Game-Labs Forum

"You failed to complete the mission"

Happened to me yesterday. It was my cutter vs. a pirate cutter, we were both down to half armor, and I shot up his sails pretty good; but neither of us was sinking. The battle timer had over an hour on it still. I had zero leaks and not much damage to the "internals". I definitely didn't sink (my sails were still up and I was moving), when suddenly I get a message "you failed to complete the mission" and I get teleported back to Charlestown with 100% hull, sails, etc (indicating probably that the game counted me as killed and respawned).

Any idea what could have happened?

Nope, not on fire, not leaking, not sinking, 39 crew alive and sails at close to 100%. Enemy also not on fire. My only major damage was armor. I would have been able to tell that I was on fire because when it happened I wasn't aiming. I guess it's a bug just like Wind said.

Likely a bug. I was teleported once for no apparent reason across the map. From Florida to Costa Rica. 

when suddenly I get a message "you failed to complete the mission" and I get teleported back to Charlestown with 100% hull, sails, etc (indicating probably that the game counted me as killed and respawned).

Any idea what could have happened?

That very much sounds like an explosion killed you.  Perhaps a shot hit you at that moment and you blew up right away?  Extremely rare, but can happen.

But even if you're dead, you still have to chose to leave the battle.

Not if you blow up and lose all your crew.  The one time I have blown up was the first time I saw a ship catch on fire last March or April.  I caught a snow on fire, admired the new feature by getting close and watching the fire, then flash and I was back in port.

Not if you blow up and lose all your crew.  The one time I have blown up was the first time I saw a ship catch on fire last March or April.  I caught a snow on fire, admired the new feature by getting close and watching the fire, then flash and I was back in port.

Ah. Alright. I didn't know that.