Game-Labs Forum

What Creates Open World Fighting Situations Besides Port Battles?

I played a bit on the pre-steam early access, and i was thinking about recommending to friends, but there was one issue I had a question about.  As the title says, what besides port battles brings people together to fight open world PvP?  Especially in terms of smaller groups of players and / or players on lower level ships?

Besides random chance, what game mechanics cause smaller groups of players, or players with smaller ships, to encounter each other and fight? Just to make up an example, if intercepting enemy shipping both gave your faction advantages and hurt their faction, so there were lots of smaller scattered fights as people attempted to raid shipping while protecting their own.   

Or is it just "grind against AI stuff near your own home waters until you are ready to do port battles"?

If you'd like to find some PvP, get in your ship and head into the area around Plymouth, Montserrat.  In the past, there has been no shortage of players in those waters, the Bahamas seems to be a hot spot too at the moment.  Nothing in particular (other than a port battle) currently draws players together to fight, but sailing into a heavily trafficked area will certainly find you other players in singles and in groups to trade cannonades with.

I played a bit on the pre-steam early access, and i was thinking about recommending to friends, but there was one issue I had a question about.  As the title says, what besides port battles brings people together to fight open world PvP?  Especially in terms of smaller groups of players and / or players on lower level ships?

Which nation are you Captain?

Besides random chance, what game mechanics cause smaller groups of players, or players with smaller ships, to encounter each other and fight? Just to make up an example, if intercepting enemy shipping both gave your faction advantages and hurt their faction, so there were lots of smaller scattered fights as people attempted to raid shipping while protecting their own.   

Or is it just "grind against AI stuff near your own home waters until you are ready to do port battles"?

Well, in all reality, sinking any ship of an opposing faction, or capturing it, helps your nation. The enemy lost durability of a ship, they lose their hold items. Thus, very slightly making their nation less powerful in regards to attack and defense of their assets. All the while, you gain experience for larger ships, gold, xp, and their hold. So, you and your nation have gained, they and their nation have lost.

That's how I think of it at least.

Well, in all reality, sinking any ship of an opposing faction, or capturing it, helps your nation. The enemy lost durability of a ship, they lose their hold items. Thus, very slightly making their nation less powerful in regards to attack and defense of their assets. All the while, you gain experience for larger ships, gold, xp, and their hold. So, you and your nation have gained, they and their nation have lost.

That's how I think of it at least.

But that's only if you sink their human ships right?  What I mean is what reason is there (besides a mutual desire to "lets go sail toward enemy territory and hopefully they will do the same") to help bring you into combat with other humans in the open world besides port battles?

I mean what strategic incentive (besides once again "let's just sail in their general direction and hope they do the same") is there to do anything beyond just farm missions outside your capital?  Or maybe you need more money and go after enemy AI shipping... do they have a strategic reason really to defend their AI shipping?

Nothing in particular (other than a port battle) currently draws players together to fight, but sailing into a heavily trafficked area will certainly find you other players in singles and in groups to trade cannonades with.

What  makes those areas heavily trafficked?

Which nation are you Captain?

I'm American, although I played Pirates in the pre steam release.   Now for the moment I'm still off the Carolina coast, so I'm obviously not likely to run into enemy players here, but I'm asking more from a general sense what open world strategic incentives (on a smaller scale than port battles) bring people into contact.

Theres certain ports that see high traffic due to their trade goods or because they are a common passage. Plymoth is a pvp hotzone because in previous cycles those actively seeking pvp would hang around there. Same with areas near st nicholas.

People will start hauling supplies around for crafting and youll have lots of chances to fight players

There is PVP everywhere. Since EA, I have been attacked by player Pirates 3 times. Once solo, once while trying to engage an enemy trader ai, and once in a small group, when 5 pirates tried to jump us. If you want it go find it, and you never know when it will find you anyway!