Game-Labs Forum

Commerce Meaningless without the ability to beef up towns

The strength of the commerce game is meaningless in this game.  It only serves one purpose.  Buying and Building Ships.  Yet this active commerce by players many of who do only crafting and trade does very little to defend towns that are taken when they are offline with only a couple AI towers to defend.  Even a small country that has been overtaken by hoards of large Clan gankers cannot defend itself against such mechanics.  Therefore they lose their outposts and plantations along with access to cheaper goods.   Even if they smuggle the good to maintain their economy it again makes the game meaningless if they cannot take towns because of rank or numbers.  The games needs an more even defensive capability for such small country players.

I propose a method of providing money to towns for their defense.  That is players of a small country can contribute to a towns defense with their plantation profits.  Capital cities are completely untakeable.  There should be a way for certain economic centers and colonies to achieve near that in defensive capabilities.  This would keep factions more viable on the map.  Not like the current mess on PVP US 2 where factions get down to just their capital.   Players log on, dont want to start all over again.  They are not part of a large Ganking Clan that switches all their assets by gift cheat to a clan member's second account who returns it to them when they switch.  These economic players are left in the gaps in this game.  

1. Money builds forts so it takes more that normal forts to kill.  Enemy does not know that instead of the 2 or 3 forts for a non economic defensive port they suddenly have to take 4 or 6 towers before the town falls.  
  2. Hit power of towers can be contributed to and increase gun sizes for defense.
  3. Certain increased attributes are bought for defense such as Pellew Sights.
  4. Finally larger forts or grouped forts are produced so that one side of the port has closer forts that are harder to destroy. 
  • Like 1

I think I wrote this sometime earlier.

i would like to see that flags shall be bought with gold, silver and copper coins, depending on the size of the towns.

The price shall differ, depending on the number of town a nation already have.

Let's say if all nations have an equal number of town, the price per flag shall be 1000 coins, if the number rises above that, it gets more expensive, if the number is lower the price drops.

This gives some advantage to the smaller nations, while the bigger ones can afford higher costs.

Keep in mind that port battles are going to be reworked: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/13606-war-and-port-battles-rework-moderated/

I think one or more suggestions that have been made is having the capital produce war supplies cheaper/faster. So a small nation has a shorter supply line to defend territory.

The Ports we have are beefed up compared to historical counterparts. 70% of the settlements didn't go above 600 souls, hardly any labour for plantations and farms and commerce let alone for your shipyards.

If anything I'd work from the opposite. Regional Capitals established and the rest had to be developed by player actions, but I bet no one wants to play "menial tasks" just to evolve a town.

I'm willing to bet that with the appropriate motives(personally i don't need one) everybody will love being part of the "colonialism" game.

Yep. I think that if the Hostility coding works nice the same can be done to Towns growth.

Would love to see a 1640 kickstart of the map and let the ports grow or not depending on "insert something here" done by the players.

• Like 2