Game-Labs Forum

What Nation(s) would you want to sail for and be aligned to?

Who would you sail for?  

860 members have voted

1. 1. What Nation(s) would you want to sail for and be aligned to?

• Britain
    • France
    • Denmark - Norway
    • Spain
    • United States
    • Sweden
    • Russia
    • Other

I'm still strugling with the idea that Portugal ins't in the poll. :blink:

It had the most powerfull armada in the 15th century.

btw search "Galleon São João Batista" aka the SpitFire  ;)

My choice would be Portugal > Spain > France

• Like 3

Portugal had its shinny moment up to 1560 ( time when Portugal and Spain united) with the discovery of the trade route to India. Up to that year Portugal Navy was one of the best in the world.

Until 1640 ( when Portugal declares independance from Spain) some of the fleet that Portugal had was either obsolet, sunk, sold or captured by Britain or other nation, Even tho Portugal had its Navy at the same level as the other nations.

After 1640 Portugal was mostly a bystander player mostly defending its colonies (repulsing the Dutch assaults on Mozambique, Goa and Macau) helping other nations like England on the battle of Twelfth Siege of Gibraltar (1704) and such.

So answering your question... yes  ;)

• Like 1

Have to admit, I had a good laugh when I read this :D.

BTW, France after all helped the US to be independent in the first place, so in this particular era they should be your second choice after USA!!!.

France?! BAH! :P  Do not forget about the Quasi-War. The US & France were not on the friendliest of terms then.

• Like 1

Was Portugal even a player in the mid-1600's and later?  I'm asking the question, I don't know.   :)

Well, the short answer, everywhere.... We where at war with spain and the netherlands at the same time, as well as you, remember the treaty of Windsor? the one treaty that stipulated on its begining the sending of 30 ships per year to england?

As far as i know, the peak of the portuguese power was in the begining of the XVIII century, before the industrial revolution and before the earthquake.

About this thread, i disagree with the people that say murica 4life, spain 4ever, if there is different ships, they are there for us to get them, and being narrowminded about nations its not a good thing, its what got charlie in the extreme sense..

I agree with the existence of manny other ships from manny other countries, venice had good ships, as well as genova, the otomans and manny others, but if portugal should be present, absolutely yes.

• Like 3

Once the sandbox is open, will there be any enforced balancing of Nations when choosing allegiance?

If, hypothetically speaking, the huge majority picked one Nation, what mechanisms could be used to ensure other Nations had any chance of enjoyment at all? Would it be self-balancing... the simple fact that there were no opponents for fights forcing Captains to change flag to get any action?

Because my mom's family is of dutch background and i always wanted to please my mom ... :rolleyes:

But my father's ancestors are from Denmark, so it is a really difficult decision. I'd go for both occasionally.

Btw:

I am new here. After watching the vids on Bismarck's and Sidestrafe's channels i couldn't resist any longer.

So we will probably meet again at Kamperduin. :huh:

For this time frame, I'd say either England, or France. I've always been highly intrigued by the constant push and pull in early naval technology between these two nations. Though England has always been renowned as having the absolute best navy and ships for the time.

Portugal however, was a very well renowned sea fairing nation as well that doesn't get as much respect as they deserve, especially considering their size compared to France and Spain. So backing them would indeed prove a challenge and thrill in many ways as well, especially considering they'd probably not get as much support from players as the bigger nations would...

It's hard to decide....

soo...

very.. hard..

• Like 2

For this time frame, I'd say either England, or France. I've always been highly intrigued by the constant push and pull in early naval technology between these two nations. Though England has always been renowned as having the absolute best navy and ships for the time.

Portugal however, was a very well renowned sea fairing nation as well that doesn't get as much respect as they deserve, especially considering their size compared to France and Spain. So backing them would indeed prove a challenge and thrill in many ways as well, especially considering they'd probably not get as much support from players as the bigger nations would...

It's hard to decide....

soo...

very.. hard..

While it's true that the Royal Navy probably had the better trained crews on average later in the Age of Sail, I don't think we can say the same about having the best ships. French shipbuilding probably had more of an influence with many succesfull designs that were adopted by other navies. 

The Froggies losing so many naval battles during the Napoleonic Wars had more to do with their decimated officer corps post Terreur. 

• Like 1

I read somewhere that its true, but the canons used by britain was inferior untill the early XVIII century, portugal, spain and the netherlands had the best navies at the time. With the decline of portugal, the stagnation of spain and the netherlands and the revolutions in the british navy lead them to their rise....all of this is in my knowledge, refute me if im wrong..

Also, manny people forget about the venetian, papal and genovese navies, they had very good ships, for some reason this nations alongside witth portugal defeated the otoman navy after they retreated from corfu in matapan cape in 1717.

While it's true that the Royal Navy probably had the better trained crews on average later in the Age of Sail, I don't think we can say the same about having the best ships. French shipbuilding probably had more of an influence with many succesfull designs that were adopted by other navies. 

The Froggies losing so many naval battles during the Napoleonic Wars had more to do with their decimated officer corps post Terreur. 

I read somewhere that its true, but the canons used by britain was inferior untill the early XVIII century, portugal, spain and the netherlands had the best navies at the time. With the decline of portugal, the stagnation of spain and the netherlands and the revolutions in the british navy lead them to their rise....all of this is in my knowledge, refute me if im wrong..

Also, manny people forget about the venetian, papal and genovese navies, they had very good ships, for some reason this nations alongside witth portugal defeated the otoman navy after they retreated from corfu in matapan cape in 1717.

I'm opt to believe you both right away. Can't believe everything you're told in history books, as they often times are skewed and bias sometimes, especially when it comes to the stereotypical understanding, generally those are NEVER completely correct.

Thanks for this update on history ^.^  ^_^

Well, the short answer, everywhere.... We where at war with spain and the netherlands at the same time, as well as you, remember the treaty of Windsor? the one treaty that stipulated on its begining the sending of 30 ships per year to england?

As far as i know, the peak of the portuguese power was in the begining of the XVIII century, before the industrial revolution and before the earthquake.

About this thread, i disagree with the people that say murica 4life, spain 4ever, if there is different ships, they are there for us to get them, and being narrowminded about nations its not a good thing, its what got charlie in the extreme sense..

I agree with the existence of manny other ships from manny other countries, venice had good ships, as well as genova, the otomans and manny others, but if portugal should be present, absolutely yes.

I totally agree with you (as a fellow portuguese ofc) the problem is finding ship plans on the web! As for paintings...I did found some ( at least for  2nd and 3rd rates) but it isn't much and certainly the devs need to model a ship.

I do know that the Navy's museum In Lisbon sells copies of ship plans...I bet the price will be everything but low.

I agree that devs should focus on ships/nations that had more "power"/"influence" to speed up the modeling (game content). If they would go and try to find some info on portuguese ships it would probably take time and slow overwall game-progress.