people don't like to "do things", and would rather manage them abstractly. This is ultimately why crappy mobile strategy and puzzle games are so damn popular; even outstripping shooters in the US by a wide margin. The term "casual gamer" is actually not accurate enough anymore to describe what the larger market is like...... they're more like "low effort", if not outright "passive" consumers of content. They want the illusion of accomplishment, but not the effort associated with it. And unfortunately for those with old school sensibilities, much of that content comes in the form of affirmation, accolade, and vicarious experiences. The players are really doing anything.... something else is doing it for them, and the player takes the credit for it.

Sorry for bad cut and paste, on my phone.

the quote itself is nothing more than a classical rant that can probably be found on most games forums,

oftentimes appealing to "most people", to the "larger market", by doing something "popular" does not hurt a game. Quiete the opposite ( as long as it is done well and does not try to appeal to absolutely everyone, just to the majority )

Except, of course, if you prefer to appeal to less people, to a particular market ( less competiton )

As to NA itself...i am not sufficiently aware of what NA target market is nor its shifts, so i have no thouhts on that. But the player numbers are low for now, therefore change is needed, going among others the way of player feedback. Whichever way that feedback goes. Some players will always think that changes go the wrong way, but only the player numbers can answer that.

The game will not get hurt by hitting its target market, wether that target is casual or hardcore. It will only get hurt if it fails to hit its target.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

My problem is that my impressions are based on the current low population. So I react negatively to some DEV proposals based on the current situation. If after release we have thousands of players online the dynamics may  be completely different. What is a bad idea given a player base of 200 may work great with much larger number. Time will tell. In the meantime the challenge will be staying positive and maintaining enthusiasm despite dwindling numbers and repetitive grinds. So in answer to the original post, its not the type of players its the number that is the problem.

Edited by SeamanStaines

12 hours ago, rownd said:

What is "casual gamer"?  Why do "puzzle games" have anything to do with NA, and why are "shooters" mentioned in the same sentence?  What do those even have to do with each other?  What are "old school sensibilities"? 

Hard to believe you missed the point completely 

What do you mean by "it seems like the devs have been listening to them more and more." ? If anything, virtually all of the latest changes are aimed at doing the opposite.

Got a brother-in-law who uses a Mac laptop for work and comes over every now and then for a gaming session, and if something really exciting doesn't happen every 5 minutes he gets bored. Nice guy, but really. it boggles my mind, and sadly explains why many games out there are the way they are.

As far as I can tell, the only accomplishment that accrues in Naval Action without the need for the player to do anything is Labour Hours. And Labour Hours are worth diddely-squat if you do not go out of your way to collect materials to convert them into something in order to get a reward-cum-endorphine-shot.

So, no, NA may have its problems, but this is not really one of them as far as I can see.

The other low-involvement set of mechanic are those which allow you to teleport your presence and your ships, effectively casting "Be where all the action is" once per day. Sounds like that will be remedied with Le Patch (tm). I will reserve my opinion on whether this is a good idea until after the patch hits. My bet is on "cool with 1k players online, sucks with 100".