Game-Labs Forum

New Player Quick FAQ

Here is a quick list of important things to know about Naval Action for all our new captains joining the fray.

1. Four servers

• PvP One- Europe
  • PvE One- North america - Can only attack NPCs
  • PvP Two- North America
  • PvP Three- Europe

2. One character per account
3. Character is shared across servers. Make a character on PvP one, and they will also be created on PvE and PvP Two
4. XP is shared between servers. Gold and ships and crafting XP are not.

• There have been some changes with these two. Not 100% how this is handle atm.

5. Basic cutter is free to purchase and repair. Basic cannons are free, but can only be fitted on the basic cutter
6. XP is gained by dealing damage in battles and completing missions
7. Missions can be taken at any port. Mission location will be marked on your map.
8. Others can enter your missions
9. Rank dictates how much crew you have. If you want to have more crew you must level up.
10. No in game tutorial (yet). Check out the guides in this forum.
11. Sinking? Caught on fire? Press "8" to go into survival mode.

12, You can only use 2 repair kits while in battle: one for hull, and one for sails

13. You can carry out emergency repairs to repair any of the 3 modules (rudder, magazine, pump). This has a cooldown of 6 minutes.

14. Everyone is at war. Just don't attack your Nation's fellow captains

15. If you are a National and you attack an ally, you will turn pirate.

16. If a ship is carrying contraband, it may be attacked, even if it is the same nation as you, with no consequences. 

17. Nationals can enter their own Nation's ports, Neutral ports, and Free ports.

18. Pirates can only enter Pirate and Free ports.

19. Free ports cannot be captured.

20. Pirate is free-for-all. Attack anyone you wish, if you dare.

21. There is no GPS/Current Position Marker in game. Use your map, compass, and landmarks to discern your location

22. Manual sails only work in Combat instances. 

23. Trader ships cannot mount cannons, have smaller crews, but have larger cargo holds

24. "bp" = BluePrint, this is a ship blueprint, allowing you to craft said ship

25. Manual sails are best saved for square-rigged ships (brig and up)

26. The numbers under a ships cannon slot correlate to cannon class,   NOT cannon size/poundage. The first number set designates what class cannons can be used, the second set designates what class carronades can be used

• Example: [8-9]/[7-9] denotes that 8th and 9th class cannons can be mounted (i.e. 6 lb or 4 lb cannons) NOT 9 lb cannons! And that 7th, 8th, and 9th class carronades can be mounted (12 lb carronades). 

I will continue to add points as time goes on and more common questions arise.
Cheers.

Edited by William the Drake
  • Like 9

What is a battle instance? aren't we allowed to engage the ships from the other nations in the free world? I haven't bought the game yet(i'm kinda on the fence right now) but from what I have heard, Nationals can invade the enemy ports whenever they want, so how can it be if players who are in naval combat are separated from the other players? im confused xD

What is a battle instance? aren't we allowed to engage the ships from the other nations in the free world? I haven't bought the game yet(i'm kinda on the fence right now) but from what I have heard, Nationals can invade the enemy ports whenever they want, so how can it be if players who are in naval combat are separated from the other players? im confused xD

The Open world is a condensed, large scale map of the Caribbean. You can attack or 'tag" someone here. When you tag someone, it will bring you into a battle instance, which is a real-scale map separate from the open world. For a brief amount of time after the battle begins, others can enter your battle. After some time passes, the battle will be closed and no others will be allowed to enter. 

Invasion of enemy ports happens the same way; Port Battles happen in the real-scale instances.

The Open world is a condensed, large scale map of the Caribbean. You can attack or 'tag" someone here. When you tag someone, it will bring you into a battle instance, which is a real-scale map separate from the open world. For a brief amount of time after the battle begins, others can enter your battle. After some time passes, the battle will be closed and no others will be allowed to enter.

Invasion of enemy ports happens the same way; Port Battles happen in the real-scale instances.

Thanks! The game mechanics seem perfect! Also is there a limit to the number of ships which can enter an instance? I remember watching a clip on youtube where there was this huuge American fleet fighting an even bigger British fleet. I could count 20-24 us ships alone. Edited by Nau

Hey, I've got a couple questions I hope someone could answer and I don't think a new thread would be needed since you have one open already.

Manual vs Auto Skipper? Is there a benefit to manual skipper compared to auto or is auto good enough to handle most maneuvering?

Sinking a ship: It seems I pump a lot of cannon balls into a ship before sending it to the bottom. Does aiming for the water line improve chances to cause leaks or is damage per side pretty generic? 

I saw mention of arcing your grape shot over the walls of a ship to damage the crew more. How is that possible for most ships? Is it using the swells and rolling your ship so that you can somehow gain height and angle on the other ship?

Manual vs Auto Skipper? Is there a benefit to manual skipper compared to auto or is auto good enough to handle most maneuvering?

The benefits of manual sails are utilized best when sailing square-rigged vessels (brig and up), as opposed Fore-and-aft rigs. As I understand it, Auto skipper simply positions your yards to catch the most wind as possible and thus garner the best possible speed; not necessarily best for maneuvering. 

Sinking a ship: It seems I pump a lot of cannon balls into a ship before sending it to the bottom. Does aiming for the water line improve chances to cause leaks or is damage per side pretty generic?

Yes, aiming below the water-line produces more dangerous leaks, thus resulting in the ship taking on water faster.

I saw mention of arcing your grape shot over the walls of a ship to damage the crew more. How is that possible for most ships? Is it using the swells and rolling your ship so that you can somehow gain height and angle on the other ship?

The is true when firing at a ship that still has armor. If the ship has low armor, then you should be able to damage crew with grape fairly easily when firing through the hull itself. Otherwise, yes, utilize the swells and time your shot so that you angle your shot into the deck of the ship from above, as much as possible at least. This usually requires having a ship of taller or at least equal height.

• Like 1

Unfortunately no, there is no current way to revert from piracy. Embrace the black flag.

No even for a GM/Dev or whatever to revert the process if they even help players with such a thing? XD I'm not embracing no black flag =/   It was purely accidental due to weird/poor interactions with the UI and keyboard shortcuts -.-"  ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...