Game-Labs Forum

Rough Seas in combat

So in early alpha testing we had rough seas; they were brutal, they were annoying and they were awesome all at once.

My question(s): Where did they go, and are they coming back?

My request: I'd like to see them back if they are not already intended. And if possible, see them sync with the open world storms.

My reasoning is this:

In early alpha testing, the maps were random, the storms were unable to be planned for, or avoided. Now, with the open world however, battles are no longer just random matchmaker maps.

People attack other players or NPCs and calculate the angle and direction of attack before engaging. So battles can be planned. Thus, during the most severe thunderstorms on the open world, the ones where the waves are tossing your ships around, I'd like to see battle encounters while in these storms to reflect that. It's rather disjointed going from that, entering a mission or open world combat and having glassy smooth water and bright sunshine rather than the thunder, lightning and rough seas. The rainy, slightly choppy waters in battle are fine for when its a normal rain storm going on in the open world, but just doesn't seem to go far enough for those super storms you can seem to run across.

This would make players think twice about when and how they are attacking people or NPCs during these storms. It would give traders who are only interested in fleeing any combat a sort of safety buffer by hiding in the storm to escape a blockade. And overall, would make the game, in my opinion, much more immersive and give it more depth.

Edited by maturin
  • Like 4

The rough seas are already back in the game, synced to (relatively rare) stormy weather in the OW.

Do the seas perceptibly worsen during storms? I don't have an answer myself but wouldn't be surprised if the atmospherics (haze, rain, thunder) create an illusion of rougher seas while the wave level remains the same as ever.

A big problem in this game is that weather essentially means nothing. All wind speed is constant (it's ludicrous that this isn't a more complained about issue, since it changes tactics dramatically. Under a heavy wind slower, heavier vessels should have a speed advantage since they can better plow through waves than lighter vessels).

Since wind level is always constant, our sea level always seems constant (if there are variations they are too minor). There is never a calm sea, only the moderate ~2 meter crests we seem to always see. We should range from calm to full out dive-and-trough seas that threaten to capsize smaller craft, and planning for sea type would be a needed additional strategic element in combat.

Let us hope that wind is soon assigned a numeric value that can change, and that will influence sea behavior. Let us also hope that wind changes on the OW are no longer linear radial rotations but variable within reason. It's a bit stunning how far into development this game is - a sailing game - with still the very most rudimentary treatment of such an essential element to the sailing experience.

• Like 6

If anything historically credible captains and crews would be way more concentrated in keeping the ships afloat than worrying about the enemy.

But in trials was somewhat fun. The battle last two or three times more though.

Unsure if I would even fight through them in OW. I would simply sail away best I could. The waves are big enough to rock hard a 1st rate.

Experienced the awesome experience of navigating in stormy weather the other day. The heavy rain, strong waves and the rolling thunder was fantastic.

Only thing missing is lightning.

Since your visibility is greatly reduced, I would love to see the sky light up for a few seconds, allowing me to see other ships and maybe the coastline for 1 second before going dark again and the sound of thunder.

Closer the thunder comes after lightning, the closer you are in the middle of the storm, as the storm calms down, you delay further and further the thunder from the lightning.

I remember heavy seas before OW. Was nice and fun for a change and forced players to close in rather than snipe long cannon all day.

Do I remember correct that waves could damage your ship back then?

Edited by shifty

I played way back the day this hit steam and I rather liked storms even back then - they gave an advantage to smaller ships that could use the waves as both cover and to lengthen their shots.  It made it combat a very dynamic thing.  I never really did understand all the outcry against storms and would love to have them back in.

Be real nice to have them line up with OW storms (the "large" waves in battles are NOT storms, I can assure you of this).  It'd change up battles a bit, especially if it came with shifting wind (say tends to be from the same general direction but "wiggles" around up to like 40 degrees either way?).

Glad to see I was not the only one disappointed at not seeing the big storms in combat like we used to during the damage testing sea trials.

Poll keeps getting removed, so people have to post whether they agree or not and their opinions I guess.

I miss the storms/gales during combat from the sea trials . It added alot of spice when it was 'somewhat less common', making the game more dynamic. Spicing up storms on the OS would be more than welcome as well.

I also agree the wind direction in battles need to be tweaked, as the same direction and same strength gets old after awhile and doesn't lend credibility to the game's strong setting.

I "liked" this, but it is so spot-on that it bears quoting.  We REALLY need variable wind and weather that matters.  

Do the seas perceptibly worsen during storms? I don't have an answer myself but wouldn't be surprised if the atmospherics (haze, rain, thunder) create an illusion of rougher seas while the wave level remains the same as ever.

A big problem in this game is that weather essentially means nothing. All wind speed is constant (it's ludicrous that this isn't a more complained about issue, since it changes tactics dramatically. Under a heavy wind slower, heavier vessels should have a speed advantage since they can better plow through waves than lighter vessels).

Since wind level is always constant, our sea level always seems constant (if there are variations they are too minor). There is never a calm sea, only the moderate ~2 meter crests we seem to always see. We should range from calm to full out dive-and-trough seas that threaten to capsize smaller craft, and planning for sea type would be a needed additional strategic element in combat.

Let us hope that wind is soon assigned a numeric value that can change, and that will influence sea behavior. Let us also hope that wind changes on the OW are no longer linear radial rotations but variable within reason. It's a bit stunning how far into development this game is - a sailing game - with still the very most rudimentary treatment of such an essential element to the sailing experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I "liked" this, but it is so spot-on that it bears quoting.  We REALLY need variable wind and weather that matters.  

I agree. I would eventually like to see things like realistic wind direction (such as land and sea winds during the day and night) and variable wind speeds so some ships can really show off their best sailing qualities.

But my biggest gripe right now is that there are no REAL stormy weather when in combat. Hopefully the devs are already working on this, but I hope to one day see wind that doesn't move just counter-clockwise, combat instances that mirror the OW weather and wind that has realistic patterns near land both in combat and in OW (Ie. land causing land and sea breeze depending on day/night).

• Like 1