Game-Labs Forum

New Picture of the new Forts for Port-Battles

Thonar

• 4 months later...

Pretty sure it's a ship designed by Da Vinci.

I been binge-watching Da Vinci's Demons (isn't On-Demand awesome?), and in Season 2 he creates a 2-man submersible with paddles and ballast.  I wonder if that ever really happened, or if just theatrical?  The earliest I know of is The Hunley, so brilliantly depicted in the movie of that name (with Armand Assante....bonus!), civil war era.

Da Vinci's [...] creates a 2-man submersible with paddles and ballast.  I wonder if that ever really happened, or if just theatrical?  The earliest I know of is The Hunley [...].

99% of da vinci demons is purely theatrical XD

Well, there's the names that are there, and it takes place in the approximate correct locations... nah scratch that last part XD

He did some sketches of a submarine, and so have many other people.

The first operational submarine was not the hunley, but a submarine by Cornelis Drebel, some 200 years before the Hunley, and some 100 years after da vinci sketches.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard
  • Like 1

I been binge-watching Da Vinci's Demons (isn't On-Demand awesome?), and in Season 2 he creates a 2-man submersible with paddles and ballast.  I wonder if that ever really happened, or if just theatrical?  The earliest I know of is The Hunley, so brilliantly depicted in the movie of that name (with Armand Assante....bonus!), civil war era.

Someone actually bested the Huntley by about 88 years:

Turtle, built by the US in 1775 for use during the Revolutionary War/War for Independence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_(submersible)

Turtle_submarine_1776.jpg

Edit:  Just noticed the post about the Dutch submarine.

So the Turtle was the earliest American submarine; and possibly the first submarine used in naval combat.

Edited by Chijohnaok
  • Like 1

Speaking of subs, If you haven't seen it already, watch Das Boot.

Bonus pic: the sumarine-cruiser-aircraft-carrier. It actually existed.

800px-Surcouf-outlines-1932.svg.png

We might be getting a bit sidetracked.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard
  • Like 1