Game-Labs Forum

Write all players that only hunts newbes here.

Kronans

Someone sails a ship undercrewed and looking for pve ( cuz thats all his crew can handle ) in a pvp server and is sank ?

That seems logical and deserved . I think your safe space needs revaluation.

It is just a matter of wrong place wrong time. Has nothing to do with being deserved or not.

It just happened :) and yes I am going to TOTALLY and UTTERLY blame the players of his nation giving bad advice.

This is where the fish meat hits the fan. A lot of bad advice and the newcomer actually takes heed... *shakes head*

We need a NA Community Naval Academy A.S.A.P. ( there was one before long ago )

Second luietnant(or however its written) Gives you 200 Crew. Id prefer undercrewing a reno with that but its fine for a frig in PVE. And why does someone deserves a Gank because he undercrews? Logic not existent.

OK I will admit it was probably harsh for me to say that Torgaz deserved a gank (regardless of the definition).  Very few situations where you deserve it IMO.  I apologize for the harshness of the statement.

As pointed out elsewhere in this thread there is a forum vote that shows that players favor NOT protecting new players by a factor of 4 to 1 (80.8% to 19.2% at the time of this post http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14663-restrict-high-rank-vs-low-rank-on-pvp-server-seal-clubbing/ ).  So if you sail alone maybe you just need to be wiser.

Paint, regarding your comment I quoted.  If you throw out numbers please use facts.  Exaggerations or L..s don't prove a point, they just twist statistics and cause confusion.  I think the unofficial WIKI actually has posted the latest rank XP numbers for each faction.  If they are off, they are still very close.  Here's the link:

http://www.navalactionwiki.com/index.php?title=Player_Ranks

Torgaz said he sailed a Frigate on the second day, fully crewed that's 280 men.  Look at the Wiki number from the link above, you see that you need to go through 6000 XP in order to get to a rank that can crew only 200 men, your quoted number.  His story is day 2 from owning the game he sailed the frigate.  Now if you can go through 6000 XP in 1 day without having any experience in this game as a newb and competently sail and fight with a ship 71% crewed, alone, then I will bow down and salute you.  But please don't twist the story with bad numbers: a Second Lieutenant crews 120, not 200.  120 crew of a 280 crew ship is 42% crewed, that is totally undermanned, so that is why I originally said he deserved it, although yes per above I admit that was harsh.  It may just be a newb mistake to 42% crew a ship, so being a newb it would not be deserved, just unawares.  In any case, even using the correct numbers that I quoted it's still 4 to 1 players don't want to protect newbs.

Edited by Jean Ribault

I dont even think the term "gank" is fair to use in a pvp rvr game where it is the object to beat the enemy however you can.

Griefing or gangbang squads should be used instead. Ganking indicates they are doing something kinda wrong or taking advantage of a exploit to me. If im playing hearts of iron as germany and then france, russia and England all attack me i dont consider that a gank so im not sure why ships sinking an enemy here isna gank.

Ganking

It is a word commonly used in online video games, usualy used in an MMORPG. Ganking is the process in which a group of charecters gang up on one or more players that do not have a chance to defend themselves, Or when one high level player does the same action to a player way below his or her own level.

Edited by Torgaz

I'm not sure I see the point of this thread as the entire issue is purely situational in every occurrence.

Instead of trying to define a gank wouldn't it make more sense to define a noob or baby seal?

Let's say your off the coast of Port a Royal and a British midshipman player in a basic cutter exits the green. Ok that looks like noobie. Perhaps he deserves a pass.

Let's say your off the coast of Kingston France at a port under attack and along comes a British midshipman in a basic cutter watching the French ship movements and strengths. Noobie? Probably not.

What if your sailing near Sudbury and a 2nd Lt. Exits the free port in a Snow and sails straight towards blockading pirates. Noobie? Probably.

What if it's 2nd Lt. In a corronade Frigate trying to maximize his xp in missions because he knows the game system well enough to know the under crew won't hurt him in the mission and the extra damage will spike the xp. But thinks he should be able to sail right through the pirate blockade. Noobie. No not really. He obviously knows better and is just taking advantage of the situation just like the he does the game mechanics in the mission.

Unless you can describe the situations that lead to each of these encounters it's never going to be 100% clear who is seal clubbing and who is not. If you really want to make this list I would add that the encountered at least needed to happen in the vicinity of the starting capital of the suggested noob.

Edited by Bach

Ganking

It is a word commonly used in online video games, usualy used in an MMORPG. Ganking is the process in which a group of charecters gang up on one or more players that do not have a chance to defend themselves, Or when one high level player does the same action to a player way below his or her own level.

Yes so ganking does not apply in your whine. Everyone has a chance to defend themselves. You can keep your eyes open and run you can call for help you can play to your level and ship size to stand a btter chance and since there are only like 10 levels in total and anyone can sail any size ship the level difference doent matter.

Perhaps you are mad over lack of skills, situational awareness or lack of preparation on your part to let people attack you but its still not a gank.