Game-Labs Forum

Concerned with UG's Promise/Game Probs

Slaithium

Lets be clear, I am not being mean or rude, what I am doing is taking Games Labs at their word.

The early access of the game in its description promised the game will be completed in a couple months. Couple by definition meaning two or pair. The access was released on November 16, 2016. By December, 22 2016 we only had one additional part of the campaign released in the form of Fredricksberg. We are now on our way into January and the two months will be here. I suspect at the given rate it will not be achieved. 

What should we expect from Game Labs for the completion of the game? And is there going to be a new time given so we can wait with less expectation on the original promise?

Now if there was information posted on this, I am not aware of it. I understand the limitations of people and the difficulties of creating a game. But Game Labs is somewhat of a silent company and does not fill its player-base in on progression or state of affairs when it comes to this sort of thing. I would just like to know more information and status of the things.

Game Play Related things:

The move controls are still stiff, it feels like place holder coding (not saying it definitely is) when you move units. For example, when you order you units to face a certain direction, the "green box with arrow" will start facing the wrong way and have to turn it all the way around. Allows the left click command tends to jump time to time when used.

Lastly a hot key for sprint, considered a important ability along with charge, needs a hotkey option. If there is one I have no found it or not aware of it.

• Like 2

If I remember right the time frame for early access was 2-4 months - if there's any problems with hitting the target I'm sure we'll hear about it closer to the time :)    Fredericksburg was only released a couple of weeks ago and the beta testing of the next battle is well underway so I don't think it'll be too far off.

I think the default key to toggle sprint is 'R' but all hotkeys can be changed in the options menu, just scroll down and you'll see them all under controls.

I dunno man,

Respectfully I think that buying an early access game and expecting it to actually meet its timetable is a poor business decision.  Pretty much none of them do.  I definitely understand the frustration and the anticipation of finished content, but it's pretty clear judging from the wider market that delays and setbacks are actually the industry norm, not the outlier (even in patching/updating already "completed" products.  I'd focus more on the content they are providing (even if it's a bit delayed).  Again, completely respectfully disagreeing, but I just think that while it would be nice to take an early access product on its word as far as timetable, I also would not buy one and count on it. 

In response to your facing issue, I don't have an issue with the facing command at all (and that would drive me NUTS), so you definitely should report that as a bug imho. 

I don't use hotkeys nearly as much as I could/should so I'm no help on the sprint thing (though if a key doesn't exists, it probably could stand to... at least so that those who would use it, could).

Cheers,

Dave

6 minutes ago, RoverGrover said:

I dunno man,

Respectfully I think that buying an early access game and expecting it to actually meet its timetable is a poor business decision.  Pretty much none of them do.  I definitely understand the frustration and the anticipation of finished content, but it's pretty clear judging from the wider market that delays and setbacks are actually the industry norm, not the outlier (even in patching/updating already "completed" products.  I'd focus more on the content they are providing (even if it's a bit delayed).  Again, completely respectfully disagreeing, but I just think that while it would be nice to take an early access product on its word as far as timetable, I also would not buy one and count on it. 

In response to your facing issue, I don't have an issue with the facing command at all (and that would drive me NUTS), so you definitely should report that as a bug imho. 

I don't use hotkeys nearly as much as I could/should so I'm no help on the sprint thing (though if a key doesn't exists, it probably could stand to... at least so that those who would use it, could).

Cheers,

Dave

Who the hell buys a game on the basis of a business decision?? - The best business decision would allways be NOT to waste time and money on frivolous expenses..

That being said - never buy EA unless you're ready to be dissappointed..

20 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

Who the hell buys a game on the basis of a business decision?? - The best business decision would allways be NOT to waste time and money on frivolous expenses..

That being said - never buy EA unless you're ready to be dissappointed..

I would respectfully counter that in my usage any purchase is a business decision, regardless of whether you consider it "frivolous" or not.  Perhaps your meaning behind the phrase is different than mine.  I apologize for the misunderstanding, but feel that the overall message in my original post remains intact.

Cheers,

Dave

Edit:  Agree about EA though.  They have been, on the whole, extremely disappointing.

Edited by RoverGrover

22 minutes ago, RoverGrover said:

I would respectfully counter that in my usage any purchase is a business decision, regardless of whether you consider it "frivolous" or not.  Perhaps your meaning behind the phrase is different than mine.  I apologize for the misunderstanding, but feel that the overall message in my original post remains intact.

Cheers,

Dave

Edit:  Agree about EA though.  They have been, on the whole, extremely disappointing.

Srry mate - I'm just pulling your leg good sir! :) No offence intended..

No worries bearwall.   

And yeah, kind of agree with hill.   I think part of the problem, for me personally,  is that I've been burned so often recently in the strategy department as far as games being "finished" and released when they weren't even close... and by multiple developers too.   I think at this point,  delays sound almost great, if they follow through on the product.. at least by comparison.

2 hours ago, A. P. Hill said:

Frankly, the way I see it.  Let them take their time and get it right as it goes out the door.   Piss on this "give it to me now mentality".

Take your time devs, I want perfection not some hurried p.o.s. that never works properly.

Agreed. Of course I'd like them to tell us more about their timeline, but so far I think what I have is quite worth the money I paid. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A. P. Hill said:

Frankly, the way I see it.  Let them take their time and get it right as it goes out the door.   Piss on this "give it to me now mentality".

Take your time devs, I want perfection not some hurried p.o.s. that never works properly.

I completely agree with your point. 

This game is totally playable. I've gotten my money's worth compared to many games I bought and shelved. But it'll be a whole lot prettier when they're done polishing it up. 

But I think the OP is correct that Game Labs needs to be a bit more proactive in feedback. 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, RoverGrover said:

No worries bearwall.   

And yeah, kind of agree with hill.   I think part of the problem, for me personally,  is that I've been burned so often recently in the strategy department as far as games being "finished" and released when they weren't even close... and by multiple developers too.   I think at this point,  delays sound almost great, if they follow through on the product.. at least by comparison.

Your'e talking about Hearts of Iron 4 is my guess. In which case I agree. The worst piece of software I have ever purchased. An abortion of a game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Speedkermit said:

Your'e talking about Hearts of Iron 4 is my guess. In which case I agree. The worst piece of software I have ever purchased. An abortion of a game.

You sir, are psychic haha.   But yeah, already releasing dlc too.   Absolutely depressing to even contemplate

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RoverGrover said:

You sir, are psychic haha.   But yeah, already releasing dlc too.   Absolutely depressing to even contemplate

My steam review for Ultimate General Civil War

Get this game!

Get it now!

Early access and already loads of content.
Loads more content on the way.
Brilliant tactical wargame, with a challenging AI opponents and dozens of battles already included. Change the course of history and give the arrogant yankees a spanking, or play as the Union and put Johnny Reb back in his place.

If you like "total war" but feel that the TW series has become too "dumbed down" then try this game out.

My steam review for Hearts of Iron 4

The AI for this game is dead on arrival, be warned!

Also don't expect to be fighting the second world war, as all plausibility goes out of the window when you see Australia invade Germany in 1940 with 60 divisions, or the axis powers pour millions of men into the Sahara desert and the jungles of the Congo. Watch in horror as The Mexican army rampages through Japan, and the Greeks capture a completely undefended Berlin.

There are some good ideas in there, but it's all ruined by the utterly appalling AI.
Do not pay forty pounds to be an alpha-tester for Paradox.
Do not touch this abortion with a barge pole.

This isn't a game, it's a scam. Literally the worst piece of software I have ever seen.

Do not buy!
Do not buy!
Do not buy!

7 hours ago, Speedkermit said:

Don't be ridiculous. 

It's a Paradox game. HOI 3 was totally unplayable until the second or third DLC pack and then it got very, very good by the end. That's how Paradox works, and they have an excellent reputation for finishing what they begin. 

• Like 1

Exactly my thoughts speedkermit.

Disagree completely Andre.  I'll admit, I did not play HOI3 at its release, and therefore have no reference for that part of your statement.  Nevertheless, HOI4 simply is not playable in any meaningful way.  It isn't "This aspect is bad" or "This aspect didn't work correctly" the entire thing is a joke.  Armies abandoning fronts en masse?  Ridiculous power levels for minors?  A mode that allegedly sticks closer to a historical format that does nothing of the sort.  Shifting units across entire fronts for no reason.  Impossibly bizzare war declarations.  AI that cannot even properly equip BASIC units because it has no idea how to produce the correctly equipment (In an INCREDIBLY simplified system).

And these issues took me like 40 seconds to list.  I could come up with at least 2 paragraphs more easily.

Also, I would add that I play many Paradox games.  Stellaris, while not what I was really looking for, is perfectly playable despite several issues.  Crusader Kings 2, improved immensely with patches but was still perfectly fine at release.  EUIV; again, issues but perfectly playable. 

I respect your opinion and your right to it, and I'm actually very pleased that somebody did not feel as ripped off as I did, but I lost a lot of faith in paradox with that game.  I definitely think I'll be taking my advice from earlier in this very thread with that particular dev and not buying anymore of their games on release until I can tell whether it is a finished product or not.  I really really wish that that game was not released like it was and hopefully in time it still might become something I consider playable.  Its wasted potential is staggering to me.

Respectfully,

Dave

• Like 3

On 1/3/2017 at 9:57 PM, A. P. Hill said:Frankly, the way I see it.  Let them take their time and get it right as it goes out the door.   Piss on this "give it to me now mentality".

Well said General Hill.   I couldn't of said it better myself.   Would rather they take their time, and make this game great.  And just saying, this is the best early access game I've ever purchased, even if both my confederate and union campaigns are stalled after Fredericksburg.   

On 1/3/2017 at 8:57 PM, A. P. Hill said:

not really give me to me now mentality on my part. It is more of keep us informed mentality. As stated before, also perfection does not exist.

Edited by Slaithium

Only information I can give atm is that the next update is being tested and should be released not so far from now. (sorry can't be more accurate I'm only speaking for myself here).

As for the end of early-access yes it will take time, more than expected, and that's a classic especially for indie games. In all honesty Nick and his team are made of REAL hard workers (not like some coders who pretend they've been working their asses off while they're in fact barely typing 5 hours/day) and they'll deliver it as fast as they can.

Have you tried hard mode ? Given yourself additional challenges ? Personally I've been playing the game since september and can't get bored of it in its current state already !!

• Like 2

On 1/4/2017 at 7:11 AM, Speedkermit said:

hahaha i've never been more disappointed in a game as HOI4.  the let down was complete and total.

• Like 2

On 04/01/2017 at 6:24 PM, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Don't be ridiculous. 

It's a Paradox game. HOI 3 was totally unplayable until the second or third DLC pack and then it got very, very good by the end. That's how Paradox works, and they have an excellent reputation for finishing what they begin. 

Paradox have an excellent reputation for finishing what they begin - two or three years after release. Perhaps I shouldn't pay them for two or three years either?

• Like 1

I don't think anyone should buy into an early access game if he isn't convinced it is worth it, in its current state. Generally i don't think it is a sensible decision to buy something which only becomes worthwhile to you if they fulfill their promises in the future. Judge the product in its current state, this saves you from disappointment and you are a lot more relaxed towards the development process.

On the topic of HoI IV i too was disappointed by its release state, some things should have been discovered and fixed by their QA, like AI using templates, properly managing their air forces and the NF system going bonkers after 1941. But i make an exception for Paradox because i have confidence that they will bring their game into a decent state eventually, they will do a long term support. But it seems if you want a decent PDX game, you need to wait at least one year after its release, sadly they need the paying customers with patience to make this work. I am one of those guys but i totally get the people that say, i want a fully working, balanced title at the moment of purchase. I just dont go on their forums that often anymore, the discussions have become so tedious and repetitve.

• Like 1