Game-Labs Forum

It's because the hull of Surprise is that of the real frigate, the former French L'Unite. She apparently had a billethead instead of a figurehead.

Only the rig and cosmetic details are patterned on 21st Century Fox's retrofitting Rose.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The in game Surprise needs the figure head and 12 pounders. A tubby little Russell Crowe on the quarterdeck would be awesome too.

Yes! She had 12 pounders during the Sea Trials. Would love to have them back. :)

How bout the Acheron too while we're at it:)

The Acheron is already in the game but not the one you saw in the movie. If you have read all the books you realize that the movie is quite different. It contains events from several books of the series (20 completed + 1 unfinished). The main plot is from the tenth book but the enemy frigate was not the Acheron, as a matter of fact it was not even French. It was the American USS Norfolk and they never get to battle each other. The Norfolk wrecked on a reef by a typhoon and thats where the Surprise found her remaining crew. 

A quote from the wiki page

"In the Author's Note, O'Brian says that the USS Norfolk recalls the historical expedition of the USS EssexEssex sailed in South Atlantic waters and along the coast of Brazil until January 1813 when Captain David Porter undertook the decimation of English whale fisheries in the Pacific.[1] Although her crew suffered greatly from a shortage of provisions and heavy gales while rounding Cape Horn, she anchored safely at ValparaísoChile, on 14 March, having seized schooners Elizabeth and Nereyda along the way. The next five months brought Essex 13 prizes."

If you check the Essex's wiki page you will see that it's the same ship that had been added to the game a few weeks ago... So basically the Acheron is already in the game. :)

• Like 1

Yes! She had 12 pounders during the Sea Trials. Would love to have them back. :)

The Acheron is already in the game but not the one you saw in the movie. If you have read all the books you realize that the movie is quite different. It contains events from several books of the series (20 completed + 1 unfinished). The main plot is from the tenth book but the enemy frigate was not the Acheron, as a matter of fact it was not even French. It was the American USS Norfolk and they never get to battle each other. The Norfolk wrecked on a reef by a typhoon and thats where the Surprise found her remaining crew. 

A quote from the wiki page

"In the Author's Note, O'Brian says that the USS Norfolk recalls the historical expedition of the USS EssexEssex sailed in South Atlantic waters and along the coast of Brazil until January 1813 when Captain David Porter undertook the decimation of English whale fisheries in the Pacific.[1] Although her crew suffered greatly from a shortage of provisions and heavy gales while rounding Cape Horn, she anchored safely at ValparaísoChile, on 14 March, having seized schooners Elizabeth and Nereyda along the way. The next five months brought Essex 13 prizes."

If you check the Essex's wiki page you will see that it's the same ship that had been added to the game a few weeks ago... So basically the Acheron is already in the game. :)

Wait, the Archeron is not supposed to be a Constitution class ship?

Or an essex?

I really want to know since I sail for the France I want the Archeron. :3

Wait, the Archeron is not supposed to be a Constitution class ship?

Or an essex?

I really want to know since I sail for the France I want the Archeron. :3

It's a fictional ship but her actions were inspired by the USS Essex (linked above) which was portrayed in the book as the USS Norfolk.

Edited by Lockheed
  • Like 1

So, to have the closest thing to the Archeron in the movie, the Essex is the ship to go?

I've read that it was portrayed or was supposed to be a constitution class. (Too bad it sit in the middle of two rank. Can't be used when you can have the Trinco, but near useless when you can have the 3rd rate.)

I think it should be around the Essex/Trinco. It was a large frigate with 44 cannons (mentioned in the movie) and the Constitution had over 50 cannons. But its a fictional ship the ingame Essex does not have chasers for example but close enough. :)

As for the Constitution I think its a beautiful ship with a terrifying armament and a very strong hull. Its a beast really. I do not care much for Lineships I am in love with frigates and the Consti is one hell of a frigate. The 3rd rate (the generic one not the Bellona) is a slow, sluggish whale, the Consti can easily out-turn her so I would not say she is useless against a 3rd. But she isn't a lineship so dont try to fight like one. :)

Edited by Lockheed
  • Like 1

I think it should be around the Essex/Trinco. It was a large frigate with 44 cannons (mentioned in the movie) and the Constitution had over 50 cannons. But its a fictional ship the ingame Essex does not have chasers for example but close enough. :)

As for the Constitution I think its a beautiful ship with a terrifying armament and a very strong hull. Its a beast really. I do not care much for Lineships I am in love with frigates and the Consti is one hell of a frigate. The 3rd rate (the generic one not the Bellona) is a slow, sluggish whale, the Consti can easily out-turn her so I would not say she is useless against a 3rd. But she isn't a lineship so dont try to fight like one. :)

Hopefully, in one or two patch, Ships of the line will be only for Regional Town in the port battle. Giving much more lpace to the frigates that will be available for the Normal Town.

Good thing, I've just reached Capitaine de Vaisseau rank. Wich mean I can get a Trincomalee. :)

(But my ship would be called La Sentinel )

Edited by KuroNyra

The in game Surprise needs the figure head and 12 pounders. A tubby little Russell Crowe on the quarterdeck would be awesome too.

I do agree that the Surprise would be better with 12 pounders but from my research i have only found that its largest cannons were 9 lbs. When it was refitted by the British when they captured her in 1796, this was the Armament:

Armament:  Upper Deck twenty-four 9-pound long guns, Quarterdeck eight 4-pound long guns and four 12-pound carronades, Forecastle two 4-pound long guns and two 12-pound carronades.  Apparent actual armament:  Upper Deck twenty-four 32-pound carronades, Quarterdeck eight 18-pound carronades, Forecastle two 6-pound long guns.

It's a fictional ship but her actions were inspired by the USS Essex (linked above) which was portrayed in the book as the USS Norfolk.

Ironically, the USS Norfolk of the era was a 200 ton brig, nothing close to a frigate.  However, in the books they do describe her much like Constitution, one of the American 'heavy frigates'.

• Like 1

I watched olav deng's review on the essex like 10 mins after posting that lol, he mentioned that it is technically the same model, my bad on the double post, was using my phone.

The 3D model in the M&C movie is Constitution, no question.

It sounds right that O'Brian's Norfolk was based on the Essex, however.

• Like 1

The 3D model in the M&C movie is Constitution, no question.

It sounds right that O'Brian's Norfolk was based on the Essex, however.

You are right sir, I watched the movie again because you know...why not? :D The exact same model especially it's stern. There are some shots where you can see her stern and no doubts, it's the Constitution. :)

• Like 1