Game-Labs Forum

Ships that have blown up should not be capturable.

Why can an enemy capture my ship that just blew up ?

My ship is made of wood not steel to resist the damage from an explosion.

What is the logic here ?

Ships that blow up should be destroyed not captured.

• Like 1

Ships don't sink just because they blow up. It depends on how fierce the explosion is. It could easily render the ship inoperable by knocking out too much crew, but at the same time not cause critical leaks.

Go find me a reference to any sailing ship that survived a magazine explosion.

In-game explosions involve a massive fireball and a shockwave that threatens nearby vessels. That's a main magazine explosion. Hundreds of pounds of powder. Nothing survives that.

The magazines are located under the waterline, as far from the crew as possible. An explosion there is going to snap the keel like a twig. In Empire: Total War ships explode and crack in half. That's probably not much of an exaggeration. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzIq_hwVLek

Here is a single ton of gunpowder destroying a building. Tell me again about ships staying float and being put back into service after a few thousand doubloons of repairs.

Because that's a building and not a ship.

That house had maybe single sheet plywood walls and or roof? A ship has thick wood beams and planks. It might kill crew due to shockwave or blast but the ship itself may float and not sink. unless it catches fire again and it burns down.

You don't know what it is that exploded.

Yes, I do.

I know that an atomic bomb exploded over Nagasaki in 1945 even though I wasn't there. Because barring magic, there was nothing else in the world that could create that sort of blast.

Please stop being deliberately dense in order to slavishly justify existing game settings.

• Like 3

Well expecting ships to sink or at least be no longer be usable isn't a weird idea. In many, if not all, cases the powder/handling room was below the waterline. I could imagine that an explosion there could crack the ship or at least cause critical leaks causing it to be merely floating rubble than an actual ship.

The footage is from a documentary where they recreated the gunpowder plot and asked: would they have been able to blow up the parliament building and kill everyone in it? They then gave it a try (test dummies and all) and recreated the known conditions around it (it is an interesting watch btw).

A ship will have some of the same factors that are explained in the full documentary: water is uncompressible so when the magazine down below blows up it acts like the cellar of the building: the expanding air will be redirected upwards, so a magazine explosion will probably look fairly similar.