Game-Labs Forum

Bahamas : Rookie area

Alanxo

As its name indicates, the Rookie Zone was created to allow new players to acclimatise to the game and the naval war in relative security, excluding, a priori, the face to face with seasoned players.

This nursery has a specific purpose, not discourage the beginners from coming to swell our ranks, whatever the chosen nation.

The security of this zone is, therefore, the interest of all Naval Action players.

From a dozen days, experienced players, mainly French  and English, but also Danish, seem to have decided to make some hunting groups in a pack.

Attacking a beginner trader or, even, an Ensign on a basic Snow, when one is a Rear-Admiral or Contre-Amiral, on a survitaminated Rattlesnake accompanied, moreover, is nothing glorious. It is, even, stupid and counterproductive, apart from translating a certain form of mediocrity.

I therefore urge the CSNF (French Council) to adopt an unambiguous official French position condemning these behaviors and encouraging Guild leaders to respect and ensure respect for this area by their members.

I invite the CSNF to contact its counterparts, the British being, a priori, open to the approach.

The rule could be to officially prohibit players from the rank of First Lieutenant (Lieutenant de Vaisseau) from engaging in any activity other than trade in this zone, most players joining national waters from Rank of Second Lieutenant (Lieutenant de Frégate).

In addition, I announce to the obstinates, the forthcoming creation of a combined Franco-British force, which aims to find, hunt and sink, in concert, the offenders.

Alanxo Old Rookie :44455:

Edited by Alanxo
  • Like 10

These poor boys, commonly well known as nabs, are too weak and unskilled to take a part in the even fight at OS. So they decide to build their confidence at rookie zones hunting newcomers or gank 5v1 in front of capitals. pathetic.

WHY? because they can? because the game does not support fair fights?

Now is very hard to find any fight, even fights are rare like gold drop.

One thing: Like any other area on the map, the Rookie zones can be captured (except for the rookie capitals). Hostility generation there is potentially easier due to the number of targets and confined space. Is the purpose here to forbid hostility raising activities (i.e PvP and yes, even ganking) in the rookie area? In that case we must first divide the regions equally between the alliances. Or devs must take them out of RvR. But Danmark has already held a port battle there in order to train and involve our non-RvR-players.

Honestly i dont see the problem when a higher lvl player attacks other player there rank is not the same like skill ... the only useful thing i can see is a mechanic to encourage fairer fights with ships that dont outperform each other so the rattle vs. cutter experiance isnt there.

Btw. another problem for the area are the nearby nations wich buy all the ressis there ...

@Anolytic I would actually suggest that the area gets expanded with every nation getting 2 or 3 uncpaturable ports. For the time being port battles are obviously allowed but I think the need for sinking ships will eventually drive even experienced and honourable players into ganking newbies jsut to generate a port battle. Therefore I would turely advise to take this region out of the action and split the ports between the nations.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Lonar said:

Honestly i dont see the problem when a higher lvl player attacks other player there rank is not the same like skill ... the only useful thing i can see is a mechanic to encourage fairer fights with ships that dont outperform each other so the rattle vs. cutter experiance isnt there.

Btw. another problem for the area are the nearby nations wich buy all the ressis there ...

Saying its OK for Rear admirals to actively search rookie targets, is like saying its OK for Messi to play in 3rd division, caus he can make more goals then. Leave the Rookie zone to the Rookie players, let them do their thing, let them not get demotivated by some salty griefers sucking the fun out of the game for other people.

The area should not be victim of any RvR stuff going on in the bigger part of the map.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Spud said:

Saying its OK for Rear admirals to actively search rookie targets, is like saying its OK for Messi to play in 3rd division, caus he can make more goals then. Leave the Rookie zone to the Rookie players, let them do their thing, let them not get demotivated by some salty griefers sucking the fun out of the game for other people.

The area should not be victim of any RvR stuff going on in the bigger part of the map.

You missunderstand i would say it is not ok if it is happening with a frigat but if the said rear admiral sails a brig or whatever i dont see the problem. Like i said i bet there are a lot rear admirals out there who dont even know how to use manual sails for example and rookies wich know a lot more ... so your comparison is wrong then messi would mean you take a top pvp guy and put him in the rookie area and thats not nessesarly the case ... and btw. the rookie learns more when he fights/trains with messi and not mr. smith from the 5th league ...

But to be honest iam a little bit biased i was thinking about playing there more active because i like smaller ships and they are more or less completly useless on the rest of the map.

Edited by Lonar
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lonar said:

You missunderstand i would say it is not ok if it is happening with a frigat but if the said rear admiral sails a brig or whatever i dont see the problem. Like i said i bet there are a lot rear admirals out there who dont even know how to use manual sails for example and rookies wich know a lot more ... so your comparison is wrong then messi would mean you take a top pvp guy and put him in the rookie area and thats not nessesarly the case ... and btw. the rookie learns more when he fights/trains with messi and not mr. smith from the 5th league ...

But to be honest iam a little bit biased i was thinking about playing there more active because i like smaller ships and they are more or less completly useless on the rest of the map.

Well in equal ships or even in smaller ships, most rear admirals will sink the rookie player non the less. Unless the Rear Admiral is a truly rubbish sailor, or the rookie has exceptional skills/luck, now you'll agree either of these are very unlikely to happen. And even then, if he can't do it by skill, he'll make sure he has a live oak gold mercury, with good upgrades and offiers perks to do the trick. 

Now obviously they'll pick up some tricks even if they lose, but it does not give the incentive for players to sail out and do PvP if they get destroyed every time, probably every time by the same player(s) too.

If you go out to the rookie region, you might be able to help out the rookies getting attacked by higher ranked players.

I was never that good in 1v1 engagements. The reason is simple. I didn't do them. I wanted that to be different in this game and I've set out to do it. My character had a lot to do at the beginning of the game and I found my self doing port battle after port battle instead of the hunting that I really hoped to do. I made rear admiral well before there was any stability in the nation that would allow me to devote more time to single ship action. But now I'm a rear admiral with first rates and Connies and Aganemnons, etc. I wanted to start off small and grow into 1v1 engagements through a natural flow.

So what I did is devote more time to my alt which I have deemed a pvp only character. I will accept any 1v1 fight no matter what difference in ship class or player reputation. I now have more wins under my belt than losses with some notable wins against ships I should not have beat.

I tell this story to encourage the noobs that are afraid of being tackled in the noobie zone. First, not all rear admirals are experienced in 1v1. Second, I started in a cutter which is a free ship. If you can get passed the loss of pride than no harm can come from a loss in a cutter. I capped a number of trader ships in it. I sunk a snow and I almost sunk a surprise. I should have had it but I switched focuses to many times. I moved up to a Niagara and took down a surprise and a Pavel in it just this week. If you operate in the noobie zone, finding the money to replace the ship if you loose it is EASY. Your first, make enough money in pvp over 5 duras to replace the ship but one run between two ports in the bahamas in a traders brig will make you over half a mil.

Being in the noob zone and a beginner player is the best time to learn to pvp and grow your confidence. Its a lot harder to motivate yourself to learn when you start in a Connie and you know you don't know what your doing.

• Like 1

Its a well written text, and its indeed a good encouragement to new players. But to say they just have to suck up the griefing caused by rear admirals just going in there for the sake of sinking rookies, is not the best way to approach it.

We should not ask from rookies to just see the bigger picture, thats not how games work. This works in real life, where you have no other possibility then to deal with the situation. Nobody likes losing all the time, thats why most games use matchmaking to match skill.

I tend to talk to new players, or they tend to talk to me sometimes, if I can I try to do some missions with them. I give them some tips, or just point out some mistakes. Most of the time the crew system confuses them, they either undercrew a ship or they think they don't have enough crew to sail a bigger ship caus they just don't know how to "heal" crew. I can assure you, i'm far from being good at this game, but most of them would just get rekt by any half descent rear admiral in similar ships.

I think they should just have tons of fun in the first weeks they play naval action, and then they might think, "how can I get realy good at this game?" And at that point they might be ready to take on some bigger oponents.

I get what you are saying, and for someone who starts this game thinking "I'm going to be the best captain to ever sail this game", that would be an excellent approach. But for someone just interested in age of sail and loves sailing ships etc. they don't need to be tossed amongst the lions until they emerge a lion themselves, cause they'll just quit before they'll ever get that good.