Game-Labs Forum

Pirate waters

Even as a pirate its never sat right with me that most of my faction is busy fighting a national war all day rather than raping and pillaging.

The problem is , is that the way the game is set up you need to own ports in order to build stuff so its hard to encourage the pirate life if it means starving.

What about letting pirates have " waters" instead of land ? This is just a rough idea that can be added to and tweaked but lets say a clan can put its warehouse in any port ( national ports too with smuggler flag) exept a capital port and the nearest ports to it.

Then once the warehouse is planted that port and a area around that port including other ports become usable by the pirates in tnat clan like it was a pirate port. They could build buildings use resorces and build ships.

Only clans members gain these benifits and the size of territory does not increase with members.

This way pirates are not tied to a area or capital or resorces and will all spread out acrosss the map and be much more realistic. Freeports would still operate as they do now for pirates so they can move about like anyone else.

Pirates should be able to raid but not conquer ports from then on. This still give players the opportunity to play big battles and own thier own land without being involved in a war or taking ports from nationals.

Can this be done ? Or improved?

Edited by Mrdoomed
  • Like 4

This sounds like a good idea. It would make the pirates more unpredictable but I'm a bit afraid by letting the pirates chose their "hometown" freely. It is okay to give the pirates some choices but still, I dont think that to given them the right to the open market in that place would be good. Think about it, historicaly they were able to infiltrade ports. But building a oversea branche there and letting those pirates work like normal people wasnt the case.

I belive, pirates should be way more focused about grapping themself goods by capturing other ships more than by producing themself.

It should be better if the pirates got a few "pirates strongholds" where they can produce, but nowhere else. (Those ports must be distributed over the whole map)

• Like 1

This sounds like a good idea. It would make the pirates more unpredictable but I'm a bit afraid by letting the pirates chose their "hometown" freely. It is okay to give the pirates some choices but still, I dont think that to given them the right to the open market in that place would be good. Think about it, historicaly they were able to infiltrade ports. But building a oversea branche there and letting those pirates work like normal people wasnt the case.

I belive, pirates should be way more focused about grapping themself goods by capturing other ships more than by producing themself.

It should be better if the pirates got a few "pirates strongholds" where they can produce, but nowhere else. (Those ports must be distributed over the whole map)

I thought about those things too and figured that without faxes, telephone, tv or radio most people didnt know what thier king REALLY looked like let along a guy whos captain stole stuff at sea. So getting into ports and spending money on goods and services [ whuch local politicians liked im sure)would be ok.

Only certain captains would recognize them or thier names and those players can easily wait for them outside port.

Of course they would have access to the local markets but thier names are on stuff they sell or want to buy so only the most unscrupulous national captain would buy it.

Ifnthey get to bothersome theu could be run off by a clan of nationals.like real life.

I think too pirates will spread naturally because they wont allwant to compete for se resorces.

I think it will all move organically.

i am Bahamian and i can tell you this i know my country, i know my people, i know our history and in the age of piracy people did what ever the hell they wanted even though we flew the British flag. in fact if you have the right amount of cash our country still operates the same way.

Edited by Tief N Tote

i am Bahamian and i can tell you this i know my country, i know my people, i know our history and in the age of piracy people did what ever the hell they wanted even though we flew the British flag. in fact if you have the right amount of cash our country still operates the same way.

Like the governor of Port Royal told Henry Morgan while giving him privateer rights - The King is too far away. I'm interested about my share.

• Like 2

I like it.  I think they should be able to choose any port they want to, maybe even a capital.  Each time they dock it adds a point of pirate activity, every time a pirate attacks a national within 50 km of the port it adds 1 point of pirate activity per BR of pirate ships in the battle.  When a certain threshold is reached, nationals can then have a port battle with the pirates to remove them from the port.  If the nationals win, the pirates have 72 hours to get anything they want out of the port before they are blocked access to the port.  They can try to reopen another stronghold in that port 1-2 weeks later??  If the nationals don't start a port battle but let it slide, the pirate stronghold is strengthened in some way, maybe it requires more contention from the national faction before they can root the pirates out.

• Like 1

Free ports are good enough, imo, for pirates. I've opened all outposts and only one is a pirate port, mortimer. I have 3 shipyards in free towns and can get enough mats as a smuggler.

You play just like my small clan. If you or heath ever get bored on pv1 look me up lol.

• Like 1