Game-Labs Forum

The supposed reset.

Capture ships, work your way up capping

I'm not one to complain, atleast not too often, however in the global chat of the servers i frequent mainly being PVP US 2 I was wondering how do the developers expect the higher level members to re-obtain their ships and such? I mean supposedly it's a gold and character reset, but say if I frequently solo missions and I'm fighting say a Renomnee in a cutter, how am I expected to gather enough money to get my level ships back? I know the option of small battles are there, but that would take far too long just to get to the point I was previously at.

This isn't necessarily me having a go, I was just wondering at the aspect in the future.

Kind regards fellow Captains,

WilliamofOranje

There isnt really a gold problem with missions, you get far more from doing the damage of the higher missions anyway so the offset risk from wrecking cutters in a frigate is kind of redundant as you are better off wrecking other frigates or brigs.

What I meant was that if there is a reset, high ranking players should be able to do low rank missions if wanted, but have a gold penalty compared to low ranked players that do the same missions. High ranked players could build up quickly even with the penalty.

But maybe a better solution would be to keep it the way it is after a reset, and high ranked players could tag along with low ranked players since you get gold anyways for helping someone else out in a mission.

I'm not one to complain, atleast not too often, however in the global chat of the servers i frequent mainly being PVP US 2 I was wondering how do the developers expect the higher level members to re-obtain their ships and such? I mean supposedly it's a gold and character reset, but say if I frequently solo missions and I'm fighting say a Renomnee in a cutter, how am I expected to gather enough money to get my level ships back? I know the option of small battles are there, but that would take far too long just to get to the point I was previously at.

This isn't necessarily me having a go, I was just wondering at the aspect in the future.

Kind regards fellow Captains,

WilliamofOranje

Actually a good point, if your character is reset then and you can keep yer boot, then you may have to sail as an ensign on a Surprise with 60 crew. They won't be happy. 

My recommendation would be for the devs to provide a redeemable ship for testers for after the wipe. It could have limited durability and would simply be a means of getting people back on their feet.

Wouldn't help people who switch servers after release.

Edited by Aetrion

U forget u can capture ships. 

So if u are admiral in a cutter and have 10 gold coins in your pocket, U go out find a privateer and capture it. Then u find a snow and capture it.  

Then you team up with another snow and capture a renomee.  Do i need to continue?

I have deleted my character three times now. I did not like his name or I wanted to try a different faction. To bad about pirates on the PvE and neutral ports. I went Brit cause I like the flag.

I'm not an admiral. But it is the same concept. Get a cutter. Capture some traders. Get a better ship. Capture a better ship. It isn't that hard. And I suck at this game. And like someone already wrote, if you are playing this game for the gold and the top tier ship you are going to get bored real fast.

I don't need a handout from the Devs to get back on my feet.

• Like 4

I must admit, I never realised I could capture traders with contraband that belonged to my own country, bit of an idiot I am for not knowing. I have no quarrel with beginning again, I think I'd probably end up playing British or Spanish if there was a full reset before the actual release. In fact I think a reset is necessarily good on release as it is fair for newer players and because us, the early access and even closed alpha crowd, have knowledge of the game doesn't take that long to rank up if you put the effort into it.

Overall, thanks guys for the replies you've been quite informative and its helped quite a lot. 

See you out there on the high seas! (maybe)

• Like 1

I must admit, I never realised I could capture traders with contraband that belonged to my own country, bit of an idiot I am for not knowing. I have no quarrel with beginning again, I think I'd probably end up playing British or Spanish if there was a full reset before the actual release. In fact I think a reset is necessarily good on release as it is fair for newer players and because us, the early access and even closed alpha crowd, have knowledge of the game doesn't take that long to rank up if you put the effort into it.

Overall, thanks guys for the replies you've been quite informative and its helped quite a lot. 

See you out there on the high seas! (maybe)

That being my point as well.  We will already have a huge advantage over anyone that hasn't played.  Leaving our rank or gold or crafting exp is kinda overkill and likely to chase off new players.  I know I know, invested time blah blah blah.  If you're like me you bought an Early Access Alpha game.  If you did that and didn't expect a full wipe before release that's kinda your own fault.

I think would be good to give the missions based in the ship you are sailing and not in player's rank.

I fully concur.  The whole idea of having a cutter as a Master and Commander having missions going up against  5th rates is downright broke.  Period.

• Like 1

That being my point as well.  We will already have a huge advantage over anyone that hasn't played.  Leaving our rank or gold or crafting exp is kinda overkill and likely to chase off new players.  I know I know, invested time blah blah blah.  If you're like me you bought an Early Access Alpha game.  If you did that and didn't expect a full wipe before release that's kinda your own fault.

Its not the customers fault and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reset.

Could a theoretical wipe occur if for example an unrecoverable gold dupe occurred with no way to track the guilty or the gold? Sure, maybe. Are you going to sell a game for 40 bucks and then wipe everyone months later because a few people are nostalgic about starting over again? No.

Edited by Sea Nettle
  • Like 1

Its not the customers fault and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reset.

Could a theoretical wipe occur if for example an unrecoverable gold dupe occurred with no way to track the guilty or the gold? Sure, maybe. Are you going to sell a game for 40 bucks and then wipe everyone months later because a few people are nostalgic about starting over again? No.

I'm not expecting a full wipe as it's my understanding they already said they wouldn't.  I still think that my point stands.  Would you be more or less willing to purchase a full release multiplayer pvp game where a large portion of the population already has an insane advantage over you?  All things equal with us all starting at 0 (full wipe) we still have a big advantage over noobs.  Just trying to look at it from a different perspective, not trying to be nostalgic.

o7

U forget u can capture ships. 

So if u are admiral in a cutter and have 10 gold coins in your pocket, U go out find a privateer and capture it. Then u find a snow and capture it.  

Then you team up with another snow and capture a renomee.  Do i need to continue?

Well said Sir.

Panic of things lost, drive some into madness.

One has even gone as far as saying "people grinding high level ships and gold are fools". I say, experience will bring you to success, for a smooth sea  never made a skillful sailor. 

aslong as xp is saved on steam account and are not going to be wiped, and missions is based on rank, not the ship you sail, then they simply cant wipe.

if missions where to be based on ships(and that is not a hard fix to create), they can do as many wipes as they want for all i care.

im here only for one thing, play on pve server, grind missions and coops, and get the biggest ship asap. and i wont be alone whit this mindset as the game gets clouser to open beta.

Edited by Nitefrost