Game-Labs Forum

Is bribery Legal (sorta)

Due to Mod Request-All discussions about this will be dropped because the admiralty will be looking at this case. Our input simply causes more confusion. Thank you all, please dont reply to this discussion anymore. 

Anyways, I put a report in at the tribunal for some teamkillers.

What happens is that one of the friends of the teamkillers told me that they would give me a ship if I closed down the tribunal discussion by saying "it has been resolved".

My questions are the following

1)Is this legal for the game (like not breaking any rules)

2)Is this morally legal 

3)Should I have taken the bribe (cause I refused)

Edited by NiMiTz

So they took away one of your durabilities and are offering to give 5 back?

Sounds like pretty solid Medieval justice to me. Blood money.

I mean....their account is on the line (Green-on-Green is bannable offense)  :P

And they were both sailing some pretty sweet ships. 

I'll let admins decide what to do. 
Edited by NiMiTz

It is good to see resolution outside of the tribunal.  It is now obvious they see the errors of their way, and wish to make amends without an intervention by admin.  Sounds like win, win, win for all parties.  You are adequately compensated, they don't have to face admin's judgement, and admin doesn't have any paperwork to process :)

And bribery is incorrect - it is compensation.  Via admin, the best you'd see if a temporary ban, if that.

• Like 2

It is good to see resolution outside of the tribunal.  It is now obvious they see the errors of their way, and wish to make amends without an intervention by admin.  Sounds like win, win, win for all parties.  You are adequately compensated, they don't have to face admin's judgement, and admin doesn't have any paperwork to process 

Except when I refused and decided to wait it out they became super-pissed and started cussing at me. 

I don't really want blood money, and they showed their true colors when I refused. 

Since they sail a fleet of 5th rates, buying me a brig costs practically nothing to them. They didnt see the error of their ways, not apologizing at all, since apparently the best they can offer are bribes.

I would maybe settle for a public apology but apparently thats too much for their pride.  

Again, I take apologies, not blood money. 

I am a humble person, willing to publicly apologize and even take fault for actions I did not commit. 

However these people with their huge-ass egos are much different. 

Intentionally killing me, then offering me a bribe to not tell admins is one of the most dishonorable things they couldve done.

Edited by NiMiTz

Some may call it a bribe. Some may call it a settlement or proper compensation. It is up to you to decide what direction it is to you. Are you willing to stand by your beliefs and put up with it to resolution. Or do you just want to move on and get repayment in a more tangible form? Your choice man.

• Like 1

Or do you just want to move on and get repayment in a more tangible form

Well I ended up declining and they were super-pissed.

However thanks for the advice, although I hope the admins at least think of compensating me. 

Not knowing the circumstances makes it hard to advice you one way or another.

Was the teamkilling accidental (e.g. you sailed infront of them just as they released a rollling broadside, or they shot too high and hit you on the other side of a target) ?

Was it a deliberate team attack where you got specifically targetted and killed (which, in all honesty, puts it past teamkilling and into a griefing category) ?

If the teamkilling was accidental and they offered you a new ship then I would call it compensation where they try to make amends whether or not it was their fault that you were sunk (as mentioned, unfortunate circumstances, poor navigation, bad gunnery etc).

If the teamkilling was deliberate and targetted, then I would not call it compensation, but bribery. They are simply trying to pay their way out of facing the consequences, and taking the offer means you have just set precedence for how they can act in the future... by simply teamkilling and then paying to get away with it.

The difference between the two is simple... if it was accidental then their ulterior motive for giving you a ship is to simply say "Sorry" and get you back on your feet. In other words, the intention is one of goodwill. If it was deliberate then their ulterior motive for giving you a ship is not to say "Sorry" or help you, but it is an entirely selfish purpose where they do it for their own good and not yours, in order to escape consequences.

So again... not knowing the details of the encounter or what really happened its hard to say what you should do.

But for me... if it was accidental I would have taken the offer and left it at that.

If it was deliberate then I would decline it and let them face the consequences of their own actions.

Compensating you for 1 durability on a Brig? like 10k gold lol, really?. I'd say take that loss like a man. You really didn't need to create another thread for this either, you're beginning to litter the forum with personal drama. I wouldn't call it a "bribe" either, stop being a drama queen, they offered you compensation to drop the issue.

I don't agree with Green on Green / Team killing, but I saw the video and you sailed like an idiot, I don't know what you were thinking, you purposely rammed the Snow that you were "helping" to capture and while doing so you rammed your ally you were "helping". maybe take that measly 10k durability loss as a lesson to not do stupid things, especially at the cost of your Allies.

I do understand your tribunal against them, as green on green is never allowed and you are well within your rights to ask the devs to do something about that, but I feel the lesson you should learn from that encounter is enough compensation. I.E, you don't ram ships you want to capture, you don't ram ships your allies are trying to capture before you came along and most importantly you don't ram allies. I mean really, all this forum whining, like what, 3 threads now, all over 10k gold? You only needed to create the one tribunal thread, instead you are here consistently trying to slander these guys, even after they've offered you compensation for your loss so you would drop the issue.

Edited by LeeUK

Blue on Blue shouldn't be tolerated. It's better to weed people out who can't control themselves then try and excuse it with settlements. Especially if these people were strangers. Blue on Blue can be settled if it's between two people who know each other obviously. But you can't just attack a friendly stranger. You don't know how badly you are screwing them over, whether they had important cargo or certain durability. 

I will ask the question no one seems to ask.  When you made that turn into the snow...what were you thinking?  Did you intentionally turn into it, or was something else on your mind and it was a shit happens moment.

This is kind of the question, that is what triggered it all.  So what were you planning to do when you made that critical turn.

Yes green on Green should never be tolerated.  But the root of the issue is also what triggered the entire thing.  Some people are just jerks...but your case would be far better if you explained to people why you made the turn into the snow.

• Like 1

I will ask the question no one seems to ask.  When you made that turn into the snow...what were you thinking?  Did you intentionally turn into it, or was something else on your mind and it was a shit happens moment.

This is kind of the question, that is what triggered it all.  So what were you planning to do when you made that critical turn.

Yes green on Green should never be tolerated.  But the root of the issue is also what triggered the entire thing.  Some people are just jerks...but your case would be far better if you explained to people why you made the turn into the snow.

He already said in another thread (this is the third one btw) that ramming is a common tactic, so he did it on purpose. Which counts as trolling / griefing in my eyes. But hey, let`s let him start another three threads whining about this issue. :rolleyes:

Edited by Voltaire1512

I would not call ramming trolling.  Trolling is doing it on purpose to cause the other player grief.  And while a ship will gain leaks...even an NPC will fix them.  As for griefing...No.  Since griefing is the repeated effort to cause another player suffering.  Be it the camping of a harbor so they can not leave or seeking them out purposefully to kill them for kicks.

Well, I watched the video. While teamkilling is never acceptable, even if someone attempts to teamkill you, I will say that the way he maneuvered into that Snow was done with in a deliberate attempt at sinking or flipping the Snow.

He's keeping left rudder the whole time, and not Full Left rudder, ie it's holding it automatically, but he is manually, ergo consciously, pressing left rudder to keep pressure onto the Snow right up until it reaches critical point and capsizes.

Again, teamkilling is never tolerated, but I do fully understand why they got really pissed off. Even more so when you can see in that video that he is intentionally maneuvering and holding the maneuver consciously right up until the Snow rolls over.

Oh well.

This thread, if nothing else, is at least a nice lesson in how a story has two sides :P

• Like 1

He's keeping left rudder the whole time, and not Full Left rudder, ie it's holding it automatically, but he is manually, ergo consciously, pressing left rudder to keep pressure onto the Snow right up until it reaches critical point and capsizes.

Basically what im doing is I come in at an angle

The one I make contact, I turn into them until they slow down enough, then I level out. 

I usually have no problem getting up on their side but this was the first time I did it on a snow (and this one flipped like it was a cutter). Never knew snows were that light. 

Basically what im doing is I come in at an angle

The one I make contact, I turn into them until they slow down enough, then I level out. 

I usually have no problem getting up on their side but this was the first time I did it on a snow (and this one flipped like it was a cutter). Never knew snows were that light. 

I don't blame them for being pissed.  While green on green shouldn't be allowed, intentionally pissing off people shouldn't be either.  You did several things intentionally that would really tick me off.  I can understand them being really mad.

Edited by Sea Daddy