Game-Labs Forum

Rum

Barbancourt

Gents, Lasses, Pirates, when it comes to rum, at this particular time in my life (a poor, broke college students) only one type of rum suites me: the cheapest. Alas, I must agree that Captain Morgan is a fine. However other, less seasoned rums I find better for mixing and for relaxing. Captain to me is the "Party Rum." Other rums such as Don Q and a local fair 'Old New Orleans" are better for those relaxing days when ye just want to sit back, sip, and have a calm cigar or pipe.

If'n ye fancy yerself a rum enthusiast, then I highly recommend And a Bottle of Rum by Wayne Curtis. He tells the story of America's history as well as some Caribbean history through the glass of a rum bottle. 

In concluding his book, he offers some suggestions for his favorite rums, prefacing with "I will not be listing any spiced rums here, for I assume you want to drink rum, not candied liquor."

Well to be fair to you laddy, I have tried the supermarket's own brand. It's almost have the price. Bought it because it was the only one they sold in a half bottle, and I knew if I bought the full 70cl, I'd tan it all in one night  :lol: 

It wasn't bad! In fact, it's probably one of the more well known brands. Supermarkets do that a lot with their own brands.

• 2 weeks later...

As a summer gift to William the Drake (and poor broke but thirsty students everywhere) here's a tip that works great with vodka (not too sure about rum).  Buy the cheapest rotgut you can find (Popov comes to mind) and run it through a Brita filter 3 or 4 times.  Takes out the impurities and the finished product ends of tasting like Grey Goose.

As to rum, give me El Dorado 12 or 15, Demarrara from Guyana.  Great value for the money (especially the 12).  Pyrat is also very good (especially if you like a taste of orange).  Had a rum down in BVI called St. Lucie or St. Lucia that was excellent for $12 the bottle but can't find it here in Buffalo

NA, it's all YOUR fault ,NOT mine. you JUST HAD to have a caption on a load screen that said, AND I quote " you need rum". well, now I got me a bottle of El Dorado  Special Reserve, and just a teenager at 15yrs old. how good is it? I'll let ya know :P

edit: this be rather nice. supposedly it 's aged in oak bourbon casks, but there's a hint of sherry on opening the bottle. all the same, it's a really nice rum

Edited by Capt Hornblower

• 4 weeks later...

On a hot day I normally sip mount gay eclipse with a splash of tonic and a quarter lime (keep the scurvy away), very refreshing. When I'm feeling fancy I run with one of two variations of a mai-tai:

Trader Vic’s original recipe, 1944
* 2 oz 17-year J. Wray Nephew Jamaican rum
* 1 oz lime juice
* 0.5 oz French Garnier orgeat/falernum
* 0.5 oz Holland DeKuyper orange curacao
* 0.25 oz rock candy syrup/orgeat
Shake and strain into an old-fashioned glass filled with crushed ice, garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.

or

Smuggler’s Cove Mai Tai
* 2 oz premium aged rum (Appleton Estate 12-year or El Dorado 12-year)
* 0.75 oz fresh lime juice
* 0.5 oz orange curacao
* 0.25 oz rock candy syrup (2 parts rock candy, 1 part water)
* 0.25 oz orgeat almond syrup
Shake vigorously on crushed ice, pour unstrained into double old-fashioned glass, garnish with a squeeze of lime juice and fresh mint sprig.

If clear bacardi is what I have I go with the standard daquiri: 

### Daiquiri
* 2oz Rum
* 1/2 - 1 oz Lime
* 1 tsp. simple syrup, add more to taste.
Shake/strain

If I'm having a party, rum punch it is!

### Rum Punch
* One part sour, (lime juice)
* two parts sweet, (fruit juices, simple syrup)
* three parts strong, (rum)
* four parts weak. (water)

My daughter just got back from the Caribean and brought me a bottle of rum.  I haven't opened it yet; anyone know if it's any good?  Mount Gay XO Reserve ?

That stuff is the primo mount gay. It's excellent. I wouldn't mix it unless with a bit of water (or over ice), or at most tonic.

• 2 months later...

Finally tried Craken. £23 for 70cl  :wacko:

Have to say... it's wonderful. Didn't realise it was spiced but straight, it's great!

really? got  bottle of black spiced and find it's kinda cough mediciney, even when mixed with ginger beer. also picked up Cruzan's Blackstrap. now THAT is nice tasting rum, esPECIALly with ginger beer. rather molassesy, unlike Kraken. think rum cake or even plum pudding for the smell on Cruzan. it's worth a try

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...