Game-Labs Forum

New Laptop Graphics Probs - NA now Unplayable - Suggestions?

BobW-Bristol-RI-US

Been part of the test team on laptops exclusively since Sea Trials - Last one was a Win10 Dell 13 inch, played no probs.

This one is a brandy new Dell Inspiron 13 - Win 10, Intel i7-6500 CPU @2.5Ghz w/12GB RAM 64 bit

Graphics Intel 520...

But now, the sea graphics in OW are staccato - broken and jagged (ship looks fine).

Tried:

- Changed every 'in game' options > graphics setting I could find - no joy.

- Changed compatibility mode for client.exe and client_exe in Steam folders - no joy.

But with the sea graphics all jittery, the game is unplayable for me.

Is there something that I'm missing here? Unless you folks have some other ideas / recommended settings, I'll (sadly) have to find something to play/do.

By the way - laptops are how I play (and must play). Desktop gaming machines are not an option for me - work and travel demand laptop play only. 

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions... as I will sorely miss NA if I have to bow out.

Regards all,

Bob W (Muttley), Bristol RI, US

I have problems with my geforce GTX 960M as well. I am only able to play on medium settings and forcing fps in settings to 15 so I get no frame drops from time to time. So I guess your Graphics Intel 520 is just to bad for this game.

Edited by z4ys

I am using GTX 960M and I am playing this game 24-35 FPS in OW and 30-40 in battles. Most settings are high/ultra, screenshot below:

Graphics_1.pngGraphics_2.png

What is your GPU temp with these settings?

Check to see if your laptop has more than one video chipset.  My 4 year old Lenovo  T420 plays the game ok when I travel, but I had to make sure it used the NVIDIA NVS 4200M instead of the Intel chipset for this game.   If you do find the machine has two chip sets, you may need to download the drivers for the 2nd one.    

In case that's NVIDIA and in case this applies to you, there is a per-program setting within the NVIDA control panel, under Manage 3D settings, then "Program Settings". 

Thanks for all replies - Guess I'm done, for now. After dropping over $1.5K on two laptops in past few months (first Dell Win10 played fine, broke power jack, killed laptop - bought second what seemed to be even nicer Dell Win10 laptop - but you know the Intel 520 graphics story)... Can't realistically justify dropping more cash on another machine just for NA. Well, I could, but then I'd be yet another sad, lonely divorced old guy with only virtual wenches to keep me warm at night... and it gets too cold in New England for that folks.

So, I'll bow out of testing, and come back when next I get another machine with better graphics capability than this. See you all again in the future.

Regards all,

Bob Williams (Muttley), Bristol, RI, US

Thanks for all replies - Guess I'm done, for now. After dropping over $1.5K on two laptops in past few months (first Dell Win10 played fine, broke power jack, killed laptop - bought second what seemed to be even nicer Dell Win10 laptop - but you know the Intel 520 graphics story)... Can't realistically justify dropping more cash on another machine just for NA. Well, I could, but then I'd be yet another sad, lonely divorced old guy with only virtual wenches to keep me warm at night... and it gets too cold in New England for that folks.

So, I'll bow out of testing, and come back when next I get another machine with better graphics capability than this. See you all again in the future.

Regards all,

Bob Williams (Muttley), Bristol, RI, US

One suggestion, RMA the broken devices, you got at least 1 year warranty on your devices(im pretty sure at least) use it, no need to waste money.

I'm pretty sure the 520 is the gpu built into the processor.  You won't get much out of it.  All you can do is go into your bios and make sure it has as much memory dedicated to it as possible.

For those with Nvidia GTX 950-980M processors you still might have a problem if your laptop has the built in GPU turned on.  Best bet, if your model of laptop will let you, turn off the integrated GPU and use the Nvidia for everything.  In my case, I have no option to turn of the integrated GPU.  I had to go into the Nvidia control panel and change it from auto to always use the GTX card for every program that supports it.  I did that and now my 960m kicked in and the game looks nice and is playable.   That dual video card for power saving thing does not always work as advertised.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/optimus/technology

I'm pretty sure the 520 is the gpu built into the processor.  You won't get much out of it.  All you can do is go into your bios and make sure it has as much memory dedicated to it as possible.

For those with Nvidia GTX 950-980M processors you still might have a problem if your laptop has the built in GPU turned on.  Best bet, if your model of laptop will let you, turn off the integrated GPU and use the Nvidia for everything.  In my case, I have no option to turn of the integrated GPU.  I had to go into the Nvidia control panel and change it from auto to always use the GTX card for every program that supports it.  I did that and now my 960m kicked in and the game looks nice and is playable.   That dual video card for power saving thing does not always work as advertised.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/optimus/technology

Keep in mind that doing this with all programs will really drain your battery.

I have been experiencing the same problems mentioned in the topic post, glitchy broken sea that has weird colors. This happened just after I installed windows update yesterday. Before that the game ran smoothly and looked great on high graphic level. I have system restored to before the update but there's a trade off for other problems that occur (such as all my other games perform much worse; total war, warthunder ect. and my osd doesnt work). Maybe there's a way to tinker with it without removing the whole update?

specs Alienware m17x

Intel® Core i7 - 2670QM @2.20GHz

8.00 GB RAM

64 - bit windows 7

AMD Radeon HD 6900M series

Please Help!!

Also I am going through different driver versions for my AMD Radeon graphics card, maybe you guys know which one best supports Naval action? For sure its not the newest (crimson) or 14.12 AMD catalyst.

I have been experiencing the same problems mentioned in the topic post, glitchy broken sea that has weird colors. This happened just after I installed windows update yesterday. Before that the game ran smoothly and looked great on high graphic level. I have system restored to before the update but there's a trade off for other problems that occur (such as all my other games perform much worse; total war, warthunder ect. and my osd doesnt work). Maybe there's a way to tinker with it without removing the whole update?

specs Alienware m17x

Intel® Core i7 - 2670QM @2.20GHz

8.00 GB RAM

64 - bit windows 7

AMD Radeon HD 6900M series

Please Help!!

Could you make clean driver install after windows update and then install NA? If the graphics glitch is still there try to set Compatibility Mode with Windows 7 on the both client.exe and client_,exe files (here \SteamApps\common\Naval Action)

Could you make clean driver install after windows update and then install NA? If the graphics glitch is still there try to set Compatibility Mode with Windows 7 on the both client.exe and client_,exe files (here \SteamApps\common\Naval Action)

Tried both to no avail. There's a bunch of optional windows updates that maybe I need to experiment with? Just afraid they might crash my AMD driver (has happened before). The problem is very specific that there is no horizon where the water and the sky are not separated and the ocean in the distance is jagged and glitchy, however my boat and the sky and all the water within a good sized parameter of my boat look fine

So I've narrowed it down to the AMD driver. Hopefully you guys dev guys can make it compatible with the current AMD drivers Crimson 12.2.1 when it the game becomes more optimized.

Bit late, but are those the latest drivers? im running on the latest crimson drivers and i have no problems

Bit late, but are those the latest drivers? im running on the latest crimson drivers and i have no problems

For me yes, I have to use the legacy crimson 12.2.1 for windows 7. Pls refer to this page--- http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+7+-+64

This driver currently isn't working for Naval action.