Game-Labs Forum

Enhancing Immersion and Increasing Activity

First off, I love this game and it's potential.

The suggestions I have, relate to immersion. To feeling like you're really there, in that day - instead of playing a game on a computer.

- Remove the way you look around on a ship. No Zoom in/out to see what's going. 

- Players should actually be on deck, walking around, barking orders. 

- For certain things, like shooting, allow the player to posses a gunner to aim, or scout in the crows nest. 

- Everything should be first person perspective imho - you're likely to get sea sick for christs sake - how awesome would that be?

- When the guns shoot, the screen should shake,etc.

The next suggestion will help increase the amount of action a player sees in a given night.

- Allow the use of automated fleet routes.

- The officer/captain you assign, helps or hurts with that assignment - much like the perks now.

- Players can be wherever, doesnt matter. The fleet or fleets are sent out to their run their routes. If/when that fleet comes under attack, the player can "posses" the captain and effectively teleport to the bridge and get involved.

- In this way, players could have several fleets leaving with goods all at one time. Maybe one is a decoy? Maybe your just risky type and send out 3 very valuable trader fleets at the same time. Suddenly, two are under attack. Now you have to choose - and the other battle is managed by AI until your battle is over.

The suggestions I have, relate to immersion. To feeling like you're really there, in that day - instead of playing a game on a computer.

- For certain things, like shooting, allow the player to posses a gunner to aim, or scout in the crows nest. 

- Everything should be first person perspective imho - you're likely to get sea sick for christs sake - how awesome would that be?

The next suggestion will help increase the amount of action a player sees in a given night.

- The officer/captain you assign, helps or hurts with that assignment - much like the perks now.

- Players can be wherever, doesnt matter. The fleet or fleets are sent out to their run their routes. If/when that fleet comes under attack, the player can "posses" the captain and effectively teleport to the bridge and get involved.

- In this way, players could have several fleets leaving with goods all at one time. Maybe one is a decoy? Maybe your just risky type and send out 3 very valuable trader fleets at the same time. Suddenly, two are under attack. Now you have to choose - and the other battle is managed by AI until your battle is over.

This can't happen in NA at this point, you are describing a new game concept wich will basically be a FPS, take a look at BlackWake and game of this kind, because reinventing NA is not a good idea...

• Like 2

- Everything should be first person perspective imho

- you're likely to get sea sick for christs sake - how awesome would that be?

I like your ideas. Then again I enjoy just traveling and navigating in game. But unfortunately it seems that NA is not about realism. The design of the game is really about grinding, advancing in rank, building or buying bigger ships and accumulating wealth (gold and XP). PVP is highly focused on competitive online fighting and accumulating more rank and wealth.

You may find that immersion is not a positive concept for many players. It can be considered tedious and distracting.

The game has huge potential. But I think most players consider sailing to be boring.

It would be wonderful if any development includes plans to increase the realism.

Regarding the first part, the immersion collection of topics, there are projects out there that are actually aiming for that. Search for them.

The second part of the topics is really puzzling. You claim activity increase but point out automated routes and fleet strategy deployment. My question is: You want to play a naval officer in your flag ship with a NPC fleet in tow or you want to play Admiralty / Indies Company ? Because the second options is not Naval Action but more another already available product.

P.S.- About the immersion you should search for a certain single player project being developed. Shame it won't be MP though which is a major major plus in NA and any game.

Do you want activity in Open World?

The devs have to fill it with a lot of new content (missions, random generated events of different type (not only shooting please), discovery expeditions, treasure fleets (scort or attack), dangerous storms...

If not, we are going to be always going from point A to B without diverting course, that means, afk sailing. 

Most of that could be player-generated content.  

Join with a clan and organize a discovery expedition, send a treasure fleet from port A to port B and announce it ... inviting attack.

And if you are AFK sailing with valuable cargo, I suggest you are probably in PvE and could get more "excitement" by sailing in PvP server.

~ HK ~

Suggestion that take away choices of a player are usually bad.

Adding a 1st player experience without taking the 3rdplayer shipview would be nice thou.

To open world "problem" the reason wh there is not much trade going on is that the resources are not clutterd enought, look at jamaika. Iron, coal Life Oak fir, gold silver copper, sitting door on door to each other, you sail maybe 15 mins and you are able to build a ship.

BUT, with the next few patches the resources on ports will change to their historic location, means new trading hubs, but also more traders actuel sailing. creates trading routes that cant be protcted by the "coast guard" more loss and gain better for the economity

I would love for a deck camera, sailing a small ship next to a victory or santi must be and extraordinary feeling, especialy if its the enemies ship.

In my opinion it could take too much coding to bind a certain camera position to a certain key (F1,F2,...). If one could walk around but still use right click to go to the aiming mode.

Especialy on ships with no front chasers I would like to see a better option instead of the spyglass.