Game-Labs Forum

Economy buildings

Hi there as you can see on priority proposal poll production buildings leading currently: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/7978-development-plans-prioritization-proposals-and-feedback/

So maybe its time to start discussion what exactly buildings We need in game and how this should work.

My thoughts:

• Resources - buildings like mines, logging camps, plantations, quarrys etc...
  • Factories - buildings like forges, textile mills, lumber mills etc...
  • Shipyards - maybe two sizes of shipyards - Shallow water and Deep water

If we get ammo and provisions as a goods needed to unkeep our ships we need Provisoner and Gun Foundry.

Generally labor will stay as it is. Players have to unkeep buildings (weekly/monthly). Numbers of building will be limited to 3 for example for one player.

Any ideas?

• Like 2

I cant visualize a structure in how that might work..having ur own industry.. how can the devs build a decent trade structure on that system? i think we want 2 much...it's called naval action..not industrial action. i much rather have a shipyard where u can admire your ships and have some nice interfaces. But each player having his own industry buildings? did sea captains at that century all had mines and such? 

a system like port royal perhaps?  i dont know... :huh:

Concept 

Suggested econ progression:

Build Outpost--->Open Warehouse--->Send out explorers--->Discover Resources--->Purchase Land--->Purchase Structure Blueprint--->Gather Structure Materials--->Build Structure--->Start Production

Structure upgrade options:

auto upgrades by using structure/crafting.

Level 2 - 500 hours (+2% prod rate)

Level 3 - 2000 hours (+4% prod rate)

Level 4 - 5000 hours (+6% prod rate)

Level 5 - 10 000 hours (+8% prod rate)

Structure Labor

24 hour real time. Structure can collect 3 days of labor when player is away. Each structure uses different amount of labor time to produce or harvest materials. 

Draftsman's office (Sells structure blueprints)

Blueprints learned from University, Each blueprint requires Rank and hours to learn. 

Land sizes:

Extra structure slots can be purchased inside owned land window.

Tiny - starts with 1 slot and can be expanded up to  2 structure slots.

Small - starts with 1 slot and can be expanded up to  6 structure slots.

Large - starts with 1 slot and can be expanded up to  10 structure slots.

Huge - starts with 2 slot and can be expanded up to  20 structure slots.

Structure list:

Forge 

Logging Camp (Type of wood)

Lumber Mill

Mine (Metal Type)

Plantation (Type)

Quarry (Stone type)

Refinery (Type)

Shipyard (Large)

Shipyard (Small) Shallow

Textile Mill

Asembly Yard

Hunters Shack

Provisioner

Powder Mill

Farm

Vineyard

Winery

Slaughterhouse 

Tanner

Wind, in your proposed system, do the buildings generate resources, or harvest them?  If they generate, it seems impossible to limit the flow of ships to the open world.  If they merely harvest what is already available, how would you determine who gets what resources if multiple people built, say, a gold mine in the same port?

Wind, in your proposed system, do the buildings generate resources, or harvest them?  If they generate, it seems impossible to limit the flow of ships to the open world.  If they merely harvest what is already available, how would you determine who gets what resources if multiple people built, say, a gold mine in the same port?

Concept

You generate labor and use it to harvest resource. Labor is 24 hours in real time. Exploration should be random. For example instead of port producing .... it should say Port resources. Each player gets random exploration resource drop from Port Resource List. Player 1 sent out explorers and found Iron, Player 2 found Wood Oak, Player 3 found wood teak....(this means players unlocked these resources and ready to produce them, one time thing), exploration should be limited to 5 per week on a singe port. (Explorations are time consuming and expensive). So, if you found oak you can buy large land and build 10 structures and start selling oak. Once oak is on the market in Port window it should say Port Produces - Oak (Quantity). Also, NPCs deliver goods from Europe every hour one random resource goes on the market with huge quantity up to 10000 for much higher price compared to what last player listing was. 

I would like to hear developer opinion on this. 

• Like 1

I guess the first question we need to ask is, "Do we want to differentiate it from PotBS? And if so, why?" That "why" should drive us, in turn, to "how."

Something like that...but in NA realm ;)

What about port have specific resources and we can gather them using buildings - resource output can be slow but steady. And when port is conquered we lost our structures.

Something like that...but in NA realm ;)

What about port have specific resources and we can gather them using buildings - resource output can be slow but steady. And when port is conquered we lost our structures.

Concept

Structures can be destroyed (hardcore mode) or Damaged with production stopped for captured period (preferred). SO, after port is back to your nations hands, player must pay money to restore structures and continue production. (Players can always scrap all structures and move on to another port or wait when it will be recaptured).These 2 options can work for my ideas plan 2 is the only plan (structures generate xp by using them). Slow labor regeneration will take care of how much material is produced. Let's say lvl 1 structure can produce only 100 oak logs in 24 hours when lvl 5 can produce lets' say 300. To get lvl 5 structure players must stay in the same port and use same structures. This will make sure port gets taxes from each item made/sold for future Defence - Fort/Cannons expansion. 

• Like 1

Im 120% with brog regarding his last statement. Make collective production byildings, make towns important for the nation instead of the player. Allow otger nations to cripple other nations by targeting their economic core towns.

I once made an elaborate crafting/production suggestion, which i will addapt and post here ehen i get home.

I would like to see Naval Action, as a simulator game integrate all aspects of Naval and Port warfare centered on the protection of trade and infrastructure at a National level.  To create an unrestricted trade system, only restricted by a players own ambition to develop a trade empire.

Port Battles should be based on large scale national interests: economy, production, and ship building.

Open Ocean Patrols focus on disrupting or protecting trade; trade ships become the only means of supplying resources to shipyards.

PVP Naval Actions. strategic value of resources, the need to protect upgraded infrastructure, and maintaining trade lanes becomes a reason for

1.    Resources

Open Ocean objectives can be created by overhauling the resource distribution system in ports and dividing ports into types.  Differentiating ports and spreading our resources is the reason for trade between ports.  Coal needs to be shipped to a forge.  Iron Ingots need to be shipped from the forge to the shipyard.  This creates trader vessels AI and Players on the open ocean and a reason to defend shipping lanes from enemies.

Ports can be one of three types. 

Resource Port. 

Has one raw material.

Manufacture Port. 

Can build one manufacturing building.  Forge / Lumber Mill / Textile Workshop.

Shipwright Harbor / Trade Port.

Has a built in shipyard that a player can rent a dock at to build a ship.  (1hour – 48hours to build)

Regional Capitals

Only place to build Capital Ships – Can also be teleported to without owning an outpost (using a Capital teleport),

2.    Infrastructure

Ports Battles over economic Strategic Ports have meaning and purpose.

Ports can be upgraded in infrastructure levels to allow more players to buy permits for resource buildings or the use of the manufacture center.  Labor is not used in generating resources, each resource collector generates a fixed amount of resource per day and has a maintenance fee that can be paid for on a daily basis or up to 14 days in advance.   The maintenance fee must be paid at the port every 14 days or the permit will be automatically revoked.

The local government of a port is run by the elected Lord Protector or the Flag Purchaser in Conquest.  The Lord Protector sets the price for the purchase of resource permits and a tax rate on maintenance fees.  If you as a new player want to open a coal mine in Pedro Cay you need to buy a permit to open the mine.

Port Infrastructure levels are 1-5 (adjust as the game population increases).  Each level increases the number of coal mines that can be opened.  No one player can have more than 10% of a ports buildings, but other than this do not limit the number of permits any one player can buy.

Each Player can also upgrade their individual mines.  A basic mine produces 12 ore per day, an intermediate 24 ore per day, and an advanced mine 48 ore per day or 2 per hour.  So a maximum coal ore port could maintain 150 permits at 48 ore a day for 7200 coal.  See Trade below for how to get this ore to the manufacturing port/forge.

This makes an upgraded port contain a considerable investment into the port for players and the Lord Protector.  If players are unhappy with the Lord Protector they can call for a new election with a weight given to players with the number of permits they own.  When a port is taken, all resources and infrastructure in the port are lost and can be taken by the victors of the port battle. 

Upgrade

Level |   Permits  |  New Permits  |  Cost to Upgrade    |  Cost Per Permit (Base)

1                5                                   

2              10               5            $   100,000.00              $ 20,000.00

3              25             15            $   250,000.00              $ 16,666.67

4              60             35            $   500,000.00              $ 14,285.71

5            150             90            $ 1,000,000.00             $  11,111.11

3.    Trade

Remove the risk free shipping / delivery system currently in ports.  This is artificial and creates no risk for shipping goods and no reason for traders and haulers. 

Replace the delivery system with either players needing to transport goods in trade ships, or players paying for an AI delivery from one port to another, an actual AI trader ship that sails with your goods.  If the AI is sunk the player would get a small insurance payment, but still less than the upkeep cost of the raw material. 

Edited by ZaND