Game-Labs Forum

serious prob, just installed

Capt Hornblower

and on entering battle screen flicker a coupla times then turned greyish. alt-tabbed out to look up forum and rig locked up completely. on restarting, windows load screen ran then turned blue with no error text, requiring to restart again in safe mode/networking. anyone familiar with this? ran client in 64, I think.. in going into safe mode  there are narrow greenish vertical bars widely spread on screen. thx

can't access gfx card control panel in safe mode, which for now is the only way I can get online. radeon 7870 is slightly overclocked.

rig specs: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z; FX 8350; Asus 7870; Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX; Corsair AX860i psu; 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3; Corsair   M4 SSD 128GB, WD 1TB; x18 DVR212D; 7SP1

Edited by Capt Hornblower

as a test I disabled everything in msconfig, restarted and same no text blue screen. looks like my 7870 got toasted. fortunately I'll have a r9 390x next week. not sure I'll be playing NA, at least not until it's been better optimized, which SHOULD be a priority over bug fixes. something wrong when a game has to be run in compatibility mode, and gfx settings not used/reduced, and whatever else issues there may be, and that's unfortunate too as this is a type of game I've wondered would ever come to be. the age of sail, a time we'll never see the likes of again

Edited by Capt Hornblower

yeah, in the case of NA, considering the screen flickered a few seconds, long enuff to get off a full broadside and partial reload before the screen went TOTally grey. after having to restart, cuz everything froze except the cursor and ctrl-alt-del couldn't be use to close NA, the restart got as far as the welcome screen and immediately went blue, resulting in having to run safe mode where I had green artifact lines scattered all over. a google search for something similar didn't get much more than a gfx card problem. this has never happened before with ANY game running on a slight;y o/c'd card. if you're covered in cookie crumbs, it's safe to assume you've been dipping in the cookie jar

if you're covered in cookie crumbs, it's safe to assume you've been dipping in the cookie jar

And is this the cookies manufacturer' responsibility to keep your jar of cookies closed?

Temperature and hardware maintenance is ALWAYS a consumer and hardware producer responsibility, and never software developer one.

What developer does is "tell" his game - "go use whatever the guys allow to look the best you can!". It's user and hardware producer responsibility that working at 100% the card does not melt. Especially if it's OCd, its 100% your responsibility. If you made it dish out more joice than your fan can handle - and had not temp control on top of that! - what was the dev supposed to do? Not use 100% of your card? But why, when it's safe for everywone with stock setup?

The card will never go into "meltdown" state due to software. It cannot overcome the 100% on it's own. It requires either broken/busted cooling or OC beyond cooling capacities to break.

Sorry to say that, but it's on you, producer of your card or OC'er of your card, but not in the slightest on the game's devs. Next time be sure to monitor your temperatures closely - sure as hell I started to since I went through that episode as well.

• Like 1