Game-Labs Forum

Chickamauga: WHAT A JOKE

JochenHeiden

So on the first day I captured all 4 fords, but in the last 3 minutes of the battle the Union slips an invisible cavalry unit into the bottom ford, captures it, and I am therefore DEFEATED at Chickamauga, and I LOSE THE WAR!!  What a JOKE.  I won Gettysburg in one day, why didn't the war end then??  You're telling me the game is over because I only held 3 of 4 fords on the first day of ONE battle?  Give me a break.

I quit.

6 hours ago, JochenHeiden said:

What I meant was that I finished Gettysburg on the first day of the battle by capturing Cemetery Ridge.  That didn't seem to stop the war, that huge moment, but losing 1 piddly ford does?  Such BS.

Why should winning Gettysburg on the first day end the war?

Rather than blame what appears to be a programming error in your mind possibly, consider the opening rules of the battle if conditions warrant that you hold victory points for a period of time to win, then those are the conditions you have to meet. Be aware, you also may be required to not lose a particular portion of your forces, as well.

And as was mentioned you as a player need also to be aware of your total accumulated reputation.  You are not playing this for yourself, there is a programed government on each side that you need to appease as well.

Your possible failure to meet requirements to win battles it's not the game nor the developer's fault. :)

CSA did same to me at Shiloh, slipped two brigades down my left flank and got to Pittsburgh Landing. Not a game ender though... but it pissed me off and thaught a lesson - always have some troops at VP's, even two skirmirshers would buy me some time to get any serious troops there and lick'em.  

But why Chickamauga is a game-ender that I do neither know nor understand, can understand Cold Harbor, but Western Theatre? 

Alright.. it was due to reputation.  I was at 39, and a defeat cost 40.  I didn't understand the game mechanic well.  I replayed the battle's first day and held the fords longer and am now starting day two with reinforced units.  I lost so many men storming those bridges!!

• Like 1

Alright, so I just finished Chickamauga after having to play it THREE TIMES TO WIN.

This battle is NEARLY UNWINNABLE as Confederates!!!  You are outnumbered 2 to 1 for the ENTIRE battle and are forced to ATTACK 5 points and hold them with the enemy being completely entrenched!  Devs, please rebalance this map so a normal player has some sort of chance to win this.  I go back to my original statement, WHAT A JOKE.  I lost 20k men, enemy lost 40k men, in a battle that historically didn't have a lot of significance on the outcome of the war.

7 hours ago, JochenHeiden said:

Alright, so I just finished Chickamauga after having to play it THREE TIMES TO WIN.

This battle is NEARLY UNWINNABLE as Confederates!!!  You are outnumbered 2 to 1 for the ENTIRE battle and are forced to ATTACK 5 points and hold them with the enemy being completely entrenched!  Devs, please rebalance this map so a normal player has some sort of chance to win this.  I go back to my original statement, WHAT A JOKE.  I lost 20k men, enemy lost 40k men, in a battle that historically didn't have a lot of significance on the outcome of the war.

Your army numbers are a little iffy. You should have AO9-10 at that point and fielding a lot of men. I brought 36k to the Union's 50k (and I run notoriously light), which ends up being basically even with how much you outnumber them on Day 1 and how you can basically clear the entire field of their initially deployed forces.

There are only 3 main points you need to attack if you can hold onto your initial VPs (doable, they're decent defensive positions though you may find better luck in pulling back from one of them further south a little bit), so just ignore the far southern crossing and refusing that flank and take the northern three.

As for moving against an entrenched foe, please remember maneuver warfare and strategic flanking. The AI will forcibly withdraw its forces when it realizes that it is flanked, even out of good defensive positions, so you can use this to your advantage to destroy them.

I brought two full corps to the battle and it totalled 65k men in 50 brigades according to the ore battle screen and the enemy had equal numbers. However at NO POINT was I given access to every unit. I was at a huge numbers disadvantage on day two for the entire battle despite it saying I would have 65k men with all brigades available.  The Union had 65k men on field, I know this because my reconnaissance level is high  

Whats worse is that it is competely NOT initiative whatsoever which points has to be taken and which can be skipped. The way the interface displays things it makes it seem as though ALL points has to be taken and held. I spent a lot of time and troops taking every single point then leaving a guard at each because the damn AI comes out of the weeds to retake points with 3 minutes left in the game.

if it says in the battle screen Iam getting two full corps then it needs to let me have it. I never had 20k of my troops on the field and trying to attack the Union who had a ginormous numbers advantage is nuts. chickamauga was hands down the absolutely hardest battle I've played thus far in this game and it should not have been. I steamrolled the Union at Gettysburg on day one and won that battle easily but this was 100x harder.  my army is decimated and I can barely replace those losses. I killed 40k union troops and I guarantee you next battle they'll all be back at full strength with 1861 Springfields and vet troops while I'm still with rookie replacements running Enfields and Harpers Ferry rifles.  Just sucks. 

Edited by JochenHeiden

You can view the battle objective by clicking the button on the far upper right of the screen. That would tell you that you need to hold all of your VPs, take the two northern Union VPs, and take either one of the southern Union VPs (middle victory condition). It's thus easiest to ignore the far bottom one and isolate the forces down there and just flood the north.

If you maintain clean battle lines and look to encircle the enemy troops you generally shouldn't have problems with enemy troops coming out of the woodwork. You should still have guards on your points anyway just in case but it's not really a big deal.

I do agree that it's a little strange that you never get to field the 4th division of the 2nd corps (and maybe part of the 3rd division? I don't remember) but a single division and change shouldn't be killing you.

There are a lot of good playthroughs here and there that may give you some ideas if you watch how other people approach the battle.

• Like 1

I think the devs need to fix this broken battle and give me back my missing divisions. ThAt equated to nearly 20k men in the end and could have greatly reduces the casualties I took. My first corps (Lee) was utterly battered holding those two northern points from massive WAVES of enemy brigades constantly slamming. And then I had to counter attack with those shattered units to take that northern VP. And then because I thought I needed all have 2nd corps had to stretch lines thin to take them all. Just horrendous casualties and air do t know how I am going to rebuild my veteran units from it all.  Thanks for the tip on the victory conditions in upper right, I will certainly be using that from now on to avoid needless losses. 

It's normal that you don't get your full army. The last division of the last corps arrives next day. If you win early then it won't hit the battlefield.

This is the confederate campaign, it's made hard for a reason. Being largely outnumbered just represents the south's disadvantage in manpower. I know it can be frustrating but that kind of difficulty can be overcome by rethinking yourstrategy and your army setup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

It's normal that you don't get your full army. The last division of the last corps arrives next day. If you win early then it won't hit the battlefield.

This is the confederate campaign, it's made hard for a reason. Being largely outnumbered just represents the south's disadvantage in manpower. I know it can be frustrating but that kind of difficulty can be overcome by rethinking yourstrategy and your army setup.

There is no "next day."  You either win or lose by the second day, and you don't get the troops you were promised or intended to receive.

The first day is capturing the bridges.  The second day is when the map opens up for Brotherton Cabin and Jay's Mill (and later in the day La Fayette Road and it's capture points).  The third day is Horseshoe Ridge and the points along La Fayette Road, if the neither side has won on the second day.  That is where you get your last reinforcements.

1 hour ago, Grimthaur said:

Im not sure, if this has been hotfixed already but when i played it some days ago and took more than the initial 2 VPs on the 2nd day, i got a loss and didnt proceed to day 3. If you dont capture any of them you proceed further to day 3.

Alright, every time I play this map, it's either win or lose on day 2.  There's no day 3 from what I can see.  You either capture 4 of the 5 or you lose.  I really wish there had been a day 3.