Game-Labs Forum

main mast damage

i noticed the other day that in 2 of the vedios a player succesfuly took out a main mast and almost demasted the intire ship from a pretty long range,and did it pretty quick,,may have a problem there..,wasent that easy to demast a ship,,the other issue was the damage ship repairs were took and was back in action way to quick,,so to me we have 2 issues,,the hit boxes for the mast makeing them too vulnerable and repairs working too fast,,even in combat repairs still took time,so all im saying is lets take a look at repair time and it might need adjustment in speed to compensate for real time,,i dont think instant repairs is a good thing,

In the game any time a mast is hit directly there is a chance for it to break. It's a very low percentage maybe around 10% if I remember correctly. It's not that common of an occurence and doesn't happen with every shot into the sails, but it's enough to make the battles dynamic.

As for repairs, yes they are much faster than in real life, but this is also a game. For the sake of gameplay the repairs have to be faster than possible in real life just to keep the match alive. Keep in mind all of this can still be tweaked based on feedback in the future patch and at the developers discretion.

• Like 1

In the game any time a mast is hit directly there is a chance for it to break. It's a very low percentage maybe around 10% if I remember correctly. It's not that common of an occurence and doesn't happen with every shot into the sails, but it's enough to make the battles dynamic.

As for repairs, yes they are much faster than in real life, but this is also a game. For the sake of gameplay the repairs have to be faster than possible in real life just to keep the match alive. Keep in mind all of this can still be tweaked based on feedback in the future patch and at the developers discretion.

roger that

Not that im an expert in age of sail warfare but from what ive been told the chance of being demasted in battle was a bit of extreme luck. Being demasted in a 2v2 frigate battle multiple times seems like a miracle and they used up repairs too. Imagine 5v5, masts will be falling everywhere. -_-

Still I guess its just a little nuisance since the repairs are instant. Seems a little silly though imo.

Again, it's based on a percentage if I remember correctly but perhaps the developers can say for certain. Sometimes you may get demasted twice in a battle which would be the extreme end of things. On the other end of the spectrum you may go 10 battles and never lose a single mast.

Even during the larger 25v25 AI/player fleet battles not that many masts were lost. Of course there were some but it wasn't like a timber company moved in and started logging masts off ships.

If you're in a Cutter and take a broadside from a Victory through your sails your chances of losing a mast is probably significantly higher.

• Like 1

As for repairs, here is my opinion. If dismasted, about the only way to repair it is to try and withdraw to a safe position and spend a few hours jury rigging a mast. Something big like that should not be able to be repaired during a fight. Small things like split lines or overturned guns could be done by an order issue clickie or some such and could be repaired

during battle.  

So wheres the fun in this, Hyperion?

The problem is if the Mast damage is an auto-win button you wil only see players going for demasts (wich in the actual build are rare enough).

Noone will let you run away if your demasted. Helped by the fact that you are pretty slow wich an improvised rigging is crippeling a lot.

The balance between gameplay and realism has to be found. And I feel that a relatively fast mast repair is okay. We only have two "repair packs" So we have to decide what were going to use them for. Having a mast shot off is a HUGE disadvantage. Will you repair it or are you saving the repair and try to keep the guns singing somehow?

This desicion may be cruzial for the outcome of a fight.

Imho everything but lower masts should be repairable in battle. We should be able to replace even topmasts, although this should be much slower than sending up a new topgallant.

Lower masts should only be replaced by jury rigs, with around half the power of a course.

Accordingly, however, losing a lower mast should be much rarer. It should always take more than one shot to take down a three-foot-thick mainmast.

• Like 1

I agree, it should be neither quick nor easy to dismast anything from a frigate up, maybe even a brig. And repairs to lower sections of mast must take a fair amount of time reducing as we talk about the higher sections of mast and the spars. However, for me when in a slower vessel being attacked by a quicker one then we need to enable varying amounts of damage to rigging generally. A frigate captain who lacks sense and caution should find the result being, on occasion, the loss of sufficient rigging to significantly slow his vessel, thereby losing his advantage. For me this has always been a legitimate and effective tactic, which we ought to be able to replicate in NA.