Game-Labs Forum

Thieves in nation

KoTiKos

Are there in game mechanics to prevent scamming, yes. (Both parties make an offer which is visible before clicking accept)

Were they circumvented via a bug or exploit, no.

It was a dick move and the community "black listing" them is a likely and sensible outcome but I fail to see how you can justify getting the admins to do anything.

He willingly clicked multiple times to accept the trade knowing there was no ship in the slot. An expensive lesson for sure, but well within the working mechanics of the game.

If they want to use it as justification for building a better trade system then great, but outside of that it just means developer time babysitting the tribunals because people don't apply some common sense.

Edited by MalakithSkadi
  • Like 2

Are there in game mechanics to prevent scamming, yes. (Both parties make an offer which is visible before clicking accept)

Were they circumvented via a bug or exploit, no.

It was a dick move and the community "black listing" them is a likely and sensible outcome but I fail to see how you can justify getting the admins to do anything.

He willingly clicked multiple times to accept the trade knowing there was no ship in the slot. An expensive lesson for sure, but well within the working mechanics of the game.

If they want to use it as justification for building a better trade system then great, but outside of that it just means developer time babysitting the tribunals because people don't apply some common sense.

Perfect answer. Enough Said.

Should be allowed!

Player Crime -> Player Justice.

I am sure that a couple of people would gladly help you hunt them down and make their lives miserable in game. Especially if they are pirates.

I'm not talking about sending PM's and Private Messages with immature threats. 

If they were to be harassed (In PvP) enough they would most likely eventually give you what you were asked to be left alone. At least that is what you can hope for.

Wishful thinking from my side, i can't do it due to belonging to the Swedish nation. But hey, i would still do it! 

I'd also recommend not do that kind of trades in the future. People are idiots, you gotta think that at all times. 

Edited by edmald

I am sure that a couple of people would gladly help you hunt them down and make their lives miserable in game. Especially if they are pirates.

I'm not talking about sending PM's and Private Messages with immature threats. 

If they were to be harassed (In PvP) enough they would most likely eventually give you what you were asked to be left alone. At least that is what you can hope for.

You are welcome to give it a try... I somehow don't think it will work...

Godspeed!

I would not like at all to be scammed in such a manner. Also we know the names of the people who scammed, they are on the chat log KoTiKos posted here. If i were their clan leader I would publicly denounce their scam, and ask anyone else to put them on the ignore list. Ostracism!!! 

I would suggest to the developers to create a key word for such transactions. If I want a ship, I have to write in the chat a coded sentence (like in a contract) to be typed by both seller and buyer. Something like "contract proposal" and "contract acceptance" should be written by the two parts, and everything after it is the actual deal.

For instance:

Buyer: "Contract proposal: I need an exceptional Navy Brig. I will provide the material, and pay the fee of 20,000 gold pieces."

Seller: "Contract acceptance: I will build the ship exceptional Navy Brig at the above mentioned  conditions."

At this point both players make a screen shot of their chat, as evidence of the agreement. If the devs agree to enforce the deal, and provide serious punishments... maybe it could work.

I am sorry for KoTiKos. I think something has to be done.

Thats fair enough, but i'm sure people are going to exploit this when it's allowed!

How can people exploit this? Its always a fact that you don't give stuff to someone who is not familiar to you. Speak with him and take a security payment of maybe 90% of the material price. You can handle the money in pieces as you trade the materials to the crafter... Thats easy. 

"Trau, schau, wem" we say in Germany. I think every country has a phrase for this case.

Edited by KanoFu

How can people exploit this? Its always a fact that you don't give stuff to someone who is not familiar to you. Speak with him and take a security payment of maybe 90% of the material price. You can handle the money in pieces as you trade the materials to the crafter... Thats easy. 

"Trau, schau, wem" we say in Germany. I think every country has a phrase for this case.

Very simple,

Example;

There isn't a official guide hoe to do things in this game, new player comes and looks for a ship, i say "i can craft one for you" for a cheaper price the they are selling at the capital. Make a agreement that he delivers resources + fee upfront and after it's delivered i wil craft the ship.

He delivers the resources/materials + fee, and i say oke wil craft the ship.

"I wil craft the ship" and i don't, why because i will not be punished for it, so i could do it over and over again even if there made a verbal agreement in PM's wich could used as evidence to investigate.

Exploiting a good mechanic like trading, with bad intentions (scamming).

Sure i agree that people are not wise to do that in this way, but still a basterd move imo, wich should be punished like stealing traders while ramming wich is also misusing a good mechanic for bad intentions.

It only causes people to grief or leaving the game, needless and preventable if this is getting picked up in tribunal cases.

And stil like Henry d'Esterre Darby Said, "Do Not Pay Upfront!!!"

Until this gets picked up in Tribunal cases as a crime.

Thank you.  Currently, there are no rules against this activity, and attempting to enforce any rules would be far too draining on resources.

The official word at this time is that players should be careful who they are doing business with, and only give materials/money up front to those they trust completely.  There might be a feature or two in the future that will help to punish this kind of behavior, however, this is not possible currently.

Scamming in this matter, while frowned upon, is not a tribunal offense.  Caveat emptor.

Case dismissed.