Game-Labs Forum

A better BP Discovery Process

Having now built 10 exceptional Frigates in the random, mysterious and undefined quest for an Ingermanland (or indeed Trincomelee) Blue Print I have reached the well formed conclusion that random, unexplained and mysterious mechanics for my in-game crafting capability to improve is, in technical game tester speak "Pants".

I offer an alternative.

Each time you craft a ship you earn Crafters Wisdom Points (better name can be substituted).

The more complex the ship the more wisdom you accrue. By example :

Traders Snow 1pt.

Master craft Traders Snow 3pts

Exception Traders Snow 5pts

Frigate 10pts

Victory 50pts

etc etc.

You can then trade your Crafters Wisdom for 'Blueprints' from the list of your yet to be earned blueprints.

Additional :

Once you have reached your player XP cap as a crafter, you earn 10% extra wisdom points for being a recognised artisan.

Once you reach your player XP cap as a captain, then capturing a player or AI ship of the type you need the BP for and sending it to the admiralty grants you either 'crafter wisdom points' or a fixed ?? 10% ?? chance to learn the BP of the captured ship.

After all, the designers of many ships, expanded their knowledge of ship building by examining enemy captured ships and cherry picking their 'stuff'.

Love Jeheil, who has now spent 30 days, crafting ships he doesn't want to get a BP for one he does.

If as Dev's you think this is a spiffy idea and wonder how you can reward such spiffyness...well ya know what would be nice :)

• Like 6

Having now built 10 exceptional Frigates in the random, mysterious and undefined quest for an Ingermanland (or indeed Trincomelee) Blue Print I have reached the well formed conclusion that random, unexplained and mysterious mechanics for my in-game crafting capability to improve is, in technical game tester speak "Pants".

I offer an alternative.

Each time you craft a ship you earn Crafters Wisdom Points (better name can be substituted).

The more complex the ship the more wisdom you accrue. By example :

Traders Snow 1pt.

Master craft Traders Snow 3pts

Exception Traders Snow 5pts

Frigate 10pts

Victory 50pts

etc etc.

You can then trade your Crafters Wisdom for 'Blueprints' from the list of your yet to be earned blueprints.

Additional :

Once you have reached your player XP cap as a crafter, you earn 10% extra wisdom points for being a recognised artisan.

Once you reach your player XP cap as a captain, then capturing a player or AI ship of the type you need the BP for and sending it to the admiralty grants you either 'crafter wisdom points' or a fixed ?? 10% ?? chance to learn the BP of the captured ship.

After all, the designers of many ships, expanded their knowledge of ship building by examining enemy captured ships and cherry picking their 'stuff'.

Love Jeheil, who has now spent 30 days, crafting ships he doesn't want to get a BP for one he does.

If as Dev's you think this is a spiffy idea and wonder how you can reward such spiffyness...well ya know what would be nice :)

They said quite a while that the entire BP system is due for an overhaul, but as you most likely noticed from the riots in the forums there are more serious game aspects to work on beforehand. Although im a lone wolf crafter and would love a better crafting system, i still want some BP's ( specially for the biggest ships) to have some rarity and work put into getting them. If i have a large chance or getting points towards discovering a new ship, with each AI i cap id have all ship recipes within a week, which seems a bit excessive. 

They said quite a while that the entire BP system is due for an overhaul, but as you most likely noticed from the riots in the forums there are more serious game aspects to work on beforehand. Although im a lone wolf crafter and would love a better crafting system, i still want some BP's ( specially for the biggest ships) to have some rarity and work put into getting them. If i have a large chance or getting points towards discovering a new ship, with each AI i cap id have all ship recipes within a week, which seems a bit excessive. 

What´s the problem with that?

You won´t be able to do that as a low rank/new player and a high rank player should be able to get the BP easier, since he can actually use the ships crafted from those BPs.

I never liked systems that are purely based on luck, this game is advertised as Simulation afaik, and RNG/luck shouldn´t play a role in vital parts of this game, such as Crafting and Combat.

PS: I have all the BPs now that I wanted and will be using, but still think his suggestions are well thought out and are a necessary change!

Edited by Bommel

Crafting could work like a "ship".

The "ship" would be the shipyard.

The "crew" would be the Labour Hours ( simulates a threshold of how much "crew" it can hold, salaries, living quarters, supplies, etc. )

The "upgrades" would be Shipyard Equipment, like better water pumps for the dry dock, cargo lifters, etc. These could increase %% of efficiency in LH.

The "officers" would be hired ship building masters. A Naval Architect, a Master Carpenter, etc.

A Naval Architect would always carry 1 unrated BP and 1 specific BP, to represent some degree of proficiency building certain types.

All of these would participate towards Basic Quality ships ( or up to Fine if the Naval Architect would be like a famous national figure ).

Crafting Notes would still be in place representing the different schematics needed to build a ship.

The proposal sounds very good.

The crafter wisdom points are far more compelling than the current craft XP system. And they let the crafter know when exaxtly he'll be able to get the next BP. No guessing any more. I would wish for a similar system regarding player's national reputation (collecting battle points and trade them in for better officers, for example). Kudos!

What´s the problem with that?

You won´t be able to do that as a low rank/new player and a high rank player should be able to get the BP easier, since he can actually use the ships crafted from those BPs.

I never liked systems that are purely based on luck, this game is advertised as Simulation afaik, and RNG/luck shouldn´t play a role in vital parts of this game, such as Crafting and Combat.

PS: I have all the BPs now that I wanted and will be using, but still think his suggestions are well thought out and are a necessary change!

That more or less like getting rid of the BP's in general. I would maybe understand it if player captured ships would yield these crafting points once the ship is dismantled. But capturing an AI Santisima takes 5-7 minutes including sailing towards it and turning it against the wind. So with a system like this might as well just learn all BP's as soon as you reach max rank.

That more or less like getting rid of the BP's in general. I would maybe understand it if player captured ships would yield these crafting points once the ship is dismantled. But capturing an AI Santisima takes 5-7 minutes including sailing towards it and turning it against the wind. So with a system like this might as well just learn all BP's as soon as you reach max rank.

That sounds like, the real problem is, that boarding ships is way too easy now. And not that this proposed system would be bad.

Eventhough Admin stated that boarding is fine I highly disagree, there is no skill involved, all you need is basic sailing skills and gold boarding upgrades.

That sounds like, the real problem is, that boarding ships is way too easy now. And not that this proposed system would be bad.

Eventhough Admin stated that boarding is fine I highly disagree, there is no skill involved, all you need is basic sailing skills and gold boarding upgrades.

Although the mods are OP without a doubt, AI will be easy as hell to board even if they nerf them. It's made by design to have a lag on all players actions. So yeah although a point system like Op suggested is a viable, i vote on a definite no, for learning ships by capping AI. If you cap a players ship and decide to dismantle it, sure, since you actually had put work into it.

If this gets used though i would also like some ships to be learnt by default, as is now and the BP's you purchase in this manner to be single/limited use, so that those points dont become irrelevant after a month, when you learnt everything, and that newly introduced ships in new patches arent instantly learnt by the entirety of the server

+1 to OP.

I like the rareness of BPs but not after 10 crafted ships...the BP should drop.

yea , the idea is fine in theory but once you realize that your only lot for the day, thx to labor hours, will most likely be just another blank you start losing commitment..

I mean, obviously, Devs wanna put the emphasis on buying rather than crafting ships.. If they would find a way to 'sell' the idea of RnG BPs a little better to the player the wall most players will run into wouldn't be all that hurtful.. Like stating in-game via pop up that higher quality increases drop rate, for example. Higher crafting lvl increases drop rate of lower lvl BPs and so on..

Edited by BACk ALLEY ShENANiGANS