Game-Labs Forum

Manual rank-up

Short and simple, I'd like ranking up to be optional, so when you reach the needed XP for the next rank, you have to hit a button to actually rank up.

I'd like to see this implemented for multiple reasons, among them is the fact that it would support roleplay of groups, and another one is a personal rebellion against the

"bigger is better" attitude most people seem to have with things.

Not everyone wants to ride that Santisima as Admiral of the Fleet.

Options for the way I'd say!

• Like 3

Well, you can still sail a Lynx when you are Post Captain, if you want.

The only reason why I think people would want this button is to not lose the option to hire AI... and there is a reason why they took out the option to do that once you leveled up enough.

You missed the point, please read my suggestion again.

Additionally, I provided two reasons.

Had no idea about the AI thing, hired a cutter once and was only annoyed by it, but if that may be a problem, it could still be bound to "total XP" and not "displayed rank" or something.

However, I have the feeling you didn't read my post at all...

Nothing stopping you from staying in a Cutter even as a  rear admiral.

Same to you - did you actually read the few lines of text or did you just wanted to raise your post count?

Yes, I did read your post. And no, I don't see much sense in it... Being Rear Admiral doesn't force you to sail bigger ships, but it does show that you are more experienced.

Another thing that comes to my mind is... Well, with the option to hide your real experience, I think it's possible to make seal clubbing easier, since a rookie would run from a fight against a rear admiral Lynx, preventing him from getting destroyed with ease. That might not be a major concern, but well... The possibility is there.

You're quite suspicious, aren't you?

At first it was the thought about AI fleets, now seal clubbing... do you come from EVE where everyone just tries to backstab the next player in the worst possible way?

My personal goal, mind my nickname, is to reach the rank of Master and Commander, sail my Surprise and simply enjoy that - I do not strive for anything else (yet).

I realized that I would still progress in rank and there is nothing I could do about it - hence this suggestion was born.

No vicious thoughts as to how I can screw someone over, as you can see.

However, I do see your point, though I don't think it would be a real problem. There are good beginners and bad experienced players, you can see that already in the game.

It's not about you, you know. It's about the game. And yes, I am thinking negative on many things. However, again, this is nothing against you. But I think it IS important to think of how certain game mechanics COULD be abused or exploited, so that we can prevent exactly this. Maybe I am sometimes a bit over the top, but in the end I am not the one who decides ;)

But I think it IS important to think of how certain game mechanics COULD be abused or exploited, so that we can prevent exactly this.

Definitely, I completely agree.

While I haven't thought it through - it was more of a shower thought - I don't see potential problems, but that is why I put it down here, so people share their thoughts.

You're quite suspicious, aren't you?

At first it was the thought about AI fleets, now seal clubbing... do you come from EVE where everyone just tries to backstab the next player in the worst possible way?

My personal goal, mind my nickname, is to reach the rank of Master and Commander, sail my Surprise and simply enjoy that - I do not strive for anything else (yet).

I realized that I would still progress in rank and there is nothing I could do about it - hence this suggestion was born.

No vicious thoughts as to how I can screw someone over, as you can see.

However, I do see your point, though I don't think it would be a real problem. There are good beginners and bad experienced players, you can see that already in the game.

First off, as Master and Commander, you should try finding a brig instead of Surprise...

That said, I agree with mirror452; just because you won't abuse a system like that doesn't mean nobody else will.  Additionally, even Aubrey made Admiral eventually (though he still missed sailing a frigate as opposed to a ship of the line).  So, there may have been some suspicion as to your motives until they were explained (yes, I read the original post thoroughly).  Even so, such a little thing as rank doesn't change what your actions would be.  The only downside is that you'd have to search out enemies of similar vessel rating instead of just doing the missions once you reach a certain rank because the adversary would be too powerful without some assistance from friends.  But this game isn't really about those missions.  They are just a mechanic to assist in leveling.  If you don't want to level, don't do them and just search out other enemies instead.  Then, your rank would really not matter.

You missed the point, please read my suggestion again.

Additionally, I provided two reasons.

Had no idea about the AI thing, hired a cutter once and was only annoyed by it, but if that may be a problem, it could still be bound to "total XP" and not "displayed rank" or something.

However, I have the feeling you didn't read my post at all...

Same to you - did you actually read the few lines of text or did you just wanted to raise your post count?

You yourself can make it an option. there is nothing stopping you from staying at what ever rank you want. The game is not forcing you to level up so your rebellious way are not in jeopardy.

*sigh*

It's... I even wrote it down. It is all there.

Just...why!? -.-

It really is not a reason though, you seem to want it just to have it. You want to Roleplay? make your own ranks in a teamspeak or own forums, simple as that.

Edited by Lord Roberts

It really is not a reason though, you seem to want it just to have it. You want to Roleplay? make your own ranks in a teamspeak or own forums, simple as that.

Hey if you don't like it, it's totally cool - just say it and be done with it.

The thread is not about me or my personal motives - I shared them after questions arised - it is about the idea of optional/manual rank-up.

Yay or nay - nothing more to it.

Short and simple, I'd like ranking up to be optional, so when you reach the needed XP for the next rank, you have to hit a button to actually rank up.

I'd like to see this implemented for multiple reasons, among them is the fact that it would support roleplay of groups, and another one is a personal rebellion against the

"bigger is better" attitude most people seem to have with things.

Not everyone wants to ride that Santisima as Admiral of the Fleet.

Options for the way I'd say!

I have often wanted this in the past when making new characters, but have never suggested it nor thought to suggest it.  +1  It is more of an immersion factor.  Say I want a character that only sails fore-and-aft vessels or brigs.  It is a little immersion breaking to be a rear admiral sailing a Lynx.  Or say I want to pretend to be a privateer.