Game-Labs Forum

Lack of Solo/Small Group PvP?

What i think (alone apparently ) is the real cause of lack of pvp, other than falling numbers, is that a large portion of the population in pvp servers hate pvp and are terrified of ow battles where they must rely on thier skill vs someone else.  The only reason they came to the pvp servers is because they want to do port battles where they can tag along and like zebra have safty in numbers and stripes .  They do thisbecause the bland unmoving pve server is deathly boring to most.

It will NEVER EVER HAPPEN because of ........ but the best solution is to allow port battles on the pve server but no ow battles .  Set a set number of friendly ports so they can carebear trade and craft in ease and poof perfect kiddie pool !

Think about it, every single solitary complaint is about ow battles and how scary and unfair they are. For a year the devs have changed ow combat,tagging,timers,BR you name it and every fucking day its 600 more posts on how unfair it is little jonny got beat up on the playground .  They dont have problems with how combat is done they have problems with combat period .  Notice these SAME posters never have problems about port battles or being gangbanged in a port battle or BR or timers for port battles ?  Exactly because they love the security of port battles . 

This would be perfect . True open world pvp ,rvr players can play in peace and have fun and the port battle only crowds can have thier safe spaces to hide in . Even the other pve players cant be hurt because the just dont enter port battles and with xxx number of bases safe from capture they wont lose anything . 

Once servers are merged or game is released players csn choose a server that reslly is for them and the devs can stop ruining a good game trying to please the unpleasable.

2 hours ago, elite92 said:

merge is needed ASAP , all server in 1, PvE and PvP server can co-exist now with this roe. player base splitted in 3 is just idiot

I'm not sure this is a fix, it's a bandaid.  The dwindling numbers aren't due to server populations, it's the game mechanics that are at fault.  

I play solo as well, and it is difficult to find good PVP.  I usually find at least two players sailing together, usually more.  IF I find players at all.  And it's true that the only place to really look is around Freetowns.  I'm sailing the coast of Baracoa right now, with not a soul in sight.  It really is a matter of player preference, as well.  I was attacked by a US player outside La Nav, and sent out a message to my nation as a warning, right when he tagged me so they would know to be cautious.  They instead tried to get the guy to leave the battle instead.  I had to tell the guy to keep fighting (This was the first relatively even fight I'd had in a long while)

As much as I like the idea of having to risk your ship when going into battle, It does seem to prevent players from PvPing and is damaging the game. What if we take out the loss of a durability when you are sunk completely? Players might be more willing to engage in PvP fights, which has always been the main feature of the game to me.

To address the issue of having ships that will then never sink : how about making it so that ships lose durabilities after x amount of sailing time. Like how a ship would eventually have to be decommissioned and broken up in real life after several years of use. The only way you would lose your ship in game would therefore be if you have sailed it and used it for long enough to be decommissioned.

This solution is not perfect but I feel it would encourage PvP while still make trading and crafting necessary.

• Like 1

You cant find small action PvP because there is none to be had.  The grind of the hostility system is best tackled with a fleet, so for the most part we out go out in fleets, and when we find another fleet 9 out of 10 times they run or we run because no one wants to get rolled over and lose all their progress raising hostility.  What PvP that dose happen is almost all mission ganks, but most days when I sail out with people to respond to a hostile fleet in our area i don't end up in a pvp fight.  Sometimes we don't find them but most of the time they run away or log off in the battle screen.  Even doing PvE missions is falling out of favor when you can just use war supply for less risk and grater odds of success, though it is a massive pain in the ass to transport them.  

I will say that we in the British have not had an issue with randoms joining our port battles, but that being said most of our port battles have been far from our capital and that certainly plays a roll on that success.

Edited by Augustus Charles Hobart H
  • Like 2

For all the agreement I have had with this topic, I will say that the past two days were a bright spot for me.  Plenty of solo pvp to be had (for me at least).  Most of it, regrettably, with the same person.  However, it was a good weekend with both wins and losses for me.  I sailed alone, and generally found other like minded players of opposing nations (or those damn bloody pirates) with fair regularity.

Is this a shift in the paradigm of the game, or just a fluke soon to be "corrected"?  Time will tell.

As a french captain, i am close to say that since the last patch, i've had plenty of pvp encounters thanks to the tons of british surprises hunting on our waters. It can be frustrating but as a player since the steam release, i'm close to say that i have never met so many hostile players on the OW seeking for pvp even at 500ppl max connected.

Forcing shipcrafting to relocate outside capitals helped multiply the number of player's in traders sailing on OW, and the new roe helped assuring hunters the choice of the fight. 

What i understand is that it's the case only for fast frigates, captains willing to find large pvp or rated-class / heavy frigates pvp battles will have close to no opportunity to find such atm, maybe sailing improvement and balance could improve the diversity of the encounters. 

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec
  • Like 2

On 13/11/2016 at 4:38 AM, Tenakha Kan said:

Tommy and Lord Vicious have said it all.

Amen

True, this game is dead in it's current state. They tried the bandage before by merging PVP3 and PVP1, what happened, the population kept declining. People who really loved the game, now hates it - read steam reviews...with the current rating on steam, only a few new players are joining which is the death sentence to any game.

It's pretty easy doing an analysis, The analysis is "Cause and effect"! From February / March 2016, where there was like 1500/1700 people online, lot's of PVP even 1vs.1 and not least, the PVP was actually fun too.

Now where the population has declined to like 500 people at prime time, and the only PVP if it can be found is 1vs. a lot (I'm guessing here because I haven't bothered even logging into the game for more than a month, not even to use my crafting hours).

This game in my opinion is now in it's death spiral - do something drastic, or die. Simple as that.

Look at other games, where the Devs. implemented too many variables (Upgrade options, special retrofits, special events fits, in this game it's fine wood etc., and all too many other less significant things) these games die slowly simply because people (the cash cows) get fed up with the worsening of the game.

A good example of another game which suffers from the exact same thing as NA, is AW, why is it that WOT despite being hated by so many, in the end squashed AW? WOT is simple and actually fun, yes WOT has it's flaws, AW is complex at least when playing PVP.

The ordinary gamer - the one game developers feast on, don't want a too complex game, they want fun the very few hours they have available when coming home from work and needs a safe heaven from the wife or girlfriend. They don't want a freaking new job, spending numerous hours just to craft a ship worth fighting in, instead of a grey shitty ship. And since it's next to impossible finding good PVP, people try PVE, and get bored, and stop playing the game. Go figure...Two very devoted players said it (Tommy Shelby and Lord Viscious) said the truth about this game, which can be boilded down to a very simple phrase: Fix it or kill it fast

This is coming from a guy with this exact attitude - and the reason I went back to World of Warships, at least I can PVP there, and have some fun.

• Like 2

I came up with a suggestion that I think will fix it, its simple, and I think it will work.  Is it perfect and free of flaws and exploits?  Probably not, but at least people would be encouraged to go out into open world and pvp, and it would be easy to find simply by using the conquest tab.  Also, like many have said, the crafting for ships has gone too far.  Ships need to be made easy to craft so people are not afraid of losing their ships. 

Edited by Yar Matey

1 hour ago, Benass said:

Server reset before beta is closer and closer and IMO it is a major factor why some ppl stooped playing.

I honestly cant wrap my mind around that concept .  Im sure you are right because todays gamers like most kids these days are spoiled babies.

To me to quit because of a wipe some day is like not going to a concert because its going to end or not watching a movie because it end or better yet making a nice meal since all your hard work will get flushef down the drain with notning to show.

If people quit becauseof that then im glaf they are gone. They are the people who ruin fun for everyone else ingame with thier selfish attitudes.

If this game ever goes live they will be replaced quickly . 

Ill give you some context.

I started playing last reset. jan/feb 2016.  Enjoyed the game in pve/pvp. mainly pvp ing pirates in haiti. 

I use to have 1 ship and around 100k /200k in my bank to cover my expenses. Game was simple, fast paced, interesting.  Mainly pvp was cheap, i could loose few ships in a evening,

Make one trading run next day, make 50k and back to pvp.   Untill CREW patch hit us.

with crew patch i gone out sunk in action lost 900 crew, and run out of money in one evening.  1000 crew cost 300k -400k ? 

Right. now what. hmm. ok looks like i have to make some money in order to pvp.  I started making money. 

I thot i need alot of money to stay afloat. So i am making money to this day. Made over 100 000 000. But haven't had a single pvp match since then.

long story short. with loss of crew and silly prices to replace them devs shut me down on pvp.   

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Wraith said:

This is the most inane thing I've read on the forums in a while.  Why, if you enjoy PvP, do you still not do it in place of running up useless pixel gold?!  To play like you did before it's true,  you can't do it with 100/200k in the bank but all you need to be *very* comfortable and keep yourself in non-SoL ships for PvP is a couple of million maybe for trade goods like rum for medkit production?  Add to this a few hours spent capping AI fighting ships while fishing is on so you can make some medkits and press gang some crew, you're set.

Fer feck's sake man... Go out and fight... a hundred million is just stupid unless you're trying to corner the market on fine woods.

With current crew losses, it is very difficult to maintain your supply of gold to even support pvp.  Lose a first rate ship, and you are millions of gold and thousands of labor hours that it took to craft the ship.  Lose a 3rd rate or 4th rate, and you are still out hundreds of thousands of gold and/or labor hours.  If you are constantly on the losing end of pvp, good luck sustaining yourself doing pvp only.  Its simply not possible. 

Ships need to be easy to craft, nothing wrong with old crafting system with durability.  If durability is removed then the labor hour and cost of resources need to be reduced divisively by the amount of durability the ship used to have.  So a constitution with 1 durability should take 1/4 the resources and 1/4 the labor hours to craft and make all ships capt in pve usable including 3rd, 2nd and 1st rates so everyone has access to ships.  The introduction of the indefatigable and Endymion and the way you obtain them should be a valid way of obtaining any ship in the game.  Also, modules for ships need to be way cheaper to craft using labor hours and materials so people are not afraid of losing them in pvp.  A mid grade note should cost 10 silver coins and 25 labor hours to craft. 

Edited by Yar Matey

5 minutes ago, Hodo said:

LOL no.

Sorry but if you are losing several million a fight that you lose, you are doing EVERYTHING wrong. 

I fight, I doubt I have lost more than 20-30k at the worst.  I like Wraith sail around a lot in capped ships or in ships that I can buy for cheap.  On PVP2 my most expensive ship is my Ballona and it has never been sunk, but I have only used it 3 times.  My most used ship a Gold teak Essex has been sunk once, and I was put out all of 20k.  But I had medkits, I make them they are cheap and easy to make.    You know you always have the option to surrender to prevent the loss of your crew.   When you are down to the point where you CANT win the fight then just surrender.  Save everyone the time, and save yourself the money. 

IF you don't know how to surrender just hit ESCAPE, then put the courser over the SURRENDER option, and click your left mouse button.   Wait for the timer and done you surrendered.

It is simple math, 1 crew member is 500 gold, a constitution has 450 crew, if it sinks, you just lost 225,000 gold in crew costs.  Try starting from nothing in this game and get up and on your feet.  It is nearly impossible without the help of a clan. 

On 11/12/2016 at 1:40 AM, TommyShelby said:

Since the patch it seems almost impossible to find good PvP. In 20-25 hours of sailing around on OW i have managed to get 1 good fight.

Usually i don’t find anything and when i do find something it is 10-25 man fleets.

Solo/Small group PvP seems almost non-existent.

For a player like myself, and a clan like OCEAN, this is a horrible thing.

I am bored like never before and everyday i have less and less motivation to log into Naval Action.
So does my clan mates, right before the patch we would have 8-12 people online in our prime time, this number has fallen to 2-5.

Some people say i/we are looking for PvP in the wrong places. I asked those people where the right place is, i’ve gone to that place, sailed around for about 7 hours (spread out over 2 sessions) and my experience is the same as every other place on the map.

You find nothing or you find very big fleets.

I have no suggestion on what to change to make it better. But i hope someone else does.
I hope that something will change soon so that i can enjoy Naval Action again.

I’m posting this so that we can get a discussion going on this subject, and maybe get some suggestions on what can be changed to make Solo/Small group PvP plentiful once more.

Cheers.

Tommy Shelby.

Lol!

Here is some intellectual dissonance on work right there!

For months you have been here on forums arguing with ppl who have been predicting that this will happen to the game if they keep doing this changes that make Naval Action anything other than action and more like a job. You helped and encouraged it yourself! "all is fine, don't listen to naysayers" haha and when almost everybody had their fill and left for greener pastures now you're complaining? Why? You got what you wanted, you made your bed.

NOW GO LIE IN IT!! 

17 hours ago, Wraith said:

Not to mention that you can make at least 200,000 per day selling labor hours when you're a total newb, if you're not already using them to make medkits (which, as should be apparent to anyone, you can craft for much less than the cost of buying them).  However, when you're really "just starting out" crew loss is meaningless because it refills for free as soon as you're back in port. It costs you nothing.

If you are not new, and not starting out with nothing, (i.e. you are capable of fully crewing a connie) and can't make enough money to replenish your crew loss 3 times over in a single trade run in an LGV, you're doing something wrong. I mean really, ask someone to help you on your server, as I'm sure they'll help you learn how to make at least a million per trade run easy.

Yes i can make money, but it takes time. time that i could pvp instead but i cant. i have to make money to keep it up.  I play 2-3 h per day if lucky. Sunday i can play more. 

So yes i can pvp but i have to pve alot to make it even.  1 day of pvp = 3 - 4 days of pve. 

Thats how i play, and maybe thats how other ppl play.