Game-Labs Forum

State of the game on release.

I was wondering, what state are the devs aiming to release the game in? In a WoT-esque style PvP matchmaking arena, or an actual open world MMO?

Personally I believe we're a little too far from an open world MMO but I don't know how much progress the devs have made or what aims they have in mind so...yeah ^^ peoples thoughts/informations?

fist step is an match play system like we have now

second step more content crew and boarding if i was right?

thrid step Open world and economy.

list looks short but it isnt there is still alot still to be desided.

So when the game is released in early access in a few months, we'll have only the match play system (Which is a significant step ofc)? Has that been confirmed somewhere? Or have there been any details to how it'll work on release?

And I'm intrigued to hear about boarding. Have we had any details on how that's going to work?

matchplay first with early acces 

release will be the matchplay for the ones who only want pewpewpew without much eco behind it

and Open world with player economy many nations that you can sail for Britain France Spain Portugal Sweden.. and more

the location will not only be  a single part of the world like in potbs just careabean but europe, mediteran, east coast of US and and

We promised to be direct and honest - so not going to provide marketing fluff here.

We use community driven development. We develop MVP (minimal viable product) with 1-2 features that are awesome and best in the industry and then work with users to iterate and improve.

So far we were able to create

1) Best looking age of sail visuals

2) Fun, deep and realistic representation of age of sail combat (that will become even better with tweaking)

3) Multiplayer functionality

On early access release we will have these. 

Hopefully Open world prototype will also be launched at the same time - (prototype only).

If OW prototype is not fun - we will cut it and focus on player requested features only. Like custom battles, custom servers etc. 

If open world is fun and awesome - we will be spending more time on sandbox.

• Like 4

Thank you for replying.

So, hypothetically speaking, if things don't go completely to plan you could change the focus completely and change the game from being aimed to become a MMO Sandbox world to a World of Tanks-esque PvP game?

Thank you for replying.

So, hypothetically speaking, if things don't go completely to plan you could change the focus completely and change the game from being aimed to become a MMO Sandbox world to a World of Tanks-esque PvP game?

To a FSX or Ship simulator multiplayer focused game. CS GO could be a good alternative comparison.

To a FSX or Ship simulator multiplayer focused game. CS GO could be a good alternative comparison.

always good to have a plan B

but i believe were in the ERA of Sandbox games and tbh i think this openworld idea will have more succes ( at the moment ) but yeah really awesome and im looking forward to get my hands on it.

awesome !

• Like 1

why not both? match making game like WoT for quick action if you dont ahve time to haul a ship load to the next habour against the wind.

+ exesiv test report from matchmaking game mode on new ships wich can be fixed befor heading into Open world

it would be a shame if the game will be only about pewpewpew and not who is actually the best in sailing his ship.

being the fastes merchant in any weather condition would be a nice bonus that you could put on top of your selling price.

• Like 1

While I certainly hope that plans for open-world sandbox gameplay pan out, I would be thrilled to see Gamelabs take the Bohemia Interactive route.

Namely, opening up the game to modders and private servers, so that the mainstream MP component can co-exist with usermade arcade game-modes, pirate RPGS and sailing simulators.

I'm glad to hear that you guys are still open to the future of the game.

I'm not so sure on the CSGO comparison though. I would have presumed you guys would take the progression type model of WoT or WarThunder to give some replayability, if that was the road you went down. So in CSGO terms, you mean to just have people enter matchmaking and "buy" their ships/guns/whatever once they're in and then play a 5on5 or 10on10 or whatever? Or a similar model of just enter a game, pick any ship available and then fight? 

Sounds promising either way, just trying to get a general idea of whats running through your heads at the office ^^ But like dutch said, I hope people really take on to the MMO side of the game and really encourage you to invest more resources developing it later down the line.

• Like 1

I hope the development for Open world MMO stays on course as this is what I am ultimately waiting for, I want a complete sandbox style experience.  If I want to play quick battles then I always have the up and coming Wargaming's World of Warships to dabble with.  War Thunder also are going about it the same way by doing quick battles first then later World War (type of open world multi war zones) coming in a year to two after their navy has been released.

My only concern for Game Labs is spreading the customer base too thin, so also while the Arma/Battlefield series is great fun to play with and many amazing mods supported by players especially for Arma, I am not sure that is what Game Labs are aiming for but I could be wrong.  I rather have all the players in one pot enjoying the same experience than spreading them out in small pockets.

As this amazing game gets more and more media attention and obviously word of mouth is doing wonders here you only have to look at the focus testing thread for new people signing up, we will also attract diffierent people who have or enjoy different playing styles, some like the PotBS and eve online mmo style, others like the Arma2, World of Tanks, War Thunder style.  Going to be interesting how Game Labs balance this for their customers.

As this amazing game gets more and more media attention and obviously word of mouth is doing wonders here you only have to look at the focus testing thread for new people signing up, we will also attract diffierent people who have or enjoy different playing styles, some like the PotBS and eve online mmo style, others like the Arma2, World of Tanks, War Thunder style.  Going to be interesting how Game Labs balance this for their customers.

Some people like Picasso, some like Eminem.

It is impossible to balance for everyone - some players will be unhappy with what we are doing and it's fine. 

"If you defend everything - you defend nothing"

Frederick

• Like 3

Some people like Picasso, some like Eminem.

It is impossible to balance for everyone - some players will be unhappy with what we are doing and it's fine. 

"If you defend everything - you defend nothing"

Frederick

I'm really happy to see you say this. I think that the design mentality of "please everyone" is exactly what killed POTBS. Community feedback can be great, but if you try to make everyone happy it typically ends up as a big mess. 

• Like 1

I really hope to see the Open World.

Instant battles are fun, but after a while, the pewpew becomes boring without a real goal.

What is a real goal ? Make your clan/nation the best, capture enemy harbour for the glory of your king, trade, ships building,etc... everything that makes you invest (time & money) deeper in the game.

I have played WOT, WT, EVE.

Despite WT being better than WOT (only my opinion), i played WOT longer than WT before reaching the edge of boredom, thanks to the clan wars of WOT.

Eve is just an amazing MMO thanks to his deep open world.

I have just started playing as a Tester and from what I have seen or experienced so far is excellent. 

How Game-Labs takes our advice is completely up to them. How they develop is completely up to them. But from all the threads and posts that I have read there are volumes of great ideas and it's up to the developers to seperate the wheat from the chaff. 

I have played both styles of MMO's....World of Pirates, PotBS, Navyfield, World of Tanks, War Thunder and Arma II(DayZ) and I agree on two things; 

1) there will be people that are going to be disappointed,

2) if you try and please everyone...the game goes to crap

Every good game that comes out and does well is because the community that it created focused on the reality of all who played it not just individuals. 

As the game is going to be started in pew pew mode, it's still important to give players a goal ig.

It could be to deblock big ships, it could be to get best leaderboard, it could be to overrules others society but bc to not send a games that is great while played but wihtout make something around a least a minimal work around.

Wot would not have been a succes if wargaming would have just launch their game with 4 tanks and nothing more.

The xp/money force people to play to become better and the society force people to become better to control something. It encourage people to play.

I play on steam many games greats that just stop because players were not playing it. It was a shame, it was hard because i really loved them but it's players who finnaly decide if they want to pay or not on your game and if they want to spend time in.

If people need to wait 10 min to get a fight, slowy but surely everyone will leave the ships so focus a bit pz on what you plan to launch, pewpew ok, but something around is necessayr for my point of view.

For example you can see as "old" tester stop to play between the patch because we don't feel the "necessary" to play.

For example you can see as "old" tester stop to play between the patch because we don't feel the "necessary" to play

its not like the calulation of evry thing is run over the server to avoid cheats or hacks run over the client

so they need some stress testing of it. i would hide in a corner and be ashamed if i would do the same with such an mentality.

nothing against you just the once who think like that.

So when am i alowed to use my testing key then ive got prommised to been in it an long time ago and why is it britain and all the rest and not dutch........ My friends keep nagging my head and there are an loth of them i keep telling them to be patient but maybe you can inlight us an litllebit so i can get them of my back. If you still need testers and other things you can always contact me and my friends will be happy to be of help we got manny people that well do manny things whit programs and things.the date maybe next year or after???

great regards

and Fan and well mutch more :-P

All I would love is a game like the 2003 Pirates of the caribbean with advanced graphics and more complex features and honestly if the game is like what it is on the released videos I would be fine if the game would be released as such as I enjoy playing a game exploring its features while developers add more and fix and improve existant features

I really hope you guys stick with your vision.. if thats open world then bloody awesome.. if its match making like wot then I will also be fine with that as we need a good age of sails game either way hehe :)

Its important to listen to the community but sometimes the ideas they come up with can be bad hehe :)

So when am i alowed to use my testing key then ive got prommised to been in it an long time ago and why is it britain and all the rest and not dutch........ My friends keep nagging my head and there are an loth of them i keep telling them to be patient but maybe you can inlight us an litllebit so i can get them of my back. If you still need testers and other things you can always contact me and my friends will be happy to be of help we got manny people that well do manny things whit programs and things.the date maybe next year or after???

great regards

and Fan and well mutch more :-P

Hey Serial

we have invited everyone who posted in the last invitation topic. Have you requested the key in it?