Game-Labs Forum

Hello, I had a thought of something that might be able to combat overextension of nations, all traders know that ports produce and consume, well what if the "consume" was made into something that players had to manage. If a port is neglected for a week or 2 and it doesn't have the resources it needs to be able to function properly then it could have some sort of "revolt" this would mean that the port now switches to a neutral port with an anytime or random timer set for it. I think this could combat the problem of nations zerging the map because maintaining those ports would be more and more difficult the bigger you get.

• Like 7

sounds like a good idea but until the server has population it would be untestable.

at the moment the metric for over extension is when people start defending......so 3 ports from their capital it would seem. I mean that seriously too,  where ever you live + 3 or 4 ports any direction is all you care about

Edited by Fastidius
  • Like 1

It sounds interesting, but straight up this suggestion would favour highly populated nations extremely.

As it should sort of.... But remember if the need goes up enough the price the NPCs will pay for what they consume also should go up... So that would make an interesting line to walk... cut them off for a while to up the price then sell a bunch to make them happy again... BUT you have to be careful some other nation doesnt send in Smugglers to sell to them and make them happier with them;)

sounds like a good idea but until the server has population it would be untestable.

at the moment the metric for over extension is when people start defending......so 3 ports from their capital it would seem. I mean that seriously too,  where ever you live + 3 or 4 ports any direction is all you care about

Yes I have been thinking about it and this would require a larger population.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I have been thinking about it and this would require a larger population.

Perhaps the port would just become deserted...even better, at the beginning of the game none of these ports would exist (save the capitals) until we players bring life to it, then it would appear on the map with a different sized dot indicating the port population/activity. If the port becomes neglected then the port fades off the map again like a deserted city. 

• Like 2

This assumes that there are no AI fulfilling the role.  If AI were able to run real supplies, maintaining a nation might include posting product for sale where it is not consumed, and letting the AI move the goods, and take the profit.

Since capitals consume just about everything, you could not rely on that, and if the AI were coded to avoid using free ports, you would still have to get the supplies somewhere in your national ports.

This would also give incentive to smugglers to disrupt a nations AI traders by clearing out stock in the known supply ports, and forcing players to directly deliver these goods.

Perhaps the port would just become deserted...even better, at the beginning of the game none of these ports would exist (save the capitals) until we players bring life to it, then it would appear on the map with a different sized dot indicating the port population/activity. If the port becomes neglected then the port fades off the map again like a deserted city. 

Another option would be for the ports to simply stop producing their daily production, and be easier to generate hostility against, given the proposed hostility mechanics.

They could even have a susceptibility rate that if spied out would show just how fast  and easy hostility could be raised.  Buildings could lower this rate, and starvation raise it.

• Like 1