Game-Labs Forum

Players who enjoy building a online community

As a older gamer who remembers the days of EQ,SWG, Vanguard or even potbs and the community in those games that cared more about building and playing a role in the online world they where in than they did abut power grinding to max level and then doing dailies for top gear.

Does this game have enough players who also enjoyed that kind of environment to all play on one server ( iwould suggest pvp2 since its smaller) and play a more player driven world where we dont worry as much about how fast we can do somethng but more so if we are enjoying it or not?

If anyone on pvp1 is interested in a different kind of play and joins my faction i will do what i can to get you started ( within reason, i cant give away 10 ships lol) and im sure most players would have no problems buying someone a starting ship to get them going.

Is this just an old school players pipe dream or would enough people play both servers or slowly move over to the slow paced server ?

PLEASE if this dont interest you there is no need to assine or rude or pointless comments ok. I along with some others would like to see the game be wht it could be to its potential using the great tools we already have.

Edited by Mrdoomed
  • Like 3

I see a significant number of players who meet that description on PvP1 EU.

The clan leads, the diplomats and many of the 'punters', I site the work done by players on map websites, BP websites etc using the game API's, the write ups in national on some of the fights (Skully being a great example...despite being a pirate scum dog), the treaty worked on by the French, Danes, Dutch and Swedes is a piece of art and involved much player love, don't care if you do or don't like it, it is a testimony to player communities. The advent of national TS's. And always one to blow smoke up his own bottom...my weekly Letter to the Kings.

My clan has a very mature, patient, fun, competative core that reflects very much my needs to enjoy the game.

There are lots of folks in game, on forum who are perhaps over emotional, sometimes this is a personal thing, othertimes it is that they are so invested in the game.

• Like 6

The thing I see is, it is hard to bridge the gap between in-game and out-game stuff. If you are not part of a (/the :P ) clan, then it's very unlikely you stumble across these things.

We have farmers, traders, fleeters, bankers, commanders and recently lots of fishermen. But there is close to nothing that makes it visible to outsiders. Which I think is a bummer.

Maybe what we could use is a "bulletin" board in ports?

Everybody owning an outpost could put in a single line (say 40 characters) naming his outpost. Clicking on it could reveal a description.

Then in a "Town" tab, show all single lines sorted by owner and amended with "owned by ...". (The sorting makes it look interesting, yet you can still find certain buildings.)

Trade Post owned by Skully

Selling Carriages for reasonable prices.

Buying resources at best price.

Open 8-9, please PM.

AUSFC Recruitment Office owned by Fasti

Are you playing in 10-12 server time?

And looking for some real action?

Tired of hiding in safe ports?

See interesting battles and tactics?

Come on over to the Black and join AUSFC.

TL;DR lets liven up the ports a bit.  :) 

• Like 4

Yeah i enjoy reading the news letter, i used to write a few called " life of a pirate" or something back months ago but still enjoy reading them.

Maybe someday players can transfer thier stuff to a certain server and all the so called " role play" types can get on one server and make a difference and influence new players towards a approach other than i need to win.

My offer stands if anyone wants to move servers or play both during different times. I can try to get you a ship and sone help to get started building up . Our economy isnt as bad as pvp1 so fold goes way farther here.

• Like 1

Hello. This is my first multiplayer game. I don't get a lot of time to play and when I found this game on Steam I could not resist. I have always loved sailing, though I am landlocked in real life.

I spent my first week on PvE and was ready to move to a PVP server because frankly this game will be more interesting played with other people. Then came the merge and the chaos that followed on PVP1. So I made a character on PvP1 and PvP2. I settled for PvP2 because it fit me best atm. I read everything I have time for on this forum and the Steam forum. During the past month I have found what is great about each server. PvE is really needed as a tutorial because this game has such a steep learning curve. PvP1 is good for the players that want a lot of battles all the time. PvP2 is for people that want that but a little more laid back. They have sorted out to meet each community's needs. I think all three have their place and I hope that the dev's keep all three.

I really enjoy "Letter to the King" and Skully's writings, with drawings. I like the idea that we should be able to advertise our OP stores. I definitely think that people should be able to take their stuff to the other server if they are caught on the wrong one after the merger but that they should not be able to mine the other server. It appears that is what some seem to be doing in anticipation of another possible server merge. Such a thing will wreck game play, economy and community. Sorry, I digress, I touched a hot button. 

What I wanted to say was, no Mrdoomed, it is not a pipe dream. There are people that want to play this slower pace. I am older and like the pace, I have met Cap Blackthorne and a couple of other people on this server and avidly read the chats while I am on the game and I like what I am experiencing. Right now I am busy learning the game. I have the urge to visit every port I can before I settle down and join a clan. I would be a burden atm because I am too busy running around plus I have always been an independent person in real life. Just have to see how I sort out. Haha. I hope to meet you on the high seas. 

While I have you ear Mrdoomed, could we (I'm US) do some diplomacy with the French and Swedes to reinvigorate them so that we have more factions? Maybe they could go on a crusade of Rat whacking, not a danger to the other factions, so that they could get back on their feet. Just a thought. BTW, I hope you are not a pirate and I have just insulted you. OMG, I better watch the horizon at all times, I'll get tracked down and seal clubbed for sure. Just kidding.

Ed                     

• Like 2

The thing I see is, it is hard to bridge the gap between in-game and out-game stuff. If you are not part of a (/the :P ) clan, then it's very unlikely you stumble across these things.

We have farmers, traders, fleeters, bankers, commanders and recently lots of fishermen. But there is close to nothing that makes it visible to outsiders. Which I think is a bummer.

Maybe what we could use is a "bulletin" board in ports?

Everybody owning an outpost could put in a single line (say 40 characters) naming his outpost. Clicking on it could reveal a description.

Then in a "Town" tab, show all single lines sorted by owner and amended with "owned by ...". (The sorting makes it look interesting, yet you can still find certain buildings.)

Trade Post owned by Skully

Selling Carriages for reasonable prices.

Buying resources at best price.

Open 8-9, please PM.

AUSFC Recruitment Office owned by Fasti

Are you playing in 10-12 server time?

And looking for some real action?

Tired of hiding in safe ports?

See interesting battles and tactics?

Come on over to the Black and join AUSFC.

TL;DR lets liven up the ports a bit.  :)

LOL ninja recruitment post 8)...

In general i think there is always 5-10% that herd the cats toward the furnace.....

EQ for instance was a grind until you got to Endgame content then you had to raid which took organization.....after a while it also meant you had to keep timers in your TZ....thus Asia vs US Battles which happened to get spawns in their TZ for extended periods of timer.   There was a necessity for groups to form.

Naval action has already had this because of lack of mechanics in play for diplomacy,  There is also a testers group....(not that they seem to get to test things just debate stuff) 

reality is all games get communities to some extent but development has to open the door for it., reddit already has a group ...a lot of solid gaming groups have trialed NA for this.

Unfortunately the problem at the moment is that Devs are struggling.  This means they are less about building community and working on API etc than they are trying to solve issues which are bigger than they thought initially.    Also the reality is that they wont open it up to modding so that cuts out a lot of people from working with them.

At this moment i feel that there is a distinct lack of dev<=>community relationship and i think that they are not trying to solve it yet....and maybe never will.  When they said bizarre things like "prep for release" on a development schedule when clearly most things are not close to ready just goes to show the devs have a different understanding of what they think makes a game work.

• Like 1

Hello. This is my first multiplayer game. I don't get a lot of time to play and when I found this game on Steam I could not resist. I have always loved sailing, though I am landlocked in real life.

I spent my first week on PvE and was ready to move to a PVP server because frankly this game will be more interesting played with other people. Then came the merge and the chaos that followed on PVP1. So I made a character on PvP1 and PvP2. I settled for PvP2 because it fit me best atm. I read everything I have time for on this forum and the Steam forum. During the past month I have found what is great about each server. PvE is really needed as a tutorial because this game has such a steep learning curve. PvP1 is good for the players that want a lot of battles all the time. PvP2 is for people that want that but a little more laid back. They have sorted out to meet each community's needs. I think all three have their place and I hope that the dev's keep all three.

I really enjoy "Letter to the King" and Skully's writings, with drawings. I like the idea that we should be able to advertise our OP stores. I definitely think that people should be able to take their stuff to the other server if they are caught on the wrong one after the merger but that they should not be able to mine the other server. It appears that is what some seem to be doing in anticipation of another possible server merge. Such a thing will wreck game play, economy and community. Sorry, I digress, I touched a hot button.

What I wanted to say was, no Mrdoomed, it is not a pipe dream. There are people that want to play this slower pace. I am older and like the pace, I have met Cap Blackthorne and a couple of other people on this server and avidly read the chats while I am on the game and I like what I am experiencing. Right now I am busy learning the game. I have the urge to visit every port I can before I settle down and join a clan. I would be a burden atm because I am too busy running around plus I have always been an independent person in real life. Just have to see how I sort out. Haha. I hope to meet you on the high seas.

While I have you ear Mrdoomed, could we (I'm US) do some diplomacy with the French and Swedes to reinvigorate them so that we have more factions? Maybe they could go on a crusade of Rat whacking, not a danger to the other factions, so that they could get back on their feet. Just a thought. BTW, I hope you are not a pirate and I have just insulted you. OMG, I better watch the horizon at all times, I'll get tracked down and seal clubbed for sure. Just kidding.

Ed

Lol well i AM a pirate and i have recently aquired a taste for goods manufactured in the US soooooo. Lol

As far as working with the sweads etc i dont have a problem with it as my clan has done privateer work for nations before. Weve helped fights outside port battles or intercepted fleets etc and back before no cooldown teleports , when strategy mattered, we would often make raids somewhere to draw troops away.

Only stipulation is we wont fight pirates. It makes for bad times.

We should encourage the nations in pvp1 who dont stand a chance to come over to pvp2 where they can be real players !

Glad to meet you Mrdoomed. Looks like I have stuck a stick in a hornets nest. Now you pirates will be ever watchful for me so you can teach me a lesson about proper respect. I would probably tremble in fear but I am an American and we don't do that well. I regret that your recently acquired taste for American goods, no squalid European stuff here, will most likely go unsatisfied. We Americans are as wily as foxes, slippery as eels and we bite like vipers.

I think that most of the French and Swedes have gone to PvP1, I do wish that they would come back. If they still have a character here they can do both. I have a character on each server, though I have not used the others since I settled here, and the only difference I see is that you lose work hours when you go from one to the other. The dev's could fix that so that what is on one server stays on that server and no one loses anything.

I also had this idea that once a month the dev's could carve out a bit of the PvE server so that we could have a tournament, of sorts, between PvP1 and PvP2. PvE could join also, if they wanted, would give them quite a thrill at no cost to their way of game play. Just giving up part of their map in the ocean once a month. I know, they will look at me like I am completely loopy, I am no coder, but in my mind you would make a porthole so people could bring their ships over, play the tournament and sail back with their prizes. We are three completely different styles of game play but it could could give us a greater sense of overall community.               

• 1 month later...

a. As a older gamer who remembers the days of EQ,SWG, Vanguard or even potbs and the community in those games that cared more about building and playing a role in the online world they where in than they did abut power grinding to max level and then doing dailies for top gear.

b. Does this game have enough players who also enjoyed that kind of environment to all play on one server ( iwould suggest pvp2 since its smaller) and play a more player driven world where we dont worry as much about how fast we can do somethng but more so if we are enjoying it or not?

a. You cannot be this old. EQ, SWG? What about Dark age of Camelot ?

Guess, it is all happening because of the fcb, selfie and youtube-world.

Can remember i told a player-friend..."Oh, and i did this and than this, this was funny."

His reaction: "You need to broadcst this !"

Eh, no. Why, I am not a superstar nor a model. I am a casual-player (not in NA, needs to change !), average in every respect.

Those times "pushing to the extreme" to climb ladders (Diablo 2, Starcraft 1) are long ago..

b. Sure. I can recommend PIRATES.

Well, not right now. but Pirates should offer a huge variety of possible gameplays. And part of this should be to spend most off

the time in pubs singing and drinking (= being offline, real life). The RvR-chase, steam-roling ports, max XP, 1st rate fleets,

that´s reserved for the nationals. I am offline, if the money is off, I go ONLINE and hunt.

The pirate life.

Edited by Wilson09

a. You cannot be this old. EQ, SWG? What about Dark age of Camelot ?

Guess, it is all happening because of the fcb, selfie and youtube-world.

Can remember i told a player-friend..."Oh, and i did this and than this, this was funny."

His reaction: "You need to broadcst this !"

Eh, no. Why, I am not a superstar nor a model. I am a casual-player (not in NA, hoe it changeS),

average in every respect.

Those times "pushing to the extreme" to clim ladders (Diablo 2, Starcraft 1) are long ago..

b. Sure.

First mmo game i played was star fleet command on a 14k modem lol.

I was on Vallon Zek race war server from the day it opened.

EQ, it was a wonderful  but brutal experience, some of the best no holds barred pvp I have ever been in.  On many occasions you simply had to get up and go for a walk before you did something stupid like put your fist through your monitor screen.

I am too old for that sort of stress now, sailing ships are much more relaxing. I enjoy the pace of Naval action.

I am really cheesed off with all this lovey dovey behaviour between all the major factions though its driving me nuts.

Edited by Fletch67

I was on Vallon Zek race war server from the day it opened.

EQ, it was a wonderful but brutal experience, some of the best no holds barred pvp I have ever been in. On many occasions you simply had to get up and go for a walk before you did something stupid like put your fist through your monitor screen.

I am too old for that sort of stress now, sailing ships are much more relaxing. I enjoy the pace of Naval action.

I am really cheesed off with all this lovey dovey behaviour between all the major factions though its driving me nuts.

Yeab EQ sorta ruined me forever on mmorpgs because to me it was hands down the best. Well before all of luclin opened up and teleport books killed the zones.

With the day/night cycle and weather and lack of any map other than a home made one made every sigle zone feel like you was really there.

Tens of thousands of people all knew each other helped or harmed each other and the pvp was brutal.

AND CORPSE RUNS !! I hated and loved them. Made failing feel like failing lol.

Its what first got me it NA was the more laid back slower pace way of it. Kinda like if you used your mind you didnt need to have super gameboy reflexes and know every little trick and combo to win. You just outsmart them....now its getting more fast travel gameboy feeling. I still have hope and its not to bad as it is.

Edited by Mrdoomed

Maybe, rename the thread. club of 40+ ?? :)

Will not secure "quality" gameplay, though...

-------------

Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. 

Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. (Tom Wilson)

Edited by Wilson09
  • Like 1

Yeab EQ sorta ruined me forever on mmorpgs because to me it was hands down the best. Well before all of luclin opened up and teleport books killed the zones.

With the day/night cycle and weather and lack of any map other than a home made one made every sigle zone feel like you was really there.

Tens of thousands of people all knew each other helped or harmed each other and the pvp was brutal.

AND CORPSE RUNS !! I hated and loved them. Made failing feel like failing lol.

Its what first got me it NA was the more laid back slower pace way of it. Kinda like if you used your mind you didnt need to have super gameboy reflexes and know every little trick and combo to win. You just outsmart them....now its getting more fast travel gameboy feeling. I still have hope and its not to bad as it is.

Still have an active EQ account although I dont play on the PVP server. I just like to log in every now and then and revisit the old places.

I was on the Nameless server. Our gathering spot for all trade and sales and crafting was the east commons tunnles.

I cut my teeth as a noob doing task for the high level players who needed pelts or silk etc. The players today just cant imagine a internet world like that.