Game-Labs Forum

Empty PVP events.

After spending hours sailing around empty PVP events looking for any players I'd like to make a suggestion.

Please give a few points for time spent in the PVP event area, this would make going to the PVP event worthwhile even if you can't find any other players.  To avoid someone exploiting the mechanic, require the the ships to remain near the center of the PVP event to get the points.  

Edited by Salty Dog PVP1
  • Like 6

With the admiralty store it could be one way to gain credits for it.  The longer you stay in the circle you tick up a small amount of points.  Yah folks can still farm it, but make it so small that it will take a lot of farming to do so and while they sit there AFK they are subject to being attacked.

Though I kinda like it not having anything.  On PvP2 the US/Brits/Dutch have an allaicne going on and if no one shows they can't fight.  The only ones they could fight that has numbers is us pirates.  We only show when they will have fair fights with us other wise it will turn into nothing but gank fest and prob why others don't show on PvP1 cause I hear that is all you get either no one shows or it's a gank fest.

In my experience one need a group of at least 4-5 players to adventure in PvP zone (near La Navasse). Otherwise, risk of being ganged is just too high. Therefore, individual players/small groups just do not bother. The alliance system aggravates the problem imo. If Swedes and Danes, for example assemble in numbers and no Brits/Dutch show up, they will just look at each other or hope for the Pirates to provide some action.

If technically possible, alliances OW rules of engagement should not apply in PvP event circle, so every nation can attack each other.

39 minutes ago, akd said:

Design of event encourages ganking and is not integrated in any meaningful way with open world / RvR, so I personally lost interest.

This pretty much nails how I feel about the PvP events. I do see what the devs were trying to do. Fast easy PvP in a known hot spot with nice rewards. What's not to like about that??

IMO one of the main problems is it only takes one team in the zone to make all the solo captains realize they have a giant 'Gank Me!' painted on their sails. You can't force players to form into teams, if they wanted to they would've already. Solution... rookie zone RoE with 1v1 only.

The request to allow green on green attacking... well YMMV but for me that's throwing all immersion and atmosphere right out the window and reduces NA to a lobby-less 'World of Sail' MOBA. Yuck.

I would suggest at the very least some form of points being given for damage dealt in addition to kills and assists. I've played several times where we only found one or two others and if it's a 1 v 1 fight or something similar there is no top ten - it's a top one or two. In such cases, those participating should receive a handful of points by default to make going to the event worthwhile; not enough so that you might overtake someone with some kills, but enough so that if there are less than ten participants, you get some kind of credit.

The PvP admiralty event is terribly designed.  We need something better.  We need the admiralty event to work more like a port battle.  You sail there, join an instance and wait for more of your nation/allies to join along with enemies and when a minimum BR ratio is met, your battle starts.  

Once it starts a new instance is formed for any more players showing up.

Edited by Yar Matey

I've never thought that the Admiralty events were intended as a permanent fixture.

Pretty sure this was a trial run of features to be utilized with port blockades and raids. In the short term it also gave ppl a place to look for a target rich PvP environment. The only major issue overlooked was the guaranteed gankfest it encouraged. With 20/20 hindsight I think they should've used the rookie zone 1v1 RoE.

Anyone who wanted fleet battles could've just used the zone as a pseudo-lobby to meet & arrange such battles beyond the perimeter.

What I don't understand is why people complain about not having fair fights but were against the 1.5 BR mechanic we used to have? For some reason ganking was completely "ok" on the ow but in an event area they are against it? I'm just curious as to why the inconsistency in this? All I'd suggest is that we should have one universal ROE regardless if it's an event or open world. People need to decide if they want ROE mechanics that help ensure more competitive pvp or they want the free for all....that's it. Devs made the mistake long ago of trying to make everyone happy when it comes to the ROE because in the end not everyone will ever be satisfied. I don't like the ganks that take place in them anymore than I like the ganks that take place outside of them. I just believe we are not seeing as many outside of the event right now because we don't have as many people playing. 

I don't believe the current event mechanics are in NA's long term plans....I think this is simply a temporary test. Afterall, we are testing. If you don't like them don't go. I don't like shallow water events so I don't go to them. To me they are just something to do till a more refined system is in place and I'm glad they did them. Are they perfect? Oh lord no....but they are better than nothing and I'm sure they are gathering some decent stats from them. 

I don't look at the events as my chance for some paint or a blueprint, that stuff is just the cherry on top, I go because it increases the opportunity to have a damn fight. People are too concerned with getting a blueprint that might become rather pointless in the very near future when they revamp the crafting system anyways. And anyone in hear crying about gankfests better remember what they are crying about next time they have someone outnumbered 5v1 somewhere because we have plenty of hypocrites. 

• Like 4

1st ever post after a year of long time lurking.

Just started doing the pvp event, and wanted to thank Blackjack Morgan!

Spent a year levelling up and crafting and making money, finally decided to see what all the fuss was about in the PVP event.

Refreshingly I actually enjoyed it, he was a great opponent, I learnt more about sailing/fighting/tactics from watching him fight off myself and 3 other brit capns.

cracking little zones where u know folks are always up for a fight, if anything I'm now playing the game longer each day...just one more pvp event...

my beef is with the pve daily events....same top ten players everyday collecting their winnings..

Right, off back to lurking o7

Scotty