Game-Labs Forum

24lber howitzers.

berwatchey

hey just thought i should take the time to share a tip. Get 24 pounder howitzers as early as possible and use them every battle. I keep my batteries between 8-12 guns depending on AI scaling. but its worth it. 

12 guns did this

shiloh 17 losses 2781 kills

seven pines 4 losses 300 kills

gains mill 77 lost 2458 kills

malvern hill 78 loat 3791 killed

I have 2 batteries in my union army and they each have numbers like this, the confederates get less of the cannons, but similar performance( keep your batteries small so the AI wont overscale yo you). spend reputation to buy them. its worth it. keep them within a brigade width of your lines and watch them get 50-100 kills per volly.

Id show you the screen shot of the units record but i cant seem to figure out how to get it to show up.

howitzers.pptx

Edited by berwatchey

hmm, its a bit strange, because damage wise, they are not that big change to 12pdr Napoleons, while Napoleons have range advantage.. Yet game wise, it kinda makes sense, as with the reduced range, these howitzers will target enemy at shorter distances therefore dealing more damage, while Napoleons would start firing at longer distances..

I always buy up all the 24pdr available throughout the campaign.

They outperform all other cannons to a point where I consider them to be the only real representation of how cannons should be in the game. Most battles 24pdrs will do 2x+ casualties compared to any other cannon, even in worse/less active position.

Edited by sukha

It's really no wonder.

When you compare a 12lb Gun to a 24lb Gun.

All the 12lb Guns have a 4.62 inch bore, whereas the 24lb Guns have a 5.82 inch bore.

That said, according to the Table of Fire for each:

12lb Howitzer uses a 1 pound charge of powder for shell, and a 3/4 pound charge for spherical case, whereas the 24lb Howitzer uses a 2 pound charge for shell and 2.5 pounds for spherical case.

At 0 degrees elevation the 12lb sends a shell 195 yards down range. The 24lb sends a shell 295 yards down range

At 1 degrees elevation the 12lb sends a shell 539 yards down range. The 24lb sends a shell 516 yards down range.

At 2 degrees elevation the 12lb sends a shell 640 yards down range. The 24lb sends a shell 793 yards down range.

At 3 degrees elevation the 12lb sends a shell 847 yards down range. The 24lb sends a shell 976 yards down range.

At 4 degrees elevation the 12lb sends a shell 975 yards down range. The 24lb sends a shell 1272 yards down range.

At 5 degrees elevation the 12lb sends a shell 1072 yards down range. The 24lb sends a shell 1322 yards down range.

At 2 degrees 15 seconds elevation the 12lb sends case 485 yards down range. The 24lb sends case 750 yards down range.

At 3 degrees 15 seconds elevation the 12lb sends case 715 yards down range. The 24lb sends case 1000 yards down range.

At 3 degrees 45 seconds elevation the 12lb sends case 1050 yards down range. The 24lb sends case 1100 yards down range.

Canister is used at closer ranges than this, of course with the difference in bore diameters, the 24lb will send more balls down range than a 12lb.

But I'm sure all you guys knew this already. ;)

• Like 1

The factor that hasn't been brought into play yet is mobility. I'm sure it'll be addressed sooner or later. 

24 pounders howitzers are killers, but they're heavy. All that extra weight of shot and shell has mass that has to be moved every time you move the guns. It's not easy. Their rate of movement needs to be cut down. But get 'em where they need to be, and they can dominate a defensive position. 

Napoleons and 3" Rifles are a bit easier to move about. But 6 Pounders are easy to muscle into the line and can keep up with infantry and cavalry depending on how they're deployed. 

I'm patient, they'll get around to a major tweak of artillery before all is said and done. 

But, if the devs are listening, put a priority on incorporating shell selection for artillery asap. Please. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to figure out where to site the batteries. Thanks. 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky

5 hours ago, Hitorishizuka said:

Anyone messed around with the 20lb Parrotts much? I brought them out for one or two battles and I haven't actually been that impressed for the most expensive cannon available.

They should excel at one thing: long range, counter-battery, siege guns. Put 'em on a hill, and pound fixed positions over time with their accuracy and reach. Most battles in this game don't have the time requirement necessary for them to do their magic. 

17 minutes ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

They should excel at one thing: long range, counter-battery, siege guns. Put 'em on a hill, and pound fixed positions over time with their accuracy and reach. Most battles in this game don't have the time requirement necessary for them to do their magic. 

They have high damage also and so you'd think stat-wise they should be within the same ballpark as the Napoleons. For whatever reason I just haven't seen mine perform to that degree.

11 hours ago, A. P. Hill said:

At 1 degrees elevation the 12lb sends a shell 539 yards down range. The 24lb sends a shell 516 yards down range.

But I'm sure all you guys knew this already. ;)

I'm not too sure what these numbers mean.  But I think it's strange that only at 1 degree the smaller gun shoots farther. What's the magic of 1 degree? Other than that you spent a lot of words to show that more powder means a bigger bang which is not too surprising.

Edited by Sequester

9 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Exactly.

The campign battles are to short for counterbattery fire; you need to help your infantry defend or attack with cannister shots.

I think in a potential multiplayer battle long-range artillery is more important. The side which can snipe others from range can sit back and let the other attack.

• Like 1

Actually, i have used counterbattery fire to some effect at River Crossing battle before Shilloh.. I've used single battery of 10pdr rifled guns for it, and specifically targeted enemy batteries on the hill. yet i also had one battery of 24pdr howitzers present to discourage any countercharges through the river, while i also had one battery of 6pdr with units making flanking move.. worked like charm, i managed to rout one battery before my flanking forces crossed the river and captured the secondary flag, then i just targeted the second one, while 6pdr and 24pdr supported the infantry attack up the hill wihtout the fear being targeted by canister fire..

7 hours ago, Sequester said:

I'm not too sure what these numbers mean.  But I think it's strange that only at 1 degree the smaller gun shoots farther. What's the magic of 1 degree? Other than that you spent a lot of words to show that more powder means a bigger bang which is not too surprising.

Thanks for at least reading. :)

In the mean time I went back to my Tables of Fire and double checked and indeed those numbers are correct.  Like yourself I found it strange as well. Maybe there's a typo on the charts I'm using, I'll have to see if I can find other tables to compare these numbers to.

For the record, these "Tables of Fire" were placed on the inside of the Limber and Caisson ammo chests covers to help the artillery man pulling rounds from them to set the fuses for shell and case shot.  Along with the yardage down range, these tables also list the time duration it takes for a round to get that distance.  The artillery man would then puncture / or cut his fuse for that duration of burn so that it would explode at the given range.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dowdpride said:

I actually have found my parrot guns keep up with my 24 pounders simply due to their fast reload and high accuracy/

10pd or 20pd Parrotts?

Just popping back in to report that my 20pd Parrotts are VERY underperforming for their price. I hope the devs maybe take a look and see if there's something going on. They're getting outperformed by 24pd Napoleons and 10pdr Tredegar of all things and only competitive/maybe even outperformed by 10pdr Ordnance and 12pd Napoleon.