Game-Labs Forum

Pirate "nation" re work

Dear Developers,

Firstly I like to say you have created a beautiful and truely unique game that i am thouroughly enjoying! (im addicted ;P). However It is my opinion that there Is a shortfall within the Pirate "Nation".

It is my belief that the Pirate faction needs a re work, for this I have few ideas:

1. Limit the number of beginning Pirate ports, historically Pirates only truely sailed from a very select few ports with in the carribean.

2. Created a reputational based rank system in which Pirates have to sink or capture other ships to build there reputation as a fearsome pirate or raid ports (more XP and gold for PVP compared to PVE)

3. Create a "pirate hunting bounty system" in National Ports to promote Privateering, bounties should reputational based (I beleive this already happens in forums) and upon collecting a bounty it would give you an aproximate location and heading (e.g - Pirate Captain X wanted reward £100,000 last seen near Nassau heading NW) this would create an extra bit of added excitment and danger in the conduct of Pirate activities.

4. Allow raiding rather than capturing of ports, Pirates should be able to buy a flag for a Port ,similar to the current mechanic. But rather then announce it to the server through a server message, have it not annouced at all. The flag would serve merely as a means to raid a port. Once a Ports defences have been destroyed and the Port infiltrated Pirates would have full access to all resources within the Port with exception of player ships. (Just because they are much harder to procure then resources)

5. Captured ship conversion, in history a lot of Pirate ships were traditionally captured and repurposed merchant vessels and small warships. I believe the game should facilitate this as well it would add a level of personal customization unique to the Pirate faction. But still have the ability to build the available ships

6. Have Pirate Faction specific upgrades, Pirates were a unique society of people who had cut ties with the tradtional bonds of society to seek a criminal life among the seas. These people came from all walks of life and brought with them thier own attributes and personalities to which ever ship they called home.I think it would be awesome if Pirates had unique upgrades available within the Pirate faction similar to the new "charasmatic boatswain" e.g - you could have "Ruthless Buccaneer" which provide a morale and melee boost in boarding scenarios.

7.Have Player created Pirate "Jacks", traditionally Pirates created their own Jacks that were synonymous with Piratical acts and reputation. I think it would be awesome if Pirates were able to create thier own Jacks synonymous to thier actions within the OW. I am aware there would be a certain few who would abuse this to have volgar and demeaning things as thier Jacks but this could be easily policed with a reporting system. You could also limit it by having a standardized black background or a standardized set of objects that could be mixed and matched for customization.

8. Allow for Pirate Privateering, traditionally Pirates were hired by nations (British especially ) to commerce raid and hunt particular warships of a certain nation. Nations could place "Privateering Contracts" into a server wide database of a specific ship or a certain number of merchant vessels in which when in a Pirate Port Pirates would be able to see contract lists and choose contracts as they please. Once completed The Pirate would return to port and collect thier reward. Additionally Pirates would be able to fly the flag of the contractor nation and then once in combat would "hoist the black" thus spreading thier reputation.

Yours faithfully

Captain saintjacktar

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States

Edited by saintjacktar
  • Like 2

1. Limit the number of beginning Pirate ports, historically Pirates only truely sailed from a very select few ports with in the carribean.

Yes and no: while pirates would "operate" out of very few select ports, this did not mean they were restricted to them or the area around them. Pirates were known to simply operate out of shallow coves and inlets (usually shallow enough to ensure larger, deeper-draught ships couldn't pursue them) where they could perform (light) repairs and regroup. Basically, they set up wherever they could. A system of temporary and semi-permanent havens and camps could be a viable option to static pirate ports: Pirate Havens, etc.

3. Create a "pirate hunting bounty system" in National Ports to promote Privateering, bounties should reputational based (I beleive this already happens in forums) and upon collecting a bounty it would give you an aproximate location and heading (e.g - Pirate Captain X wanted reward £100,000 last seen near Nassau heading NW) this would create an extra bit of added excitment and danger in the conduct of Pirate activities.

Bounty systems are always tricky as they are prone to being abused or gamed (be it via x-teaming or what have you). We must tread lightly when/if trying to implement a bounty system.

5. Captured ship conversion, in history a lot of Pirate ships were traditionally captured and repurposed merchant vessels and small warships. I believe the game should facilitate this as well it would add a level of personal customization unique to the Pirate faction. But still have the ability to build the available ships

Pirates capturing "small warships" may be a bit of a stretch, but yes, customization of ship's purpose should be allowed, but it should not be exclusive to pirates. We are already seeing different variants of the same ship: Brig-> Regular, trader, and Navy variant. historically, many merchant vessels could have been re-purposed for combat during wartime. Similarly, navy vessels may have reduced their armaments during peacetime. As such, almost everyone should have the option to change the focus of their ship: Ship Variants

6. Have Pirate Faction specific upgrades, Pirates were a unique society of people who had cut ties with the tradtional bonds of society to seek a criminal life among the seas. These people came from all walks of life and brought with them thier own attributes and personalities to which ever ship they called home.I think it would be awesome if Pirates had unique upgrades available within the Pirate faction similar to the new "charasmatic boatswain" e.g - you could have "Ruthless Buccaneer" which provide a morale and melee boost in boarding scenarios.

I must disagree with this: there shouldn't be any class/nation specific fittings/skills/ships to affect combat capabilities. In the end each player should have equal opportunity when it comes to armament, and that when the chips are down, skill wins the day, not fittings or ships that are only accessible to one nation or class

8. Allow for Pirate Privateering, traditionally Pirates were hired by nations (British especially ) to commerce raid and hunt particular warships of a certain nation. Nations could place "Privateering Contracts" into a server wide database of a specific ship or a certain number of merchant vessels in which when in a Pirate Port Pirates would be able to see contract lists and choose contracts as they please. Once completed The Pirate would return to port and collect thier reward. Additionally Pirates would be able to fly the flag of the contractor nation and then once in combat would "hoist the black" thus spreading thier reputation.

Agreed, but again, I do not think it should be limited to just pirates. Privateering should be available to everyone. They should also serve as an avenue for pirates to join a nation (should they wish). Every now and then (or at the outset of a new war) Letters of Marque could be offered by the warring factions, but only a set number. After that, LoMs could be purchased by individuals or groups: Letters of Marque

Here's a different suggestion; get rid of pirates as a 'nation' entirely.

What this would mean is that pirates could not own ports (apart perhaps from Mortimer Town), and would be restricted to operating out of free towns. This also means, as free towns cannot have buildings apart from shipyards, that pirates would be forced to get resources by trading at free towns, smuggling them from other ports, or raiding traders. Mortimer Town should also be limited to shipyards only in this scenario.

They should not be a starting option, instead you would have to 'turn' pirate the way you do now.

In return, perhaps they should be able to capture NPC ships the old way to get 1 dura ships, and have some kind of mechanic to raid ports ala #4 here.

My 2 cents on the issue.

Edited by Elouda
  • Like 1

What this would mean is that pirates could not own ports (apart perhaps from Mortimer Town), and would be restricted to operating out of free towns. This also means, as free towns cannot have buildings apart from shipyards, that pirates would be forced to get resources by trading at free towns, smuggling them from other ports, or raiding traders. Mortimer Town should also be limited to shipyards only in this scenario.

They should not be a starting option, instead you would have to 'turn' pirate the way you do now.

In return, perhaps they should be able to capture NPC ships the old way to get 1 dura ships, and have some kind of mechanic to raid ports ala #4 here.

My 2 cents on the issue.

I think that would just result in the same game we have now except pirates will stroll around in an endless supply of SOLs. They should cap pirate crews at 450 to encourage frigate action most of the time and occasionally using SOLs for heavy support.

I think that would just result in the same game we have now except pirates will stroll around in an endless supply of SOLs. They should cap pirate crews at 450 to encourage frigate action most of the time and occasionally using SOLs for heavy support.

Fair enough. Or the ability to cap could be restricted to 5th rates and below.

While I would like a pirate mechanic that helps to make them less of a nation and more "piraty" I don't think the fact that there is a pirate nation is what's causing the problem.

If everybody would have joined Britain when their nation was loosing ports instead of pirates for instance the game would have the same problem. It would be red instead of black ;-)

The easyer switch nation mechanic that pirates enjoy caused the problem (and may have sped up things) to be a pirate problem, not the fact that they are an immersion breaking nation in 1st rates.

Pirates captured more Ports through naval action in this time frame than Americans did.

Americans should be limited only their original ports only.

Americans should not be allowed anything bigger than frigates.

I make these suggestions only to make gameplay more realistic.

Pirates captured more Ports through naval action in this time frame than Americans did.

What does the US have to do with this thread? B)

Dear Mr BeeRanch,

Thank you for your very constuctive comment,if only it had any relevance to my original post perhaps maybe create your own topic?

Kind regards

Captain saintjacktar

Australian Flottilla

Tattered Flags

United States

Can we please stop creating pirate nation rework threads?  I'm all for changing the pirate nation, but there's so many threads already in existence.  I get you want your own thread for a personal brand (hey this is mine, pay attention to it), but c'mon, less spam please.

Pirates shouldn't be a nation, i agree. They should have their own unique gamepay option.

But i fear, that much players wanna play pirate and it results into a huge pirate population.

But in history the pirates are a rarity. I dont want to see that the trading players in NA can't play

coz of so much players feels like "Jack Sparrow". And i dont want to see, that the a rich nation

rent the most pirates to fight their war. As a result of this thoughts the pirates must

be very hard to play and need to have much disadvantages to minimize the population.

My 2 cents on the issue.

I support this.  What we really need is a better reputation system/diplomacy system.  

Can we please stop creating pirate nation rework threads?  I'm all for changing the pirate nation, but there's so many threads already in existence.  I get you want your own thread for a personal brand (hey this is mine, pay attention to it), but c'mon, less spam please.

Dear Haratik,

Sorry brother if my thread annoys you, I just had some ideas I thought would balance the Pirate faction, server player base and still make it fun to be a Pirate.

Regards,

Captain Saintjacktar

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States